Why become a member? ×

Backup suggestions

Danuman

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been done to death, but my queries haven't turned up much useful info.

I'm looking for something light and powerful, ideally with the option for silent practice, to supplement my (rather good) Eden WT550.

I was thinking of a used Little Mark III, which would be a nice change of pace, but it lacks aux in and headphone out.

At some point I'm probably going to get some or other DI jobby as well, but for most gigs I'm likely having to rely on the amp to do the heavy lifting.

Any ideas?

There is a Quilter Bassblock 800 for sale here - these are really tiny, very loud, great inherent tone, easy to use. For me it is the perfect back up head and often my first choice.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/307758-bergantino-hd210-quilter-bass-block-800/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/307758-bergantino-hd210-quilter-bass-block-800/[/url]

Aha! I didn't spot that.

The two EQ knobs are very intuitive - they exactly do what the picture next to them suggests. It is easy to just dial it in whilst fiddling to find your 'sweet spot'

Volume indents are also quite handy but I think where this scores is the gain. Up to 12o/c is clean but further round it will do warm, through grit and into over-driven - all with a nice organic kind of tone. Not fuzzy, though.

I tried lots of small amps for back-up/ rehearsals/ small gigs and this is by some measure my favourite.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/302-0631-A/bass-amp-heads/gallien-krueger-mb-200-bass-head?LGWCODE=3020631A;56375;6335&gclid=CjwKEAjw4vzKBRCt9Zmg8f2blgESJADN5fDggZCWqRkpV0hEOiO0AVAq7fdWSQhlPqr4GV7KePNqaxoCTtbw_wcB

About the size of a large paperback, and weighs about the same.

If you're planning to carry a backup to all of your gigs, then you want it light ...

I had a Bugera Veyron as backup. Picked it up mint and used for less than £300. Powerful, light, flexible eq and not half bad sounding. Sold it recently when I upgraded my main amp (at which point, the old main amp became my backup).

Another shout for the GK MB200.

I bought mine as a backup but I've used it many times at smaller gigs. It's surprisingly loud and the tone is right up my street. Small, light, loud, great tone, decent DI and cheap - what more do you need from a backup amp?

Frank.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1499500051' post='3331865']
Well, to my mind a back up amp has to have a similar output to the amp it is backing up. 200W simply wouldn't be loud enough. But that is for me and my situation.
[/quote]

+1

I'd upgrade from the Eden and let that [i](the Eden)[/i] become the backup.

Edit to make sense:

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1499500051' post='3331865']
Well, to my mind a back up amp has to have a similar output to the amp it is backing up. 200W simply wouldn't be loud enough. But that is for me and my situation.
[/quote]

I can fully understand that.

From my point of view though, the backup amp just has to be adequate. Add to that that it has to be small and light and not too expensive.

I could definately play a loud gig using an MB200 through a pair of sensitive 1 x 12" cabs. I know this because I've done it, but... we all have differing requirements and that might not suit everyone.

As you were. :)

Frank.

I did look at the MB500 but unfortunately there's no aux in. The MB200 does seem to punch above its weight, but I'd like it to match the Eden a little closer. If anything, just so I could mix it up a bit.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1499501301' post='3331872']
I'd upgrade from the Eden and let that [i](the Eden)[/i] become the backup.
[/quote]

There's a thought. I'm interested in what your considerations might be.

I know this amp is not nearly the be-all and end-all in bass amplification, but it's powerful enough for me, not too cumbersome, and I have little objective reason for any tonal improvement.

I was being deliberately non committal on which amp would be a good upgrade for you. It's your preferences that matter.

My list would contain the Mesa D800+, Aguilar TH500, Genzler MG800 and others. There is a lot of choice out there.

In the last 10 years my favourites have been the Thunderfunk 550 and 750's and an Aguilar TH500.

Ah, yes I get what you're saying. I tried to word it specifically that way, but maybe something was lost in translation.

Let me rephrase: What would you take into consideration when evaluating the need for an upgrade?

Thanks for the suggestions, though! I'd love to try a Thunderfunk (if not own one just for the name!) but I've never even seen one in the flesh. The TH500 would suit me very well, but I find them a bit too dear over on this side of the pond.