Why become a member? ×

Slight crackling noise on new bass

Trueno

Just got a new Fender Mustang bass. I've noticed it makes a slight crackling noise when I touch the strings. What's that? Shielding not right or summat? It happens regardless of pickup combination... not the pots or anything, don't even touch them.
It's not very noisy, but enough to be irritating, so the bass is going back.
Any thoughts?

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1499022833' post='3328676']
Possibly bridge not wired to earth correctly making intermittent connection?

But yeah send it back.
[/quote]

Sorry, Twincam, I missed your post yesterday.
Just done a few more experiments. It seems to be the tone pot. Switching the pot off completely cures the problem... which would be ok if I played dub bass all the time. Given it a swizz with some contact cleaner, but no change. Also noticed some hum from the amp (when the tone pot is on)... which doesn't happen with my jazz, even on a single pickup. So something is not right.

I did wonder about earth wiring, but I assume that would not be affected by the tone pot.

Anyway, been in touch with the shop to send it back. Shame, great bass otherwise, but I don't want to even muck about with it at the moment, just want my money back and maybe revisit in a couple of months.

The silver lining... getting my Jazz out for a comparison has reminded me what a great bass it is. I did fancy a short scale, but I might just have to slum it with this monster.