Why become a member? ×

Precision suddenly too bright.

sirmuppet

Hi all.

I have a 2015 American Precision Bass Standard. Have used this as my main bass for the last (almost) year. About 6 months ago or so I switched to D'addario Prosteels and have been using them on all of my basses.

My guitarist had said that he found it hard to hear my D and G strings and a gig. So with a small break in gigs I popped my bass in for a setup and re-string. When I got it back the pickup height was really high. So much so when I played high up the neck the strings were hitting off the pickup. Also the bass was distorting on the E.

I adjusted the pickup height but it sounds way too bright. Also on the E I'm getting a sharp sound when I pick the string. I've checked the setup but I'm at a loss as the what it can be. I've had to adjust the settings on my amp by a lot, normally the treble is up at 6.5 and pulled out to the extra bright. I've turned it down to 4 and pushed it in to the regular bright setting and I'm still getting it.

I've looked online but can't find this exact issue. Does anyone have any ideas?

Probably not the issue on yours but on an Ibanez where I work the E string could touch the pickup when played a bit too enthusiastically which gave a sharp sound. Easy to check as you just need to push the string until it touches the pickup and see if the sound is similar.

Is it worth taking it back to who set it up? As it seems they either didn't check with you what you wanted or did it very badly.

You might need to screw the pickup down a bit further. I had to in order to balance the output on my P/J. It also sounds like your action might be a little low - especially if you like to dig in a bit like I do. As long as the neck relief is set correctly the other adjustments are easy to do, even for the most inexperienced among us

When I set up P basses, whether my own or for customer's, I will initially set the pick up with a gap of 3.6 mm under the E and 2.4 mm under the G, this is with the relevant string pressed down at the last fret and then measuring between the bottom of the string and the top of the pole piece.
I find this to be a good start and generally achieves even volume across the strings.

If I'm doing the set up for a very hard hitting plectrum user then I sometimes take the pick ups down a little more but for most, the measurements up above work just fine.

I`ve had this, and yes, it`s pickup height. Gary Macs height recommendations are a good place to start and, as one of those hard-hitters, getting the E under control often means lowering it more.

However if you`ve done that and the bass is still too trebly I`d ask the person you took it to if they changed any electrics, namely the pots - going from the regular 250s to 500s will add in a lot of top end.

Cheers for the replies guys.

I'll check the string spacing tonight but if I remember correctly the screw is sitting flush with the pickguard on the E. So pretty low but can go further if needed.

When I get a chance I'll take the pickguard off and see what the tone pot is. They never mentioned ant change to electrics.

It's no issue to take it back in as I know the shop very well. The setup itself was spot on. I checked it against Fenders guide and it was exactly that except for the pickup height.

Any way, I'll report back with that I find when I check it tonight.

Thanks again.

Ok, that's me in now. Have tried all my basses out. My Mex PJ bass (Which I only use the P pickup on) sounds much much darker. My thunderbird and Jazz sound just like they should and all three of those basses have a similar output. My USA P-bass has a lot quieter.

I've compared the pickup height and on the last fret I have a clearance of 4mm on the E and 2.5mm on the G for the USA with the Mex it's 3mm on the E and 2.5mm on the G.

I should point out the USA p-bass has it's stock pickup which is Fenders Custom Shop 60's and the Mex has a Seymour Duncan SPB-2. So I'd imagine there'd be some difference in output but I would not have though this much.

Based on the above, any further suggestions?

Oh and all have the same strings with both P-basses having about 2-3 gigs on them.

Thanks, G.

The SPB-2 is famed for having more mids and as such being more aggressive. The Custom Shop Precision pickups are anything but, they have a lovely tone to them - I`ve two US Standards that have these in, warm rounded P-Bass heaven imo. Given that the output of the bass is also a lot quieter than your others I`d reckon on some wiring/connections/solder joints maybe being loose. If I recall correctly this happened to me on an install that a mate did once, all that came out was high end at very low volume - uninstalled the pickup, resoldered and all was fine.

1) strings sound different.

2) rough rule of thumb as you wind the pickup away from the strings you get more bass and less mids. Also less volume.
So on a two pickup bass you can balance both volume and tone with pickup height.

Rereading: Obviously you're taking about low output AND low low end... so ignore me and check your wiring like's been said

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1499723844' post='3333222']
The SPB-2 is famed for having more mids and as such being more aggressive. The Custom Shop Precision pickups are anything but, they have a lovely tone to them - I`ve two US Standards that have these in, warm rounded P-Bass heaven imo. Given that the output of the bass is also a lot quieter than your others I`d reckon on some wiring/connections/solder joints maybe being loose. If I recall correctly this happened to me on an install that a mate did once, all that came out was high end at very low volume - uninstalled the pickup, resoldered and all was fine.
[/quote]

Cool. It's pretty much what I was thinking it might be. I have my amp on 2 for all my other basses but have to turn it up to 4 for this one. That gigging volume on my other basses.

