Why become a member? ×

Thinking of upgrading from this to ??

Mickyk

[url="http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/35W-Electric-Bass-Amp-by-Gear4music/7VJ"]http://www.gear4musi...-Gear4music/7VJ[/url]

This is my current amp which has served me well for the last year or so,but now i'm thinking maybe i need to upgrade but not with a view to gigging, as the band i'm invited to join want me to use there's.

I just want something a little better sounding that won't break the bank

??Any advice on what to get.

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1499413203' post='3331362']
Most things would be an improvement on your practice amp. You really need to go to a few shops and try some stuff out. Don't listen to us. We all suffer from confirmation bias and will recommend what we have.
[/quote]this is so true

Even though you will be borrowing an amp from your band, if you are going to shell out for a new amp, it might be worth considering getting something that you could gig with if the need arose. Maybe something like a 100-200 watt combo with a 12", 15" or couple of 10" drivers in? That way you would be covered if you didn't like the band's amp, or it was unreliable, or you had some other change of gigging circumstances.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1499414565' post='3331375']
this is so true
[/quote]

+1.... However would be interesting to know a) what style of music your new band plays B) what sort of bass you have and c) what the new band wants you to play through..

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1499413203' post='3331362']
Don't listen to us. We all suffer from confirmation bias and will recommend what we have.
[/quote]

Don't entirely agree with this. A lot of us have come from practice amps to the gear we have now and owned a lot of different gear in between. I've had everything from small combos to 8x10 rigs and so I like to think I can offer some valuable advice. My current rig is best for what I do just now but I wouldn't recommend it to everyone.

OP is simply asking for a "better sounding" practice amp that won't break the bank. Personally I'd be looking at GK, Hartke, Fender, TC or even Line 6 for a step-up from your current practice combo, with a 2x10" or 12" speaker depending how loud you want to go. Hope that helps.

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1499420952' post='3331438']

Don't entirely agree with this. A lot of us have come from practice amps to the gear we have now and owned a lot of different gear in between. I've had everything from small combos to 8x10 rigs and so I like to think I can offer some valuable advice. My current rig is best for what I do just now but I wouldn't recommend it to everyone.

OP is simply asking for a "better sounding" practice amp that won't break the bank. Personally I'd be looking at GK, Hartke, Fender, TC or even Line 6 for a step-up from your current practice combo, with a 2x10" or 12" speaker depending how loud you want to go. Hope that helps.
[/quote]

My tongue was partly in my cheek when I posted. However, I stand by my point - that the OP simply must go and try what is available (and within his budget) to get areal idea of what will suit him.

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1499461305' post='3331772']
My tongue was partly in my cheek when I posted. However, I stand by my point - that the OP simply must go and try what is available (and within his budget) to get areal idea of what will suit him.
[/quote]many a true word said in jest

[quote name='Mickyk' timestamp='1499375558' post='3331205']
I just want something a little better sounding that won't break the bank
[/quote]

I'd suggest you get something a [i]lot[/i] better and start sounding good at home.

If you leave this band you won't have an amp or cab so I'd suggest you also need to think about that now you're looking at gear. I'd get a 112 and 300-500 watt amp. Then you only need to add another 112 to start gigging with your own gear.

Thanks for all replies,i'm taking them all on board,i think that i should be looking at a better practice amp for now,as the one in this band i'm joining is an old one apparently,any way i may go and try some out in the music shops around me,would this mean taking my own Yamie, sounds silly i know but don't want to be lugging it round for the sake of it.
My budget is around £250 tops at the moment.

[quote name='Mickyk' timestamp='1499511192' post='3331940']
Thanks for all replies,i'm taking them all on board,i think that i should be looking at a better practice amp for now,as the one in this band i'm joining is an old one apparently,any way i may go and try some out in the music shops around me,would this mean taking my own Yamie, sounds silly i know but don't want to be lugging it round for the sake of it.
My budget is around £250 tops at the moment.
[/quote]I know it's not a very nice thing to do but you'll get an idea what you need from the music shop then go for second hand gear, you could afford so much more with your £250 budget and if you decide to move it on on the future you won't lose much money on it, I've never bought brand new gear.
You must bear in mind that an amp can sound really loud on it's own but with a full band it's a different kettle of fish altogether