Why become a member? ×

The Gene Genie

Northy

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1499334371' post='3330779']
Sorry to disagree yet again, but we have quite a few die hard Bowie fans come along to our gigs and they know that we'll play the Reality Tour versions of Loving The Alien and Life on Mars? as well as the BBC version of Ashes to Ashes. The list goes on. We keep to Bowie versions, but not necessarily the original. The uninformed might notice that 'it's not quite like the single', but the real fans know where we're coming from and appreciate it.
[/quote]

No, we agree on that, if it's a VERSION by the artist then cool, I'd go along with that. The point of this thread is weather or not a note is wrong or right, G# is wrong whichever version I have heard. It really doesn't matter. I spoke with the would be Mick Ronson (Dave, Guitar) last night and confessed that something so simple had really got me 'caught up'. I also told him about this thread and that more respected and accepted players than me (yourself Hiram) were also not entirely sure. All he said was: "I think either of them would do!!" lol laughed my head off! Agggrrrhhhh I was in pain thinking they would sack me for not knowing something so seemingly trivial.

That'll learn me! Thanks for all your input guys, really appreciate it.

Edited by Northy

[quote name='Northy' timestamp='1499349154' post='3330918']
... "I think either of them would do!!" ...
[/quote]

Although I personally prefer the G natural, I think your guitarist is correct either will do.

You can even get away with bass/guitar/harmonica not all doing the same - it's slurred, it's passing.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1499350690' post='3330931']
Just to throw a spanner in the works I'm liking the sound/feel of G natural on the way up and G# on the way down. Fits very nicely if I play along with the album version...
[/quote]

Hahaha I actually mentioned that on the Talk Bass room I think, facebook at least. My guitarist friend suggested that might be a solution.

[quote name='Northy' timestamp='1499354224' post='3330970']

Hahaha I actually mentioned that on the Talk Bass room I think, facebook at least. My guitarist friend suggested that might be a solution.
[/quote]

You two have beaten me to it, but that's the way I'd play it - G A G#. Maybe the faintest hint of a hammer on to the G# sometimes.

[quote name='Gottastopbuyinggear' timestamp='1499360189' post='3331031']
You two have beaten me to it, but that's the way I'd play it - G A G#. Maybe the faintest hint of a hammer on to the G# sometimes.
[/quote]

I tried that, mehhh, but try G#-A-G hahaha really, I like it!

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1499423151' post='3331459']
Check out the interview with Trevor Bolder showing how he played Jean Genie at approx 54 secs onwards.
He seems to be playing the GAG on the G string
Really good VID.

[media]http://youtu.be/o0alKcvXzS0[/media]
[/quote]

As clear as day.
Is there anyone they didn't musically rip something from on that track ?
The Yardbirds, the Beatles (Harmonica Solo).... :D

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1499423151' post='3331459']
Check out the interview with Trevor Bolder showing how he played Jean Genie at approx 54 secs onwards.
He seems to be playing the GAG on the G string
Really good VID.

[media]http://youtu.be/o0alKcvXzS0[/media]
[/quote]

Think that should have been 54 mins. Sorry was on way out to a funeral and a bit of a rush.
Dave

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1499441909' post='3331615']
Ah thanks. Very kind of you. I domlove a nice hat
[/quote]

Can I ask what pedals you're using, particularly to reproduce Trevor B's overdriven EB3 sound?
I too am in a Bowie Tribute band. I've got a couple - Triton-labs Dual fet, a Rodenberg gas dual something. I've also tried a Lehle Baswitch sonic spark

The harmonica is definitely playing the G# note (probably to do with note bending on a harmonica), which confuses things, but the bass is playing the GAG.

The single version was just the second take, so these little details probably weren't noticed at the time.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1499467245' post='3331803']

Sure no problem. I've recently changed my set up and at the moment I'm using a Darkglass 900 head with the B3K switched on. It can produce a nice mildly distorted overdriven effect. I also use that combined with a Cog Custom Grand Tarkin Bass Fuzz for Fame so that the bass pretty much owns the space in that song.
[/quote]

Thanks for this, is your bass active or passive....seems to make a lot of difference to some pedals I've tried.

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1499656143' post='3332743']
it's definitely G# A G#

my ears tell me it's off when I play G A G
[/quote]

Yep i know as that's how i've always played it but Trevor shows you how he played it on the VID i posted around 54mins into VID.
Tried it his way and it never sounds right but as many have quoted above just play it how you think it should be played as most won't notice the diff. :lol:
Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1499669908' post='3332778']
Yep i know as that's how i've always played it but Trevor shows you how he played it on the VID i posted around 54mins into VID.
Tried it his way and it never sounds right but as many have quoted above just play it how you think it should be played as most won't notice the diff. :lol:
Dave
[/quote]

Agreed. G# A G#.

Thanks dmccombe7 for posting The Spiders From Mars Interviews - just finished watching and loved it! Brought back some happy memories of playing Bowie stuff - including The G-G - dep'ing behind a really good Bowie tribute artist at a one-off charity gig years ago.