Why become a member? ×

Vanderkley are better than Barefaced cabs, right?!

Al Krow

Thanks for clarifying Bill, particularly with the car engine analogy which really helped!

Seems that there's a consensus that the BF cabs are not fragile, which is obviously vital. But my band members (who I'm guessing range in weight from 44kg right up to 77kg :)) are quite happy on occasion to perch on my Markbass combo, and I've not batted an eyelid when they've done so. Would you all be as equally relaxed about your heavier band members sitting on the top of your BF cabs? I guess that for me is a reasonable test of strength for the 9mm plywood used in the BF cabs?

I sit on my BB2 all the time, no problem. :) Edited by Dad3353

That's all very well, but how would piegon spikes realistically work with a Roqsolid cover? Or are you suggesting that we attach and take these down at the start of every rehearsal (which seems to me a touch impractical)?

So that folk are not unduly mis-led and don't spend too much time looking for erudite comparisons of the VK and BF premier brands on this thread, I should maybe re-label it "Do you find your cabs comfortable to sit on / how to stop band mates sitting on your bare face?" xD

Edited by Dad3353

That's all very well, but how would piegon spikes realistically work with a Roqsolid cover? Or are you suggesting that we attach and take these down at the start of every rehearsal (which seems to me a touch impractical)?

So that folk are not unduly mis-led and don't spend too much time looking for erudite comparisons of the VK and BF premier brands on this thread, I should maybe re-label it "Do you find your cabs comfortable to sit on / how to stop band mates sitting on your bare face?" xD

Some form of quick release straps or rail type system? xD Edited by Dad3353

Vanderklay everyday for me! I have had 2x10 and 1x12 then a 4x10 and now just a 1x 12 and into the PA. For my style they are the best I have ever used!

I downsized the 4x10 to a 12 because I now have to carry the PA!! The 4x10 was out of this world.

I'm now thinking about the new 2 x10 as that will fit in the car but I don't know what else it will give me??

So only in my opinion Vanderklay is the best for tight funky bass

Also Mark is a very nice bloke!

And yes I live in Brighton!

I've sat/leaned on my BF cab(s) plenty without giving it a thought. In fact I've never given a thought to sitting on any cab. Nor have I ever encountered anyone who has given a thought (other than manners-wise) to sitting on any cab. It seems a spurious worry to me. Next we'll be discussing how flammable BF cabs are... ¬¬

Edited by Dad3353

Next we'll be discussing how flammable BF cabs are... ¬¬

https://youtu.be/yl8OUZX-7KA

And these guys didn't even have a bass player!!

...but on a more serious note, I think we have established that folks' concerns raised on this and other threads about the fragility of BF cabs (the sitting on which being a simple proxy measure of build strength) is one we can dismiss from all the feedback received to date, from the heavy-weight bass players in our august company. And it would definitely be good to move on from that point, albeit one that has caused a certain amount of lighthearted banter and mirth to my fellow bassists, which on a hot July summer's day is probably no bad thing... Edited by Dad3353

I have found myself saying the same thing about my Vanderkley 112MNT, and yet it occurs to me that it is a funny thing to assert because how can anyone know this? (short of plugging the signal at various points (Including a very good and well positioned microphone) into an oscilloscope or some other bit of electronic wizardry). Also, if it's desirable to have no colouration in in the speaker why is it allowed to have colouration in the amplifier?

At the end of the day it's the sum total of the instrument, amplifier and speaker that you hear, so you need to assess the whole lot with your ears and decide by what you like rather than anything else.

(all IMHO of course)

My test is that it should sound the way it does through good quality headphones, and you are right, use your ears and if the combination sounds good to you then you have found the cab for your set up. Edited by Dad3353

Just don't perch on the rear edge and tilt forwards, lest the wheels wheels scoot the cab backwards from under you, and you fall in an embarrassing heap.

Again :$ :( Edited by Dad3353

You pretty much nailed it in your original post. I used to own a couple of VK 210MNT cabs. Absolutely fantastic tone & build quality was top class. Now own a couple of BF One10s and tone is great (a single one10 certainly doesn't match a VK 2x10) but they are ultra lightweight. I know it's improved but I still don't think the finish quality matches other cabs in the price bracket.

The BF certainly won't collapse just because it's lightweight, really depends what's important to you.

Again, thanks to everyone for their feedback to date. So what I've taken away so far is:

1. They are both great cab brands. Everyone who has owned one or the other seems to be a pretty "happy camper" with no one being unhappy with either choice.
2. Just 'cos BF are light and use 9mm ply, their robustness is not something anyone should worry about at all as they have great design and build quality.

