Why become a member? ×

Customised ear plugs- ACS vs Pro Guard

Trueno

I've been using ACS for just over 10 years and they have kept my damaged and ringing ears safe in that time, during some pretty loud and extensive gigging.

I'd be interested in anything that was better, but at nearly twice the price I'd need some serious convincing that Pro Guard was worth the extra.

Thinking about it (which I admit I should have done before I posted) it's not very likely that anyone will have tried both. Just seen another thread where most people with customised plugs have ACS. But the Pro Guard popped up first on a google search. I used to use Doctor Pro, which were quite good for cheapies. I assumed the real value of customised is the comfort and the fact they fill all the gaps... in addition to the fact the filters are supposed to attenuate all frequencies (maybe not quite, but closer than cheap plugs)

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1499617944' post='3332526']
Never heard of Pro Guard, another ACS user here!

Si
[/quote]

Yeh! It came up on bing search engine. At first I assumed it was the customised ones everyone uses on here. They are more expensive though... don't know if you get anything extra for your money.

https://www.proguarduk.co.uk/

Featuring the immortal paragraph:
[color=#616161]Now available from ProGuard an increasing selection of generic earplugs including our extremely popular Noizezz range, the Lin-Ear and Ultra Lin-Ear products designed for musicians, DJs, concertgoers and now available our new BikerPlugz and ShooterPlugz[/color]

Don't you just love crap marketing-speak when it's obsessed with the letter Z?

Guest gazzatriumph

I first used my ACS at a Stranglers gig, I sat in the same area as I had done the previous 4 years but had always come away with bad ringing in my ears which lasted a couple of days, being sat very near a speaker didn't help, with the ACS in I could hear everything perfectly just quieter and no ringing afterwards. I was very impressed by them and wished I bought some years ago. I would recommend any young musicians out there to get some as I'm preventing further damage rather than preventing damage in the first place.

Bought some of the Doc pro generic ones and not overly impressed as wanted some to sit in the outer ear (used acs generic for years). I think I need to bite the bullet and go for custom ones but suffer from nausea/ motion sickness due to medication that can start if I use traditional earplugs. Do the acs custom ones put much pressure on the ear canal? How much do you feel them in there?

Edited by T-Bay

Not sure how many are aware of this but there is a Musicians Hearing Scheme https://www.helpmusicians.org.uk/working-retired-musicians/musicians-hearing-health-scheme

For £40 (£30 if you are an MU member) you get a hearing assessment and a pair of custom made ear plugs plus more. Not bad if you ask me.

Another vote for ACS Custom's. I've been using them for years, as a gig goer and onstage when IEM's are not available. They do seem to have a bit of a high end shelf, but mine are the older ER-15's. Never had any issues though, even with that slight high end cut (that's the harmful stuff anyway) there is always plenty of clarity.