"Unlining" a lined fretless.

26 replies to this topic

#1 oldslapper

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 06:25 PM

I have possibilty of buying a very nice lined fretless jazz bass, however I prefer unlined boards.
The neck is beautifully aged, so don't want to swap necks.
Any suggestions on refinishing/painting a neck to a plain finish? I'd have to do something about moving the side dots too.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks,
John

#2 roman_sub

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 06:59 PM

I think the only way to do it properly would be to replace the fingerboard entirely. That's likely to be £200+ job... unless the bass in question is really, really special, I wouldnt recommend it!

For what it's worth, I found playing on lined boards easier, having previously only played unlined ones.
My feedback: http://basschat.co.u...__hl__roman_sub

Free sound engineering (location/mix/master): http://basschat.co.u...xing-mastering/

Stuff for sale:

Fender Custom 60's Jazz Bass pickup set: http://basschat.co.u...-of-2012-amstd/

Fender USA Deluxe Precision Bass pickup: http://basschat.co.u...p/#entry3339313

Vintage EMG P/J pickups: http://basschat.co.u...pj-l100-posted/

Fender USA jazz 3-ply pickguard (white): http://basschat.co.u...e/#entry3306657

Fender Precision Minty White pickguard + wiring harness: http://basschat.co.u...wiring-harness/

Hofner Travel Guitar: http://basschat.co.u...-l60-collected/

Hughes & Kettner Tubeman overdrive preamp: http://basschat.co.u...mp-l100-posted/

#3 oldslapper

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 07:08 PM

roman_sub, on 11 July 2017 - 06:59 PM, said:

I think the only way to do it properly would be to replace the fingerboard entirely. That's likely to be 200+ job... unless the bass in question is really, really special, I wouldnt recommend it!

For what it's worth, I found playing on lined boards easier, having previously only played unlined ones.

Thanks for the reply. Hoping to not have to replace the board, but might be an option. Funnily enough, I find lined boards more confusing. 😊.

#4 walbassist

No Wals now, just Franz basses

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 08:00 PM

Unless it is proper vintage or valuable, I'd just have a nice unlined board fitted. Eliminating the lines and moving the dots on the existing board will devalue it anyway, so why not just have what your want?
Basses: Franz Sirius fretless 5 // Franz Sirius DC fretted 5 // Sigma BMC1-STE // Hora Slimline Upright
Amps: Markbass CMD Super Combo K1 // Markbass Traveler 123 cab // Markbass Nano Mark 300

FOR SALE: // Providence "Bass Boot" Compressor Pedal // Artec Big Dots Pedal Tuner //

My Basschat Feedback

Basschat Terms and Conditions / Forum Behaviour Guidelines / Rules and Guidelines on Marketplace Use

#5 oldslapper

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:27 PM

walbassist, on 11 July 2017 - 08:00 PM, said:

Unless it is proper vintage or valuable, I'd just have a nice unlined board fitted. Eliminating the lines and moving the dots on the existing board will devalue it anyway, so why not just have what your want?

Sounds like replacing the board is the only option. Shame, as I thought there might be a simpler solution.
Thanks for the suggestions chaps 🙂

#6 ikay

Still learning to walk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 06:47 AM

A suitably coloured marker pen carefully applied? Cheap and cheerful, but then I am!
Basses: 1970s double bass, '57 Fender Precision (original); '72 Fender Precision; '72 Fender Jazz; '85 Squier MIJ PB-331 (32"); '92 Stingray 5; '97 Yamaha TRB5; 2002 Lakland JO4; 2007 Rob Allen Mouse fretless, 2007 Fender MIJ JB62M (32"); 2010 ACG Recurve 5 fretless
Amps: MarkBass LMIII; Bergantino HT112ER, DBX 160A
Bands: Natural Souls + Little White Blue

#7 Beedster

------------------------------

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,755 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:27 AM

Halfway between marker pen and new board is wood dye; many DB boards are blonde but dyed to look like they're a darker (and more expensive) wood. Go careful!

#8 oldslapper

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:39 AM

Beedster, on 12 July 2017 - 07:27 AM, said:

Halfway between marker pen and new board is wood dye; many DB boards are blonde but dyed to look like they're a darker (and more expensive) wood. Go careful!

Thanks Chris I'll check that out.

