Why become a member? ×

Bass guitar and amp issues

Hello all,

I've used this site for a number of years but this is my first time posting! I have recently bought a new Warwick Thumb BO and use it when gigging through my trace elliott AH-1200 usually with a 4 x 10 cab.

The first issue is regarding the amp, previously is used to use a stingray and found that when I get to a decent volume the sound (usually more the bass end) always sounds like it's being gated with a slow attack, which I obviously don't want as it loses the impact - the volume will be turned up to around 6-7 and the gain is something similar.

Secondly, now I have the warwick thumb bass I find that I lose any bottom end specifically on the bottom E string - I've tried correcting it with eq but it doesn't really give the sound I want, and I wondered if this is just because of the guitar, as the stingray was fine with bottom end, or whether I can change something else, i.e. pickup height, different amp??

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm looking at trading in my trace elliott and trying a Hartke 5410 combo, does anyone know how this will affect things?

Thanks in advance!

Tom

I would be looking to borrow something else to put the bass through to see if it still sounds the same, then you know whether you should be looking at fiddling with the amp or the bass. Tricky though, as everything sounds different.