Why become a member? ×

Hi from NW Kent

clunkie66

Hi all, finally got round to joining so thought I'd introduce myself - Colin from Kent, near Gravesend.

Have been playing bass for a year and making much better progress that I ever imagined possible. A late starter at 49 and loving it - better late than never! I have been having lessons for 8 months and have learned loads in that time, especially theory, thought I'd start off doing the sensible thing. A benefit of being this age is that I can more than justify an hour to myself in the evening for practice.

Musically I listen to mostly everything - with the exception of death metal and pop/rap. In my teens I was drawn to bass heavy music: influences are JJ Burnel, Bruce Foxton, John Entwhistle and many more. I bought myself a Cort GB4 Custom jazz bass, great to play.

I'm loving learning, who knows where it may lead?

Well done, I left it even later than you 55 before I played my first note. Go and start looking for people to play with, if you haven't already. I started jamming a few songs with friends and within a year was playing at my first gig! Nothing complicated as you can imagine but it's surprising how many great songs have really simple bass lines, just as well with my skill levels.