Why become a member? ×

The Gene Genie

Northy

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1499289977' post='3330610']
This is me playing G# all the time and definitely no-one noticed

[media]http://youtu.be/ygk9ZZjhrh4[/media]
[/quote]

Band sounds good. Do you play in Scotland at all. ?

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1499291599' post='3330631']
Yes, I'm going to at tomorrow nights gig. Quite looking forward to it
[/quote]

Bet you forget :lol: :lol: :lol:

Glam Rock band i played with last year occasionally ran Jean Genie into Blockbuster by Sweet or did a medoly of them as both same riff EEE G#AG#
Of course that could trigger another debate about Blockbuster by Sweet :sad: :thank_you:
Dave :biggrin:

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1499323956' post='3330687']
Glam Rock band i played with last year occasionally ran Jean Genie into Blockbuster by Sweet or did a medoly of them as both same riff EEE G#AG#
Of course that could trigger another debate about Blockbuster by Sweet :sad: :thank_you:
Dave :biggrin:
[/quote]we've recently tried the same during rehearsals, I just stayed on the E for blockbuster (rightly or wrongly) then did the EGAG (g# actually, but I'll change it now) for Gene Genie, guitarist stayed the same

[quote name='acidbass' timestamp='1499290174' post='3330614']
Always G for me
[/quote]

Good lad! I cannot believe people can't hear that different interval, the G Natural (as was mentioned prior) sounds much better, more raw, more feisty. It has to be right. I am not bothered really who's played G# etc even Gail D, I just wanted it to sound like thew original. I also told the band leader tonight I want to play the "early B mistake too!" The word Tribute has to make sense to me, failing that, you are a single act cover band.

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1499286898' post='3330587']
I used to play this (see attached from Ultimate Guitar) and shows G# A G#

Not saying its right but it certainly sounded right when playing.
[/quote]

Well that's just some guy's transcribe to TAB (Which I don't read actually, easy to work out) But as we have found, it's not right. Just sounded too much like Block Buster by Sweet lol

[quote name='Northy' timestamp='1499329409' post='3330727']
Good lad! I cannot believe people can't hear that different interval, the G Natural (as was mentioned prior) sounds much better, more raw, more feisty. It has to be right. I am not bothered really who's played G# etc even Gail D, I just wanted it to sound like thew original. I also told the band leader tonight I want to play the "early B mistake too!" The word Tribute has to make sense to me, failing that, you are a single act cover band.
[/quote]is that in the single version? apparently according to our guitarist who used to play in a Bowie tribute the single was just a demo they cut while touring America and the record company released it without telling them, that's why the Boulder mistake of not going to the chorus later on was never corrected, the Aladdin Sane version was rerecorded

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1499332277' post='3330759']
I think Bowie himself would have taken issue with that. . . .
[/quote]

I get what you're saying Hiram, but that's the Luxury of Being the Tributed and not the Tributer for want of a better expression. For most people, if you deviate, they'd just say, "It wasn't quite the same??"

[quote name='Northy' timestamp='1499333444' post='3330771']
Aladdin Sane version does have the early bass cock up in it actually.
[/quote]I don't think it's a cock up if he does it every time, if it's the same one we're talking about (just before Bowie starts singing) he does it on the live TOTP's version as well

Edited by PaulWarning

You (I) can clearly hear the difference between the Bolder and Dorsey versions in the posted videos. At a live gig the difference will probably be less clear. Surely the most important factor is the 'feel' of it. The Bolder version is, well, 'bolder': a bit less 'poppy', a bit more edgy with ominous undertones . Cripes - I've turned into a wine taster! :blush:

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1499338217' post='3330808']
has anybody found an internet tab that shows the correct way of playing the main riff? I haven't
[/quote]

It's Tab, so that's hardly surprising.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1499338217' post='3330808']
has anybody found an internet tab that shows the correct way of playing the main riff? I haven't
[/quote]

Here's piano sheet music with left hand showing G natural .... not that it is any guarantee of anything ... although personally I would trust notation more than any internet tab:

[url="http://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/mtd.asp?ppn=MN0065616"]http://www.musicnote...p?ppn=MN0065616[/url]

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1499337742' post='3330806']
... the 'feel' of it. The Bolder version is, well, 'bolder': a bit less 'poppy', a bit more edgy with ominous undertones ...
[/quote]

Yes, the blues scale flat third G natural is, well, bluesier, sleazier, dirtier, bent a bit 'off-key', it's the blues and not the neat tidy unflattened third of the G major scale.

And isn't the second G natural played under an A chord making it flat seventh not flat third, in that case?

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1499337742' post='3330806']
You (I) can clearly hear the difference between the Bolder and Dorsey versions
[/quote]

Exactly my point! :-) I prefer Trev's version of the early tunes. I once played in a Tears for Fears tribute too and really love what Gail does there AND with Bowie though . . . it's win win

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1499346239' post='3330878']
Yes, the blues scale flat third G natural is, well, bluesier, sleazier, dirtier, bent a bit 'off-key', it's the blues and not the neat tidy unflattened third of the G major scale.

And isn't the second G natural played under an A chord making it flat seventh not flat third, in that case?
[/quote]

Totally and absolutely what I feel inside when I hear the original (Bolder version) rather than the semitone error versions. I am not declaring war here, I just can't be doing with the G# version, it's like fingernails down a chalk board But that's just MY opinion.

Edited by Northy

[quote name='pineweasel' timestamp='1499337718' post='3330805']
Surely the "early bass cockup" is in fact the rest of the band not going into the chorus on time.
[/quote]

Well he plays the A at the end of the 15th bar rather than the usual 16th . . . I would say it was Mr Boulder at fault BUT who can criticise him, he's ace! AND It fits now, !!! Love it :-)