So you think the SPB-2 is aggressive? I find it pretty muddy compared to the rest. Though it is in a bass with a J pickup and wired to a master volume with a pan pot but I mostly use it on just the P pickup.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1499755644' post='3333283']
1) strings sound different.

2) rough rule of thumb as you wind the pickup away from the strings you get more bass and less mids. Also less volume.
So on a two pickup bass you can balance both volume and tone with pickup height.

Rereading: Obviously you're taking about low output AND low low end... so ignore me and check your wiring like's been said
[/quote]

Yeah, I was worried that I may have lowered the pickup too low as well but after checking it's not much lower than the others but a huge drop in output. I should have A/B'd it before posting but since it was just a setup I didn't think wiring would have been the issue. That said the foam underneath was replaced so maybe something came lose when that was done? Any way I'll take the bass in tomorrow and report back once they've checked it over. Worst case I guess is a pickup change.

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1499838361' post='3333910']
Does the tone control still work? If the tone functions like a second volume control then one of the pickup coils is broken. Rather than making no sound this makes pickups sound bright and harsh with little proper low end.
[/quote]

I never got a chance to check it before I took it in. I'll report back whatever they find.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1499934370' post='3334552']
New strings almost invariably sound brighter!
[/quote]

Very true but not lower output. Until I compared it to my other basses I thought the same though my Jazz has had only one rehearsal on the same strings and the P-bass sounds much brighter than that. The much lower output (than even the Jazz and other P-bass) makes me think the same as Lozz196 that it may be a wiring issue or similar electrical problem.

• 4 weeks later...

Should have updated this. Got my bass back and it seems to be working perfectly now. Sounds great but just need to balance the strings more. The G sounds weak compared to the other 3. Got it pretty close too. I'll try the above recommendations from Gary Mac.

Didn't clarify the issue. Looked like something was wrong with the wiring but it's fixed now.

I've balanced the pickup height as per Gary Mac's suggestion. Won't get to try it out properly until a week on Sat but after setting it up during sound check on Sat it wasn't a million miles away and I felt like the balance was almost there. With any luck this will get it closer and I can tweak from there onwards. Thanks again for all the advice.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1502353120' post='3350813']
Glad to hear that you are almost sorted. :)
[/quote]

Yeah. Never thought until someone mentioned it that it might be a wiring issue as it had been working perfectly before.

Can I pick your brains a tad more? With the E being 3.6mm and the G being 2.4mm do you make the the A 3.2mm and D 2.8mm or do you keep them A 3.6mm and D 2.4mm?

Also I got the EAD strings sounding fine but the G was still a little weak. It was sitting pretty close. Is there a point at which it can be too close and drop output? I know lowering it gives it a bassier tone and generally reduces output a little but not sure if it can be too close and cause output issues without touching the string obviously. I have use your settings on my Jaguar bass but haven't got round to setting up this one with them as yet, just wanted to ask.

I should also point out I use D'addario Prosteel 105-50 gauge. So a little thicker on the D and G strings than D'addarios normal standard gauge.

Thanks.

Once you have the E and G strings at the height that want them, then the other two should follow the radius of the fret board.

A set of these gauges are a good investment.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Steel-Guitar-Understring-Radius-Gauge-for-Acoustic-Guitar-Acccessory-9-Pack-/372037677801?hash=item569f2c72e9:g:jdMAAOSwnsZZiFP4"]http://www.ebay.co.u...dMAAOSwnsZZiFP4[/url]

As an alternative, if you want to save the expense, I think you can download templates online.

There is such a thing as getting the string too close to the pick up and this can affect intonation and cause an oscillating type of effect.

Cool. thanks. I take it when you mention "[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]E and G strings at the height that want them[/font][/color]" you mean at the saddle? I'm guessing the pickups should also follow this in respect that the radius is tilted somewhat from being 3.6 at one side and 2.4 at the other? Just trying to clarify it as it's what I've done and am just waiting to try it out.

On another note (No pun intended) I have a Jazz bass where all the strings are perfect except for the D which appears a little lower in volume than the rest. Ever encountered this and if so any suggestions on how to correct it?

[quote name='sirmuppet' timestamp='1502364560' post='3350934']
Cool. thanks. I take it when you mention "[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]E and G strings at the height that want them[/font][/color]" you mean at the saddle? [b]Yes[/b]

I'm guessing the pickups should also follow this in respect that the radius is tilted somewhat from being 3.6 at one side and 2.4 at the other? Just trying to clarify it as it's what I've done and am just waiting to try it out. [b]The pickups are adjusted to taste. Sometimes I find it easier to do the adjustments and achieve even string volume when playing the bass through a proper rig at gig volume.[/b]

On another note (No pun intended) I have a Jazz bass where all the strings are perfect except for the D which appears a little lower in volume than the rest. Ever encountered this and if so any suggestions on how to correct it? [b]If you are confident that it is not just a duff string, I would again be looking at pick up and saddle height. [/b]
[/quote]