Why become a member? ×

Most common roundwound gauge

Guest MoJo

I've just ordered a set of 55 - 120 (four string) for a Thunderbird that will be tuned DGCF. According to D'Addario's calculator, that will be same tension as my standard 50 - 105 I use for EADG. I had to order individual strings as there isn't a set of that weight.

When I used flats I bought individual Chromes to be as balanced as possible plus allow me to drop the E to D. They were 45, 60, 80, 110 and were pretty much spot on tension wise from string to string.

No I'm back to rounds D'addario's 165EXLs are perfect for me, even when dropping the E down to B

Edited by Delberthot

Might anyone have a suggestion for a round wound E string that is slightly tighter in feel than the 100 string from the 170EXL set?

On my Jazz the 170EXL set is perfect, but on my P I could do with a stiffer E string. The 105 seems to lack some snap, unfortunately.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1499848553' post='3333986']
I tend to use the 5-string equivalent of 40-100, but IMO the E and Low B strings in these sets nearly always feel to flexible and are definitely much lower tension than the other strings. My ideal set would be something like: 40, 60, 80, 105, 135. That for me would deliver a much more consistent feel between the strings.
[/quote]

This is almost the same as the custom set that I now use on my dingwall which I order directly from newtone, except I have .130 for the B string... works really well too imo. If only someone would make an off the peg set of dingwall compatible strings in this gauge I'd be a very happy panda indeed...

[quote name='Danuman' timestamp='1500076548' post='3335540']
Might anyone have a suggestion for a round wound E string that is slightly tighter in feel than the 100 string from the 170EXL set?

On my Jazz the 170EXL set is perfect, but on my P I could do with a stiffer E string. The 105 seems to lack some snap, unfortunately.
[/quote]

You're currently using EXL170 (45, 65, 80, 100).

Your options for a heavier E from our range would be either the EXL170BT balanced tension set (45, 60, 80, 107) or EXL165 (45, 65, 85, 105).

[quote name='D'AddarioUK' timestamp='1500280035' post='3336576']
Your options for a heavier E from our range would be either the EXL170BT balanced tension set (45, 60, 80, 107) or EXL165 (45, 65, 85, 105).
[/quote]

Cheers, I might have to give the 105 another go then.