Why become a member? ×

Rear rack supports?

MGBrown

I have a 2u power amp in a 2u flightcase. Do I need to bother with the rear supports? The manufacturer's blurb recommends fitting them but they are pricey. Not likely to be on any tours any time soon - car transportation only. Amp weighs about 9kg and is a QSC PLX 1202. Any experiences would be welcome.

Thanks.

Edited by MGBrown

Wedge some polystyrene in between the amp and the case to stop any noticeable flex if you are concerned. Just make sure that you don't restrict any vents/airflow and make sure that the case isn't going to get hot enough to cause a fire risk with the polystyrene.

[quote name='MGBrown' timestamp='1499171362' post='3329652']
I have a 2u power amp in a 2u flightcase. Do I need to bother with the rear supports? The manufacturer's blurb recommends fitting them but they are pricey. Not likely to be on any tours any time soon - car transportation only. Amp weighs about 9kg and is a QSC PLX 1202. Any experiences would be welcome.

Thanks.
[/quote]

They're a good idea with that size / weight.
But, as you say, these sort of accessories tend to carry a large price premium when they are the gear manufacturer's 'official' part.

Depending on the mechanical construction of the amplifier and the rack it's worthwhile to see if you can fashion something to do the job from metal brackets / timber etc. Helps if handy with drill / saw etc :-)
As it'll be out of site it doesn't need to be particularly elegant.

Depends on the case, but just some big stick on rubber feet at the back can give enough support to stop the front getting stressed, or just a piece of wood screwed or stuck into the back on the case. Its not to really take weight, but just limit the amount of stress the front plate gets when (not if) it gets dropped.