Why become a member? ×

Vanderkley are better than Barefaced cabs, right?!

Al Krow

I had my MarkBass F1 when i first got the BB2, so for me it wasn’t JUST the GK that was the problem.

I play with a pick most of the time and i do find that can sound a bit thin compared to finger style.

The F1 doesn't have a bump in its character either I agree, so the two will sound neutral in comparison to a cabinet with a mid bump (either high or low mids) Edited by Dad3353

The F1 is a great little amp though. Always fancied an F500 too.

Yeah, the F500 was always the one i wanted, especially after getting rid of my old MB SA450 with its sweepable EQ, but I couldn’t find one at a decent price. Edited by Dad3353

Yeah, the F500 was always the one i wanted, especially after getting rid of my old MB SA450 with its sweepable EQ, but I couldn’t find one at a decent price.

Yup same here! But then the B|Amp came along and that's all my itches scratched! I think you might like it! Edited by Dad3353

Yup same here! But then the B|Amp came along and that's all my itches scratched! I think you might like it!

In my case a BDDI cured my amp GAS. I wouldn’t dream of using the F1 without it (or more lately my DG VMT). I find the GK MB800 on its own is just as satisfying though. Edited by Dad3353

• 1 month later...

Had a Retro Two10 and felt it was too deep and lacking definition. Got a BB2 and found it was too deep and lacked the sort of mid range i wanted. Both sold and i moved on to a Vanderkley 1x15. Nice cabs, both very light and good looking (the BB2 especialy) but just not my cup of tea. Even though the website made it seem like the BB2 was the best choice for me, it turned out it wasn't, by a long shot. I'd happily use a BB2 again if i had to though, i do miss the size and weight, but I'm much more comfortable with what i have now.

db5 just re-posting your comment from another thread here, as it also seemed directly relevant to this one! I completely appreciate this is just one person's opinion etc etc but it is really helpful that you have owned and experienced both...sounds like I do need to see if I can try them both out before buying (and unlike trying out a second hand pedal which can be easily moved on at no real cost / loss in value - a quality cab is a much bigger outlay!) As you point out, the BF's lightness is still immensely appealing!

I'm guessing that the BB2 won't be outperformed by other BF cabs (e.g the SM or SC) when it comes to mids? Edited by Dad3353

I loved the BB2 when i first got it, it was once i started gigging it at venues i had played many time before that i felt it was lacking something for me.
I know many people love it so I appreciate its a very personal thing, but i see a lot of BF owners, especial the smaller cabs, using more than one cab. Considering how the BF market the cabs, and if you believe it all, then i say definitely try one before you buy, and even better in a gig environment.

Alex will give you the facts about his cabs.

I don't understand why you would want to put a negative twist on my post.

Its not negative, I was just pointing it out. You also seemed to be questioning the comments from others regarding BF cabs. As if only Alex can explain how they sound and how good they are.

A big apology if I miss read that post, but that how it came across. Edited by Dad3353

Surely Barefaced's trial period exists precisely so that people don't have to rely solely on what Alex says. If you aren't willing to take the plunge based purely on his what he says (unbiased or otherwise) then simply try the cabs for yourself and if you don't like 'em, return 'em. If you're thinking of replacing your current cabs with BF ones then you can literally compare them side by side without having to sell your current ones first. Can't say fairer than that IMO and to be honest I wish more companies - especially new/unknown ones claiming to be better than their more established competition - operated a similar system.

Surely Barefaced's trial period exists precisely so that people don't have to rely solely on what Alex says. If you aren't willing to take the plunge based purely on his what he says (unbiased or otherwise) then simply try the cabs for yourself and if you don't like 'em, return 'em. If you're thinking of replacing your current cabs with BF ones then you can literally compare them side by side without having to sell your current ones first. Can't say fairer than that IMO and to be honest I wish more companies - especially new/unknown ones claiming to be better than their more established competition - operated a similar system.

Hey thanks for pointing that out Cameron - and really good to know, I'd completely missed this when looking at the BF website.

The one month trial

We also believe that the only way to find out if a bass cab is right for you is to play it on a gig - loudspeakers are rather non-linear devices and what might sound lovely at shop loudness may sound completely different when turned up to compete with a drummer. We therefore have a one month trial policy. Buy a cab, use it for a month and if you're not totally happy then we will have it collected and give you a full refund bar the return shipping (£25 for our smaller cabs, £40 for the larger cabs). Just as we expect you to take advantage of our knowledge when ordering a cab, please use us once you have the cab in your hands: If you can't get the tone you want then ask us for help. *Due to shipping costs we can only offer this one month trial period for customers within Europe. Edited by Dad3353

Chopthebass said:

Shame it doesn't extend to Canada. I am still in two minds whether or not to take a chance on one!

I'm guessing that if you offered to cover the shipping in both directions, in the event that you decided against, Alex may well be willing to extend the trial period to Canada too? Don't ask, don't get! :)

Edited by Dad3353

Al Krow said:

I'm guessing that if you offered to cover the shipping in both directions, in the event that you decided against, Alex may well be willing to extend the trial period to Canada too? Don't ask, don't get! :)

I'm not sure but i think you may invoke customs charges for moving things around outside Europe - it may not be quite so simple as it seems. Probably expensive to ship in both directions too.

It could be a better idea to take a chance and buy on on Alex's verbal recommendation and just flip it in Canada if you don't get on with it - they're pretty rare out there so wont hang about long and the price should stay propped up to a point.

Edited by Dad3353

And of course those facts will be totally unbiased against other manufacturers 😉

If Alex has any sense it will be. The trick is to emphasise your products benefits. If you criticise other brands or models, you may be talking to a fanboy and they will immediately mistrust you.

Can I also add that the subject of the thread is is wrong. It could be how do BF and VDK compare but it looks like someone was looking for an online ruck. Edited by Dad3353

Can I also add that the subject of the thread is is wrong. It could be how do BF and VDK compare but it looks like someone was looking for an online ruck.

"How do BF and VDK compare" is absolutely what the thread is about (see the OP) but it's kinda the boring headline that would be attractive only to bass players who are accountants. Need something much more Bell Pottinger or dare I say rock n roll than that! :P Edited by Dad3353

• 2 weeks later...

Some interesting feedback from a couple of BCers who very much know their stuff. Big vote in favour of the BF Retro 210 (and actually further confirmation / corroboration of the experience of others who have been put off by the lack of mids in some of the other BF cabs). Also great news that there is actually now a store in London stocking BF cabs where we can try these out for ourselves.

I've been looking at these BF cabs lately as well, so tried a few out at the Gallery today and walked out having put down a deposit on a 4 ohm Retro 210.

The Super Twin felt like it had too much unrestrained low end boom that would just overpower the stage sound. The mids and treble on the other hand were the opposite and felt very restrained like they wanted to stay in the box. By comparison, the Retro sounded perfect straight away. Just the right amount of bass, way brighter with growly upper mids, the notes just leapt out at me. I have a pair of Ampeg SVT210AV cabs at the moment, so the Retro was much closer to the sound I'm used to.

I'm hoping the one cab can cover most of my needs volume wise. My main amp can go to 2 ohms if I need another cab, and my backup amp is a bit underpowered so could do with 4 ohms to squeeze the most out of it!

Edited by Dad3353