Why become a member? ×

I picked up a bass soul food ....again

krispn

Second try for the BSF.

I made a slight change to my rig recently as I'm now employing the services of an Ashdown Spyder 550 as my main head into my trusty 212. This is a more 'colored' tone than my other rig but I'm liking the coloration and it's got that valve feel about it. With my gigging pub band the head has a great present tone and perfect for that classic p bass/valve amp sound.

My pedal board, at its core, has a Basswitch IQ DI and I'm running a Cali 76cb in the always on loop and I have a Hudson Electronics Broadcast into which I plug the bass which then plugs into the basswitch. The BSF is in the other, blendable loop of the basswitch with a 50/50 mix.

With the Broadcast and the Cali 76 (which are always on) hitting the front end of the 550 I get a great finger tone which is full and epitomizes what a p bass should sound like according to the gospel of music I like. If I use a pick I get what I like to think of as a Should I Stay Or Should I Go tone but with less flub or tubines and more defined edges and it's a glorious noise altogether. I could probably think of a better example but it's been a long day.

Fast forward to more recently and I fancied a touch more drive to fill out sections of songs and basically rock up the set we do without going Darkglass aggressive. For my set up the BSF has been the missing link in the tonal chain. It can be stacked well with my current pedals and in turn push the 550 into a delightful tizzy of mild tonal irritation without spitting the dummy out.

Previously I was relying on the BSF as my main source of drive albeit into a very clean preamp but I think it works better stacked with other pedals. I don't have the Broadcast pushing my amp too hard nor do I have the output on the Cali over the top but by utilizing just enough gain on both the amp is very responsive. The BSF just lifts an already pleasing tone to the that wonderful point where it's just running at the edge. It's like a well cooked bit of toast just needs the butter to set if off..... my rig before the BSF was a nice piece of toast and the BSF has been the butter.

From my previous and current experience I'd say the BSF shines in a band setting and is a different beast when tinkering about at bedroom levels. I'd say this is true for any gear though you need to try it in your band environment to appreciate if it will work or not. I'm rig happy and the three bands I'm in have all benefited from the addition of the BSF.. You should really go try one it you feel your rig could do with a little added sauce.

Roll on the next gig 😀