Why become a member? ×

Hard case for Jazz Bass

T22

So tried a Hiscox case for my Fender Jazz Bass recently. Good case but my guitar was moving around inside.

If anyone could recommend a case that will give my bass a really snug fit and good protection, that would be much appreciated.

Hiscox are probably the best cases available. I'd try to pad the inside to stop any movement. One of my gig bags (Protection Racket) came with banana shaped pads that velcro to the sides in any position you like. It gives a snug fit for any shape of guitar. It might work for you?

Frank.

I have exactly the same issue with Hiscox. Great product and incredibly well made, but My Squier Jazz V, Overwater Jazz and my fretless Jazz have all moved around inside the case and I end up with loads of old cloths/bar towels padding certain areas, which is bloody annoying when you spend a load on a nice case.

I may have an older Hiscox and the new ones might be better but honestly I am not a fan, which has got me into a lot of friendly arguments with musician friends. I also found that when the case had a knock, I could hear that being transferred to the bass and the strings would vibrate/clank and I wasnt happy about that.

I use very padded gig bags these days but the SKB I had with my 2014 American Jazz was incredibly good, but it was made for a Fender Jazz bass. The whole thing just felt and looked classy in my opinion, so I would suggest getting one of those. A guitarist friend has issues with Strat cases from hiscox (but loves their acoustic guitar cases) and he uses Gator and is very impressed by them.

I now have two Hiscox cases and never had a problem with my Jazz (when I had one...) moving in it - there are three extra padded cushions - about 2 x 5 inches in the body section that press down onto the top of the guitar - one on the bridge and one for each horn.

I may be talking through my backside (this isn't uncommon) but don't (didn't?) Hiscox undertake to provide extra pads/cushioning to ensure that in-case movement is minimised? I've had loads of Hiscox cases for Js and Ps and nearly all the basses have moved inside the cases. Great product in general but I find that HIscox cases do require additional padding for some/most basses

Edited by three

• 2 months later...

Late reply to this thread, my bad and my loss with the recommended SKB.

I've heard a few tomes from people that their JB standard fits fine in their Hiscox. Perhaps my Highway 1 JB is of a slightly different shape, but even with the pads it was clearly moving, tried both the old and new versions of the case. I didn't like the handle of the new case, felt a bit flimsy.

Going to give SKB a try, the shaped one seems to have reports of slight design flaws so the rectangular one might be the way to go...

NJE, I have a Gator for one of my strats, it has given excellent protection. Again though, there's slight movement inside which I remedy with a polishing cloth stuffed at the base of the case. Involves fiddling around though and doesn't look 'cool.' Love my Les Paul case, the perfect fit for the instrument which is what I want for my JB.

The Highway JB might simply have slightly different dimensions to the standard...

I've got a Shaped Fender (red badge) case I picked up second-hand
I've put a few Jazz basses in it, and there doesn't seem to be any movement. P basses on the other hand move.... a little bit
Only thing with these cases, they're a very snug fit, and there isn't even room for a strap, without a bit of juggling about and careful arranging
So there's not much room for leads / spare strings etc. Shame, because otherwise it's a nice case - fairly strong and light with it

I was going to suggest a bit of padding, as others have done. As has been said though - that's not good, when you've paid quite a lot of money for a case

Again, the Highway Jazz may be slightly different dimensions to a Standard US - so there may not be any "perfect fit" cases, other than those originally supplied with the Highway

Edited by Marc S