Why become a member? ×

Flatwound (or Woundwound) String Cleaner

Hi,

Bass strings are very expensive, especially flatwounds, which generally cost about £40 or more for a 4 string set.

What do you use to frequently clean flatwounds (i.e. after each session)? My strings are Ernie Ball Cobalts.

I'm more concerned about keeping new strings in good playing condition, rather than trying to bring life to old or mistreated strings.

Has anyone used good quality lens wipes? These keep plastic and glass lenses free of grease and dirt, and the cleaning fluid (mainly a mix of water and alcohol) evaporates very quickly. They're also relatively inexpensive.

If you've used a proprietary string cleaner, what is it, and would you recommend it?

I use Music Nomad F-One fretboard oil, rather than lemon oil, to clean and condition my rosewood fretboards. I don't like lemon oil although I know that many basists do.

I've read that guitar polish, soapy water, WD40, Deoxit or just a clean cloth could be used.

I'm expecting some interesting replies!