A few of you have owned both or have A/B'd them, summary of your comments below:

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1499795320' post='3333692']
You pretty much nailed it in your original post. I used to own a couple of VK 210MNT cabs. Absolutely fantastic tone & build quality was top class. Now own a couple of BF One10s and tone is great (a single one10 certainly doesn't match a VK 2x10) but they are ultra lightweight. I know it's improved but I still don't think the finish quality matches other cabs in the price bracket.
[/quote]

[quote name='Steve Browning' timestamp='1499496896' post='3331842']
I recently witnesed a a/b between the Berg and the Vanderkley. Both sounded great but I have also heard the Berg at a decent number of gigs (a good mate has one). It's an awesome cab. The Vanderkley was pretty close in sound (but it was a nice red colour!!).
[/quote]

[quote name='Musashimonkey' timestamp='1499499242' post='3331859']
I've been very happy with both Vanderklay and Barefaced cabs. I'm currently on Vanderklay as that was what was available at the time in the second hand market. But both brands offer excellent cabs. I'm sure you'll be happy with either.
The differences that I would note and consider would be slight weight difference (which gives a different structural feel to them), handle design, carpet vs painted finish, and aesthetics regarding grill, cloth, red or black.
[/quote]

[quote name='Steve Browning' timestamp='1499498480' post='3331852']
What about a trip to Bass Direct? Could be that all those choices are there, under one roof and the owner there has a reputation for blunt assessment.
[/quote]

The final bit of advice quoted from Steve is obviously spot on. I'll see if I can make a trip to Bass Direct at some point soon to try them both out with a variety of heads.

Actually I suspect a min 800W capacity is going to be plenty, right, in terms of matching the output of the vast majority of decent bass heads? In which case, I can narrow the choice down to:
VK 210 LNT 1200W, 44lbs, £925 delivered
BF BB2 (silver cloth) 800W, 26lbs(!!) £779 delivered

And if either come up FS in decent condition second hand, even better!

[TKS cabs clearly have a fair bit of love on here also. The comparable cab would be the 2126, 900W, but 63lbs and £1,050 which would rule it out on weight and cost. Plus the fact I'm not sure anywhere actually stocks them in the UK so trying out is going to be tricky].

Edited by Al Krow

Al Krow said:

[TKS cabs clearly have a fair bit of love on here also. The comparable cab would be the 2126, 900W, but 63lbs and £1,050 which would rule it out on weight and cost. Plus the fact I'm not sure anywhere actually stocks them in the UK so trying out is going to be tricky].

I'm not sure that's a fair comparison as the 2126 is a 2x12 with a midrange driver... it is bound to be heavier and more expensive. The 1126 or H115 might be closer. The fact that the speaker in the H115 is 15" diameter makes little difference to the sound that the cab can produce, and at £579 and 14kg it is much closer to the other two (but cheaper!).

I have one of the previous spec and it is an excellent cab :) http://basschat.co.uk/topic/249637-tks-1126-vs-h115-cabs/page__hl__tks h115

Edited by Dad3353

The final bit of advice quoted from Steve is obviously spot on. I'll see if I can make a trip to Bass Direct at some point soon to try them both out with a variety of heads.

TKS cabs clearly have a fair bit of love on here also. The comparable cab would be the 2126, 900W, but 63lbs and £1,050 which would rule it out on weight and cost. Plus the fact I'm not sure anywhere actually stocks them in the UK so trying out is going to be tricky.

IME trying out amps and cabs in a shop is about as much use as perusing the specs published by the manufacturers - almost none at all.

The only way you'll know if a cab is suitable for you needs is to use it in the context of your band at a couple of rehearsals and gigs. Edited by Dad3353

IME trying out amps and cabs in a shop is about as much use as perusing the specs published by the manufacturers - almost none at all.

The only way you'll know if a cab is suitable for you needs is to use it in the context of your band at a couple of rehearsals and gigs.

Absolutely. Edited by Dad3353

Guys you're probably right about the value of A/B'ing stuff in a store vs trying it out in anger in a band context. But I guess in terms of initial decision making, honest feedback from fellow BCers and having a try out in a studio has gotta be better than buying blind? That being the case and the fact I can only try out VK at Bass Direct, I may need to take your kind offer up Grangur (again!) to get a feel for what a BF cab sounds and feels like?

I've got a BF One10 if you're interested in trying one out. I too have used BF for ages. The others mentioned here have sounded as good to me, but not better.

Chris came up with the following point on another thread, which is directly relevant here (and a really helpful additional insight).

Edited by Dad3353

The only way you'll know if a cab is suitable for you needs is to use it in the context of your band at a couple of rehearsals and gigs.

Agreed. that's the value of buying used from the BC marketplace. Buy a cab, try it out for a few weeks, and if it doesn't quite work for you, you should be able to sell it on again for about the same as what you bought it for. It's almost like hiring gear for free... ! :)

The only down-side is the frustrating wait for the right gear to come up - but you can always try something else in the meantime.

For example:
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/308597-vanderkley-112-mnt/
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/308078-sold-tks-1126-cabs/page__p__3329251__hl__barefaced__fromsearch__1#entry3329251
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/306710-barefaced-super-12t-photos-finally-added-%3B/page__p__3329938__hl__barefaced__fromsearch__1#entry3329938
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/305687-withdraw-please-barefaced-super-compact-v3/page__p__3312607__hl__barefaced__fromsearch__1#entry3312607

It's quite funny reading back through some of the sale threads. People raving about gear and saying how they will never move it on. Three months later.... xD Edited by Dad3353