Why become a member? ×

Bad action conundrum

Marvin

The local secondary school, at which my kids go to, have several basses, mostly Encore p basses, which are in a pretty dire state quite frankly.

I said to Mrs Marvin, who happens to work there, that if the head of music wanted I'd pop in and give them a basic set up (if possible).

It's the usual story of actions you could drive a bus under, dead strings, missing controls, cracked pickguards etc.

However, all bar one is straightforward to sort out. This one bass has me a little foxed. The action is appalling, probably x3 times higher than what would be considered average. I checked the neck relief and although it was a bit more than you'd want it wasn't way off, it'd only need a tweak. The problem is the saddles are wound right down on the bridge, they won't go any lower yet the strings are a mile off the fretboard.

The only thing I could think was that the neck looked very sunken into the neck pocket, only really the slim rosewood fretboard and a slim slither of of maple. None of my necks are like that.

Advice greatly appreciated :)

Cheers. A shim, I'd overlooked that. Thanks for the link, it's great 'how to'.

All I hope is that the shim doesn't have to be something like 2 credit cards worth in thickness :)

The bodies on these basses have got some real nice relicing going on, people would pay good money for this sort of ageing. They have lovely looking couple of Squier strats where the white body on one and the scratchplate on another have gone a lovely yellowy creamy colour. I'm hunting around trying to find bits and bobs to replace broken parts. As I said my wife works there, my kids go there and I know the tech (I was in a band with him briefly).