Why become a member? ×

SWR

ChunkyMunky

I've got a SWR SM900 that i've been gigging for years now. Never failed me!

Could be louder, but to be fair i'm coming to realise that perhaps, actually, my guitarist could be quieter...

Anyway, i love the amp, from the clarity of tone to the functionality and features.

Never had an amp but use two Goliath Jr 3 cabiinets (2x10) which are awesome - light by standards - heavy by todays but they're beautiful sounding and well made. Be aware O/E drivers are diifficult to come by and there's mixed opinion on alternative solutions..

I used to like the sound of SWR and had a couple of their amps and speakers including a Goliath III which sounded great but was about 45kg. I very much like the SWR sound in isolation.

However, I recently set up two stages for a band festival and I had to sound check the bass amps that we'd provided from the music school. We had an SWR super redhead and a Markbass CMD 102p combo.

The Markbass sounded much fuller and felt like it had more power on tap than the SWR. If I had looked at the schedule for where I was playing, I would have put the Markbass on my stage as it sounded a lot better to my ears. And the Markbass was far easier to move around than the heavy redhead. The redhead wasn't bad but I think the Markbass had it covered.

I ran an SM400 for a few years. Really clean amp and a really [i]really[/i] flexible EQ section. The built-in mid scoop sucked a lot of the power out of it so I modded it to be more of a linear response.

It sounded great into a Hartke Hydrive 4x10 and then a Barefaced Compact.

Edited by paul_5

Quality made equipment.. ive owned more than eight pieces of the SWR ENGINEERING stuff..& it still sounds great to my ears... had a few problems with capacitors & the like' over the years...but im still using a Basic Black twenty years on....

• Like 1

[attachment=248544:IMG_0678.JPG]

All good stuff, although the Mr Tone Control eq is a bit overkill ( only line level and fussy to use).

Things to watch out for include - excessive mains hum, blown tweeters, damaged speakers (most often on RedHeads and Triad cabs). I avoid ones that look knackered, and have been pretty lucky. Still my overall favourite amps.

Been using an SWR workingman's 2x10 cab as a extension with my TE combo at least 10 years (bought it from someone on BC iirc) after my back decided I didn't need to haul a TE 4x10 round any more. In truth there shouldnt be much in any stand alone cab to actually go wrong unless you abuse it but I've had no issues with my black furry box.

May i also add...that SWR only ever designed one circuit!! So when folk say this amp' sounds better/ different than that amp' they were all based on the same design..??? After the company was sold the quality control rapidly declined.. & when fender aquired it' they put it out of buisness.
Also' they now have little if any resale value' being obsolete' for example'
a buddy of mine bought a 800 stereo power amp...£20
@ a car boot sale... Owzat!!!!

Edited by paulo m

I've only used SWR cabs over the last 15 years and they've been flawless. I gig regularly and although a little on the heavy side they sound great. Personally I always defeat the tweeter.as with it things can be a little sharp to the ear. I've a Goliat SSnr, Goliath Jnr & a Son of Bertha. Last summer used all 3 at the same time for an outdoor gig where the bass couldn't go through the PA. Driven by my 2 Ampegs it sounded massive. Gotta hang on to this stuff as it's gonna get harder to come by.

• 2 weeks later...

I gigged an SWR Triad cab (powered by a Trace EH350SMX) for about 15 years. Still have them both, too, although I use them not so much these days. Tone to die for when my back is up to it...

Edited by Scoop

I own and play

[url="https://www.disssa.de/reviews/amps/swr-amplite/"]Amplite[/url]
[url="https://www.disssa.de/reviews/amps/swr-headlite/"]Headlite[/url]
[url="https://www.disssa.de/reviews/preamps/swr-interstellar-overdrive/"]Interstellar Overdrive[/url]
[url="https://www.disssa.de/reviews/preamps/swr-grand-prix/"]Grand Prix[/url]
[url="https://www.disssa.de/reviews/preamps/swr-marcus-miller-preamp/"]Marcus Miller Pre[/url]

I've had a few bits of SWR gear.

My big bass amp (sadly not used in anger for some time) has an SWR 2x12 cab which is great, not quite as punchy as my old Peavey 4x10, but a lot lighter.

I did have an SWR Studio 220 for a while but it was a little too hi-fi for my tastes, but I did having an amp with no fan.

The best is my SWR Baby Baby Blue II 1x10 combo which is I doubt I'll ever get rid of. Beautiful little amp, and nor as hi-fi to my ears as the head. Only 120W so not really a big gig amp, but top nonetheless. Everything sounds good through it.

Edited by ahpook