Why become a member? ×

Question about gain

Twincam

Im perfectly fine setting gain on any amp normally by ear or by clip light/gauge etc.
On a few amps I've had I've not had any pre amp clipping/distortion when at max level.
If there's no clipping when the gain is set to its max level. Should you just have it maxed or is the some reason why it should be backed off?
I know its best to use as much gain as you can for a strong signal to the power section.

I assume that maybe setting the gain to its max before clipping etc would mean you don't have to turn up the power amp up as much. And therefore I assume that's better for the amp heat/power usage wise.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1499027359' post='3328727']
It doesn't matter if you achieve a given output level with the gain low and volume high or the other way around, the power will be the same.
[/quote]

Yes it might achieve the same output. But say I had my gain at 2 and needed to turn the power section to 9 to achieve the same volume as the gain at 4 and the power amp at 6 for instance.isn't the first example for lack of a better word "pushing" the power amp more? Is it not better to achieve a given output using more gain and ask less of the power amp.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1499040406' post='3328808']
Yes it might achieve the same output. But say I had my gain at 2 and needed to turn the power section to 9 to achieve the same volume as the gain at 4 and the power amp at 6 for instance.isn't the first example for lack of a better word "pushing" the power amp more? Is it not better to achieve a given output using more gain and ask less of the power amp.
[/quote]
It's just the sound will be different depends what you want at the output. If you want a clean sound out of your cab like I do, I turn my power amp to max and turn the input gain of my pre-amp head only enough to get the output level I want from my cabs and that is usually the 9 o'clock position on the gain pre-amp dial or less. That said you can only do that if you have a low noise floor in your signal chain. On the other hand if you wanted more gritty sound then could turn up the pre-amp gain much higher and then use a lower volume setting on the power amp to give you the same output volume from your cab but the sound would more likely be more gritty/edgy/distorted.

Edited by jazzyvee

Bill is right the power will be roughly similar (although a distorted signal will push more power than a clean one. The biggest issue is noise here. If your gain pot is at the start of the pre-amp, having it too low will mean amplifying noise later in the signal chain. A lot of bass amps are not designed with a low noise figure as the main design criteria so higher gain is usually better,

My advice, have the Volume or master control lowish, set the gain for the sound you like then turn up the master/volume for what you need. Alternatively turn up the gain until it starts to distort then back it off a bit. Then turn up the master/volume to taste.