Why become a member? ×

Darkglass - B3K vs Vintage Microtubes

Tripehound

Playing a Ric 4003S and a Dingwall SJ5 through a Super Bassman 300 usually through the 'vintage' channel but I find myself coveting those Darkglass pedals for a bit of dirt on traditional rock numbers.

Can anyone offer advice on the difference between the B3K and the Vintage Microtubes?

Or should I go back to the 'modern' channel on the amp?

So.....

I have had a B7K and a VMT and also have a Darkglass amp which of course has the VMT and b3k circuit.

I never really gelled with the VMT either pedal or on the amp. I
Didn't find it 'vintage' I found it a little muddy and underwhelming, don't get me wrong it was a quality build, but I did it find it very vintage.

The B7K could do a good clean tone as well as modern clunky fizz.

Ultimately the b3k engine on the amp, which is the same as the pedal actually gives you not just a modern overdrive, but also I think more of a vintage in its sound.

Best thing is a b3k is relatively cheap and can be gotten second hand.
Now everyone's voicing of drive is different, so I am giving you my take, but bass wise I play Sandberg's, both passive a MarloweDK and a VS4.
Other pedals I use are a Two Notes LeBass, Hartke VXL pre amp, Cali76G compressor with its Germanium transistor.

Bands and bassists I love are kings X (dUg Pinnick), Cactus (Tim Bogert), Glenn hughes, just to give you a picture.

Out of those 2 defo b3k

B3K sounds more aggressive and has a mid scoop along with a bump in the upper mids that really accentuates the snarl of, say a J bass with both pups up full. Best suited for modern rock and metal.

The VMT is a lot smoother, more going on the midrange and a duller top end. Best suited for classic rock and blues.

But any comparison between these two should also include the Pike Vulcan! It (controversially) descended from the Darkglass pedals, and has two distortion sounds your can blend between, one modern, one vintage. Harder to find especially on these shores, but I prefer it by a long way.

Edited by dannybuoy