Why become a member? ×

Which bridge for P bass?

Danuman

Hi all,

Looking for some suggestions.
I currently have a Hipshot Kickass fitted on my P, but it looks awfully out of place.
(It'll go back on my Jazz as soon as I find a replacement for the P)

I'm looking for something with adjustable pitch, as I prefer a slightly reduced string spacing. I like the Hipshot A style, as I find it aesthetically pleasing and it features quick release, but I can't find anywhere to order it that isn't finicky. Alternatively, I'm looking at the Schaller 3D, but I'm less sure of the design and it's not as pretty.

So, any suggestions? Which bridges do you favour?

Thanks!

I fitted a Babicz to my modded Squier Jazz.

It looks great and it's a very clever piece of engineering, much easier and quicker than than average BBOT to adjust, and much more stable too.

I can't say I've noticed any improvement in tone or sustain compared to the original bridge though.

You can't adjust the string spacing, mind, but there's not that many after market bridges that have that facility, the obvious one being the Schaller 3d.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1498849980' post='3327603']
If I change a bridge I like the Gotoh 201B is very well made does not look out of place and is about half the price of some of the other mentioned makes on this thread
[/quote]

The 201B is a great bridge, I like it a lot. I'd love to see a version with quick release slots in it, that'd be great. For cheap and cheerful, the Wilkinson BBoT type with brass saddles works very well. I think it's actually a steel baseplate too.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1498821377' post='3327299']
I'm a big Schaller 3D fan - versatile, compact & beautifully engineered. Adjusting string spacing is incredibly straightforward.

Downside is that you need to drill new holes for it on a Fender-type bass.
[/quote]

^^This^^. I used to fit Hipshot A until I fitted one of these and I think these have the edge. Easy lateral adjustment, not so bulky.

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

I suppose I should've specified that the deciding factor is adjustable string spacing.

I'm quite intrigued by the Schaller, however, I'm not going to drill into the body in case I want to move on the bass at some point. I do have a nice maple body for a spare, but it still needs to be finished... Hmm, choices, choices.

Hipshot A would be my choice. I have one on my two Warmoth builds and another one will go on the next build.

The Schaller 3D is probably just as good, though. The bridge on my old Ibanez was either a Schaller or a copy and it bent upwards, so I was put off the design (fairly or unfairly).

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1499001916' post='3328477']
I really don't see the problem with this bridge.

But if you have to change it I'd go for a Hipshot A Style. I have these on several basses.
[/quote]

I know. It's awfully petty.
The Kickass is a nice bridge, but to me it just looks off on a P.

Do any of you happen to know if there's any difference in the relative height of the A style vs the Kickass?

[quote name='JimBobTTD' timestamp='1498918515' post='3327978']
The bridge on my old Ibanez was either a Schaller or a copy and it bent upwards, so I was put off the design (fairly or unfairly).
[/quote]
I bought a Schaller 3D in the mid-80s for my precision and the baseplate of that bent upwards, so it is sitting in my bits box now. I thought this was a weird thing to occur, and assumed it was a one-off but hearing about yours I wonder whether it is a more common occurance.

[quote name='Danuman' timestamp='1499083826' post='3329003']
Do any of you happen to know if there's any difference in the relative height of the A style vs the Kickass?
[/quote]
Sorry, but I don't know this. Maybe an email to Hipshot would help.

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1498847933' post='3327586']
How about a Babicz?
[/quote]
This would be my choice. They're more expensive, but much lighter in weight and can be strung without feeding the strings through holes. I've got one on mine and it's got the best tone I've ever had from a Fender. (Accepting that this could be coincidence and nothing to do with the bridge)

I've had a Schaller roller bridge on my precision since the early 80's. Had the same 3 screw holes as the original bridge. It's beautifully mad and solid. Adjustment in all three directions. perfect...
https://www.allparts.com/BB-0318-010-Chrome-Schaller-Bass-Bridge_p_546.html

[quote name='jacko' timestamp='1499183010' post='3329779']
I've had a Schaller roller bridge on my precision since the early 80's. Had the same 3 screw holes as the original bridge.
[/quote]

Never seen one like that. I have several basses with 3Ds, this is the one on my J:

[url="http://s1276.photobucket.com/user/LanterneRouge/media/CSL%20Jazz/bridge_zpsqvoksi3h.jpg.html"][/url]

The arrows indicate two pilot holes which match the original drillings, to ensure accurate alignment when replacing Fender type bridges - you're meant to use these to mark & drill the proper holes!

I find myself wondering if people who have issues with these bridges bending are attaching them just with the pilot holes...