#9 Norris

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:41 AM

Coat the board in black epoxy?
'04 Genuine bass of novel headstock and body design that I shall not deign to mention by name
'04 Squier P-bass Special (Indonesian, gun metal grey metallic)
'09 Gibson Thunderbird
'80 Aria Pro II SB-1000 (mk1 batwing) - being restored
Fender Rumble 500 (V3) combo
GT-6B

My feedback thread

The Cheeze's facebook page

#10 walbassist

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:04 AM

If you decide to go for a new board I would recommend Brook Guitars down in Devon. They did a superb job on this P bass I used to own.
Basses: Franz Sirius fretless 5 // Franz Sirius DC fretted 5 // Sigma BMC1-STE // Hora Slimline Upright
Amps: Markbass CMD Super Combo K1 // Markbass Traveler 123 cab // Markbass Nano Mark 300

FOR SALE: // Providence "Bass Boot" Compressor Pedal // Artec Big Dots Pedal Tuner //

My Basschat Feedback

Basschat Terms and Conditions / Forum Behaviour Guidelines / Rules and Guidelines on Marketplace Use

#11 oldslapper

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 11:05 AM

walbassist, on 12 July 2017 - 08:04 AM, said:

If you decide to go for a new board I would recommend Brook Guitars down in Devon. They did a superb job on this P bass I used to own.

That is a lovely job. What did it cost (was that the 200 you mentioned in your earlier reply?)

#12 oldslapper

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 11:05 AM

Norris, on 12 July 2017 - 07:41 AM, said:

Coat the board in black epoxy?

Another option to consider cheers.

#13 walbassist

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 11:27 AM

View Postoldslapper, on 12 July 2017 - 11:05 AM, said:

That is a lovely job. What did it cost (was that the £200 you mentioned in your earlier reply?)

I think it was £220 all in IIRC.

My Basschat Feedback

#14 Beedster

------------------------------

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,755 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 02:16 PM

I think a new board on a neck that already works for you is a risk and an expense too far. I had a fretless ebony board put on a Precision neck a while back and it never sang as well as it had with the old, albeit worn out, fretless rosewood board. I don't think it was a bad job, just that for some reason it changed the response of the instrument in a way I didn't really care for. It could have been the mass, density, depth or even simply the surface of the new board, but either way, I wish I'd left it as it was.

Lovely looking neck all the same walbassist :)

#15 Marc S

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts
  • Interests:An old punk at heart. But I like all sorts of music these days. Wish I had time to play my DB more...

Posted 12 July 2017 - 02:27 PM

I'd go for the option of at least just trying the marker pen first. You never know - it might just work...
Failing that, Beedsters suggestion of wood dye is the next step.... Always try the cheaper option first, especially if it does the least "damage"

Beedsters point above, re a new board not "singing" right or sounding and even feeling the same is also a valid point. A pal of mine used to have an old Precision, which had been de-fretted. The board had been treated rather poorly in the past, the fret slots hadn't been filled very tidily at all - looked a bit of a mess. However, he had a new board put on it, at considerable cost, and it never quite felt or sounded the same again. So much so, that he sold the bass, and bought... you guessed it - another old Precision (with worn frets) and de-fretted it.....

My fretless (Jazz) is lined, and I know I much prefer it. Oddly enough, I don't mind the dots on the side of the neck being in the "wrong" place either - it seems to work for me anyway :)

Edited by Marc S, 12 July 2017 - 02:28 PM.

#16 oldslapper

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 02:57 PM

ikay, on 12 July 2017 - 06:47 AM, said:

A suitably coloured marker pen carefully applied? Cheap and cheerful, but then I am!

On the lines and dots?

#17 oldslapper

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 02:59 PM

Marc S, on 12 July 2017 - 02:27 PM, said:

My fretless (Jazz) is lined, and I know I much prefer it. Oddly enough, I don't mind the dots on the side of the neck being in the "wrong" place either - it seems to work for me anyway :)

Just goes to show....whatever works 😊

#18 Grangur

Bahh Humbug!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,151 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 03:02 PM

Beedster, on 12 July 2017 - 02:16 PM, said:

I think a new board on a neck that already works for you is a risk and an expense too far. I had a fretless ebony board put on a Precision neck a while back and it never sang as well as it had with the old, albeit worn out, fretless rosewood board. I don't think it was a bad job, just that for some reason it changed the response of the instrument in a way I didn't really care for. It could have been the mass, density, depth or even simply the surface of the new board, but either way, I wish I'd left it as it was.

