Why become a member? ×

Rack issues

Dr.Dave

I was putting the new gear in the new ABS 4u yest. The amp is well off the bottom and I was wondering what to pack the space with to reduce the strain on the front.
Ideal material would be light,cheap,strong,easy to install and fit perfectly.

Brainwave..... why not cover the amp and rack surfaces with low tac tape to protect them and squirt some builders expanding foam into the gap. The stuff they fill door/window frames with.
Weighs nothing,it's strong when set,exact fit,piss simple to get in the right place and cheap as chips.

So long as you avoid getting it near fans or other orifices can anybody think why that's a really sh*t idea before I try it?

While I'm on. I can see why rack's tend to be black - but where is it written that the inside should be black too. Why not white so we can see in the back better.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='32868' date='Jul 17 2007, 09:08 AM']I was putting the new gear in the new ABS 4u yest. The amp is well off the bottom and I was wondering what to pack the space with to reduce the strain on the front.
Ideal material would be light,cheap,strong,easy to install and fit perfectly.

Brainwave..... why not cover the amp and rack surfaces with low tac tape to protect them and squirt some builders expanding foam into the gap. The stuff they fill door/window frames with.
Weighs nothing,it's strong when set,exact fit,piss simple to get in the right place and cheap as chips.

So long as you avoid getting it near fans or other orifices can anybody think why that's a really sh*t idea before I try it?

While I'm on. I can see why rack's tend to be black - but where is it written that the inside should be black too. Why not white so we can see in the back better.[/quote]

Hello,

I have two rack cases which I use with a various combination of amp heads, compression unit & tuner.

I've always been of the opinions there should be as much room around a amp head as possible to aid cooling. Therefore i'd be more tempted if you need 'under-amp-support' to use stick on rubber feet (from B &Q - other DIY stores available ..he.he).
The foam you mentioned would act as an insulator and therfore keep in the heat - not good. Oh, and its blo*dy messy too - think about if you ever needed to sell the amp etc, it would be very stained.

As far as the insided is concerned, i've fitted a little battery powered LED (camping) light into the roof of my larger rack case. This serves as a great light source to prevent 'mole-eyed-squinting' on stage. Do a search on the 'bay for one.

Hope i've helped,

Greg :)

[quote name='five-string.co.uk' post='32885' date='Jul 17 2007, 09:46 AM']As far as the insided is concerned, i've fitted a little battery powered LED (camping) light into the roof of my larger rack case. This serves as a great light source to prevent 'mole-eyed-squinting' on stage. Do a search on the 'bay for one.

Hope i've helped,

Greg :)[/quote]

I already use one of those plug shaped baby night lights that go straight into the 4 gang. Quid from Wilkinson. Point is ,if the insides of racks were white we may not need to.

I hadn't thought of the 'insulator' effect of using foam. Underneath though wih a fan side mounted??
It won't be messy or spoil the amp/rack because I had a further idea of squirting it into a pre positioned cheap sandwich bag.

Anyway I'm glad of the input - any more reasons why it might be a crap idea?

I stuff some normal packing foam underneath the rear end of my poweramp to take up the strain..well, actually.. I used to. My Powersoft is actually light enough to sit at the top of my rack without any undue stress.

Dave, I still have that nightlight ya sent me ;o) - although it no longer lives in my rack as I no loger have any ac sockets in the back of the rack.

[quote name='finnbass' post='33199' date='Jul 17 2007, 06:50 PM']Dave, that stuff sticks like sh1t to a blanket. You will have to chisel your amp out of the rack case even if you do tape it all up.[/quote]

Just tested it by sticking a sandwich bag in an envelope and squirting it in. Buggered off and had some nosebag - when I returned a nice , solid , sandwich bag enclosed, lump of expanding foam came straight out of the inside of a spotless envelope.

I'm tempted.

Even though my butty went stale in the fridge. Maybe I should have used a new one.