Why become a member? ×

Ear plugs for Double Bass.

dove

A conversation with our drummer last night got me thinking.....He uses custom made ear plugs and swears by them.What I didn't realise is that not only do they reduce noise levels and protect his hearing but also, he says, they demuddify the entire sound and help him to hear every nuance across the entire frequency range. Mmmmmmmm this sounds interesting. Removing boomy rooms and general
dirge from what we are actually hearing as Double Bass players sounds too good to be true! Has any any experience of using the latest technology in ear plugs as a DB player and if so please share...................

Edited by dove

I'm a huge fan of my custom ACS moulds. I started with 17db filters but found them too isolating, so I changed to 10db filters that work great, even with a loud rock band. They have the effect of cleaning the sound up with the result that I hear every note I play and really help when playing fretless or upright.

I've used the custom ACS plugs for years. The filters are very easily swopped, so I have a set of 15db and a set of 25db for when things get really loud.

The beauty of these things is that wearing them is like hearing what everyone else hears, but with the volume control turned down. They don't muffle or distort the sound.

Can I hear nuances that otherwise I'd miss? Well ... yes, but only in the sense that you can always hear more when listening at 'sensible' volume levels.

Every guitarist knows that enough volume will hide even the grossest mistakes.

I wear them because I already suffer from tinnitus and I really can't stand the idea of going deaf.

To repeat something that has been said here many times, ACS custom plugs are NOT cheap. But if your hearing is worth less than £200 then you might want to think that through again.

:)