Lovely looking neck all the same walbassist :)

As they say; if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
See my feedback

#19 Andyjr1515

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,526 posts
  • Interests:Playing, building, modding basses and guitars amongst a myriad of other interests, none of which I can afford nearly enough time or cash!

Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:41 AM

View PostBeedster, on 12 July 2017 - 07:27 AM, said:

As Grangur says, the best route is probably to do nothing - pretty much all mods will reduce the resale value assuming the bass is in original spec.

However, if it really bugs you but you really like the bass and intend it to be a keeper, I suspect it's the position of the side dots that are the issue more than the board itself?

If so, as Beedster says probably the aesthetic issue can easily be sorted with a proper dye (proper so that it isn't going to come off on your fingers!)
The side dots, if they are set into the ebony only, would be a case of drilling out the old ones and filling with epoxy mixed with ebony dust (which can be collected while preparing the board for its dye or I could send you some for free) and then new dots installed in the new positions.
Not a job for someone of no experience in these sorts of things, but not actually a particularly difficult or risky job.

Hope this helps

Edited by Andyjr1515, 13 July 2017 - 06:42 AM.

Andy R

Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass
Custom Fretless Bass
URL: www.ajrguitarmods.co.uk

#20 walbassist

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 07:45 AM

I totally get the point that a new board is a risk, as there's no guarantee it'll sound as good as it did before: my reason for suggesting it was that the minute you do anything that changes the original neck you are devaluing the bass, so it may as well be an option.

My Basschat Feedback

#21 oldslapper

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 09:23 AM

Thanks again for the suggestions, and the kind offer.
It's the side dots that are the main issue, the lines are irritating more than anything, as I tend to look straight down onto the side rather than onto the board itself. But estheticly I prefer a plain board, no lines, no dots....but it's just personal taste.
I'm not the best person for structural mods, so I'd use a tech for that. The bass isn't hugely valuable (600 approx) but is viewed as a "vintage" pedigree being Japanese.
Cheers,
John

#22 Jean-Luc Pickguard

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:59 AM

I got a fantastic unlined precision neck with ebony board from brandoni guitars when I built my fretless precision several years ago. I think it was about 100 then, so replacing the neck could be a much cheaper and easily reversible option to modifying the existing neck. In your position however I would keep the lines & get used to them.
I have some basses amps & fx, but can't be bothered to list them.

#23 oldslapper

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 01:51 PM

Jean-Luc Pickguard, on 15 July 2017 - 10:59 AM, said:

I got a fantastic unlined precision neck with ebony board from brandoni guitars when I built my fretless precision several years ago. I think it was about 100 then, so replacing the neck could be a much cheaper and easily reversible option to modifying the existing neck. In your position however I would keep the lines & get used to them.

That's very reasonable for a replacement neck.

#24 Count Bassy

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:51 AM

Take your lined fretless - Close your eyes - Ta Da! instant unlined fretless. :)
Clive Thorne
Daventry,
UK.

#25 oldslapper

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:40 PM

Count Bassy, on 17 July 2017 - 11:51 AM, said:

Take your lined fretless - Close your eyes - Ta Da! instant unlined fretless. :)
😊

Mind you....I'd probably fall over....or asleep

#26 MoonBassAlpha

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,521 posts
  • Interests:Bass, Guitar, Drums (a bit), Squash

Posted 18 July 2017 - 11:02 AM

I've had a fretless neck done with black lines. Pretty much invisible from a distance against a rosewood (actually, pao ferro) board. Carefully applied Sharpie would achieve similar temporary effect.
U.S. Masters EP42 trans blue-- U.S. Masters EP42 lacewood fretless-- Sei Flamboyant headless 4
Genz-Benz Shuttle3.0 & Shuttle6.0--Ashdown CTM15 - Barefaced Super Midget G3, Midget G2-- 1x12 cab with EVM12L-- 1x10 baby cab with Celestion BN200-10X

My feedback Music by Charms Against The Evil Eye: https://soundcloud.com/the-new-moon
For sale: Celestion Greenbacks
Zoom MRS-1266 12 track digital recorder

#27 oldslapper

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:02 AM

Bought a bitsa jazz with unlined warmoth neck in the end.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
John

Here's some details http://basschat.co.u...asses-for-sale/

Edited by oldslapper, 21 July 2017 - 07:22 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users