Why become a member? ×

Multi FX for Royal Blood shenanigans

dannybuoy

I want to experiment with a multi-amp setup generating fake guitar from my bass a la Royal Blood. However I don't own a digital octaver right now, and it looks like I'd need at least 2 (one for the base octave up, and another one to switch in an extra 5th for power chords as required). The POG/Pitchfork/Whammy etc are all pretty expensive and it looks like I might be better served with a guitar multi-fx to do it all in one box. That way I can get a couple of pitch shifters, fuzz and amp sim all in the same unit.

I had a Zoom B3 before and wasn't a fan of the pitch shifters at all. The B3N might do better here, but I'm thinking Digitech might be a good shout here since they have the Whammy algorithm that they can in theory shoehorn into any multi fx. The RP360 looks like just the ticket:

http://digitech.com/en-US/products/rp360

Has anyone tried the pitch shifters out in the current crop of multi-fx that can chip in here? Not looking at the top tier Line 6 Helix / Axe-FX / etc units at this stage btw.

Yeah, I've had a go with a fair few Multis (line 6, GT-10b, Zoom B3) to try and emulate the RB thing. TBH the only time I've had really good result is by using the micro POG or POG2. The algorithms used in the POG give it by far the best tracking, the AKAI Unibass is the next best thing I've tried. All the multis I tried were so sketchy with their tracking that the result was unconvincing.

The Digitech RP360 can be had for £109 new, whereas a pair of EHX Pitch Forks would set me back £266, or even more for the POGs! The Pitchfork looks like the ideal pedal though, similar sound to the POG but can do the 5th harmony and also whammy glissando effects.

Will scour for reviews of the RP360 later...

There is the Fishman Fission but it doesn't sound that great from clips I've heard.

After a lot of checking out comparisons it seems Digitech are top of the pile when it comes to low latency and natural sounding pitch shifting (whilst also being affordable)...

So it's looking like I might ditch the multi idea and go with separates overall, looking at a Whammy Ricochet for the base octave up, into a Bass Whammy (harmony mode -4th to +5th should sound pretty cool), then into a Joyo American Sound for a Fender amp sim.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1499435829' post='3331568']
The Digitech RP360 can be had for £109 new, whereas a pair of EHX Pitch Forks would set me back £266, or even more for the POGs! The Pitchfork looks like the ideal pedal though, similar sound to the POG but can do the 5th harmony and also whammy glissando effects.

Will scour for reviews of the RP360 later...
[/quote]

Just a note on the pitch fork. It 100% does the octave up perfectly and the blend knob is great. My problem was trying to match a drive to it. You definitely need a drive with a blend. The pitch fork would be worth a shot if you have access to a few drives you can try it out with, I think it sounds slightly more digital/unnatural than the POG (just through listening to YouTube videos and comparing them to when I owned the pitchfork) That's why I sold it in the end, it sounded too "metallic" and digital for me when I compared it to the POG but I think paired with the right drive you would have a winner.

So far I've got a Ricochet doing octave up duties and a Bass Whammy for harmonies, going into the Joyo American Sound, then a TC Mimiq.

The Ricochet sounds great; also you can turn it on in latching mode, then switch it to momentary mode so that pressing the footswitch will do divebombs! In terms of realistic octave up, both Digitech units do a great job, but the Bass Whammy in classic mode is better for riffs low down on the E string. I'm on the lookout for a cheap Whammy V, MicroPOG/NanoPOG/POG2 and Pitchfork to contrast and compare.

The Joyo nails the dirt sound, and the Mimiq adds
stereo doubling which helps separate the 'guitar' from the bass. Sounds perfect through headphones / monitors, so no need for guitar amps!

Looking at adding a Radial Twin City ABY to split and select the signal chains, and experimenting with some fuzz in front of the Joyo. Playing like this is tons of fun, more so than playing a real guitar!