Why become a member? ×

Analog AND digital versions of each effect

CameronJ

As my seemingly unquenchable thirst for new pedals rages on, I've found myself in the position of having or wanting an analog and a digital version of my favourite effect types. I think this is partly because since moving to a battery powered board I'm now particularly aware of the current draw of my pedals. So for all the nice power hungry digital pedals I acquired in my "mains powered" days, I now have a desire to find great sounding analog counterparts to squeeze as many hours per charge as I can. Here are some examples.

Filter - Source Audio Manta (digital, 140mA), MXR Bass Envelope Filter (analog, 6mA), 3Leaf Wonderlove (Analog, 25mA)

Chorus - TC Electronic Corona mini (digital, 100mA), MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe (analog, 30mA)

Dirt - Source Audio Aftershock (digital, 180mA), Joyo Orange Juice (analog, 25mA)

There are certain effects for which I have a strong preference of either analog or digital though, regardless of the power they need. For example I know I'm not alone in preferring analog octavers for their tone. Right now I've got an Aguilar Octamizer and DOD Meatbox, with a desire to add something a bit more OC2-like such as a 3Leaf Octabvre or similar. At the same time I quite like digital delays for their potential versatility. I currently have a TC Flashback which will definitely be getting replaced by a Flashback 2 at some point in the not too distant future.

Anyone else have analog & digital versions of the same types of effects? And for any particular reason?

I sorta did the same ...

Replaced digital with analog :

SA Aftershock with DG B7K (have 9v external battery holder)

Subdecay Echobox with Moog MF Delay & Bright Onion Trails Looper with 9v mod (tho digital Subdecay does actually have 9v battery option but still draws a fair bit of mA)

SA Mercury Flanger with Moog MF Flange

Unfortunately my current band doesn't really allow me to utilize mod or delay effects much i.e. they kinda get swallowed up, so I don't see the point of taking (expensive) extra gear esp when were trying to scale down & simplify things so ..

Current battery powered board :

> Korg Pitchblack Advanced Tuner > Darkglass B7K > Rothwell Love Squeeze > amp

Still considering one of these rechargeable lithium-ion psu units & battery as backup.. but which one ?

Also, nice thing about Moog / Subdecay / Rothwell pedals is 'if you leave 9v daisy chain lead plugged in like when I use a onespot at home instead of wasting batteries it bypasses the battery so you can leave the jack leads plugged in which is handy if you've set it all up on a pedal board' .. also new Korg tuner I've got not only has great battery life (according to Korg lol) it still allows signal to flow even without a battery !

Edited by sifi2112

Ah so you've completely replaced your digital pedals with analog ones? I actually don't use the "traditional" battery option on any of my pedals - my main board is powered by two Rockboard LT XL lithium packs. I've tried to distribute the pedal load as evenly as possible between them so they discharge at the same rate. Seems to work so far!

I was on the Thomann website the other day though and saw that they've released this: https://m.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_powerplant_powerbank.htm?ref=prod_rel_402975_4

Seems to be cheaper and has a good amount more capacity than my LT XLs while not being much bigger (can still fit under my boards). I may just buy one for my PT Nano+ and check it out. Though at that price I'm tempted to just take the plunge and get two since they may end up on my big board if they're noticeably better than the ones I'm using now.

Edited by CameronJ

Yeah I saw that Thomann one .. as I've 5 of these battery clip ones & only use 3 pedals (2 of which have internal batteries) I'm in no rush to get but probably will at some point, or something similar & use 9v batteries as backup instead of onespot.

I think I also prefer analog to digital tho I was rather impressed with the SA Aftershock :)

The Aftershock is amazing! As is the Manta to be fair - so much so that I bought an MXR Bass Envelope Filter a couple of weeks ago thinking I was maybe missing some analog magic. Long story short I found that the Manta just sounds better and can do more. Still hasn't stopped me buying a 3Leaf Wonderlove from the classifieds though :lol:

Really want Source Audio to put out an octave pedal. Now THAT would be interesting.