Why become a member? ×

Boss fans - feeling flush?!

Musicman20

Eek. So Boss have been telling us about how they've serially improved two of those pedals over many iterations over the last 40 years and now they want 250 quid a pedal. I think not. My experience with Boss gear back in the 80s was that it didn't work too well with bass anyway - certainly not active basses.

I don't see what the problem is. A quick look at completed listings on eBay shows that if you wanted second-hand versions of the original edition pedals that these are copies of, you could be paying nearly as much. In the world of guitar tones technically improved doesn't always mean a better sound.

[quote name='sprocketflup' timestamp='1499886513' post='3334356']
What does the spectrum pedal do? Apart from not load? (geek joke)
[/quote]

[s]It's an enhancer - generates harmonics to spraunce up your sound.[/s]

EDIT: Nope, it's a semi-parametric EQ. Boring!

Edited by JapanAxe

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1499870697' post='3334203']
I don't see what the problem is. A quick look at completed listings on eBay shows that if you wanted second-hand versions of the original edition pedals that these are copies of, you could be paying nearly as much. In the world of guitar tones technically improved doesn't always mean a better sound.
[/quote]

I was interested as a guitarist and not so much as a bassist with this set. I don't tend to pay any attention to eBay as it shows how over inflated these things become, and doesn't tell the complete story.

Yes, I understand a mint original with packaging will be expensive and a collectors piece. Will this new set be the same? Or will it lower the value of the old versions a little?

Who knows.

£750 is a lot of money. I was very interested but I just don't think I can justify that for three basic pedals.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1499937698' post='3334600']
I was interested as a guitarist and not so much as a bassist with this set. I don't tend to pay any attention to eBay as it shows how over inflated these things become, and doesn't tell the complete story.

Yes, I understand a mint original with packaging will be expensive and a collectors piece. Will this new set be the same? Or will it lower the value of the old versions a little?

Who knows.

£750 is a lot of money. I was very interested but I just don't think I can justify that for three basic pedals.
[/quote]

I won't be either, especially when I can get a Line 6 Helix LT for only a couple of pounds more. I was just pointing out that when you compared the price of this set with what people were actually getting for the original pedals, there wasn't a lot of difference.

And I suspect there a are quite a lot of people on here who have 3 boutique devices worth a combined £750 on their pedal boards.

I don't think either of us are the target market for this kind of thing.

Edited by BigRedX

These are for the collectors, probably will be bought by people who have all three of the originals. There's limited numbers of them, they'll sell out I bet! Especially to those who are gigging their originals, and perhaps want to retire them......new versions of their old pedals? They'll lap that up!

Si

Agree with Sibob. The last thing the purchaser, or should say investor, would do buying these is use them. The second to last thing would be to open the packaging.

Investment potential only.

On that basis, with the Rock thing in the pan and about as relevant/fashionable as train-spotting, you're looking at seven years out in the hope the next generation will get back into it. If it becomes like brass bands and destined to be an eternal minority pursuit for hairy people who live in the regions, you'll unlikely ever make up the investment.

I'm not sure the 1,500 units gives it enough exclusivity.

Edited by visog

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a mint original OD1 about 10 years ago for £20. I let our guitarist use it. A while later he turned up a gig without it. I asked him where it was and he said that it was broken and he had thrown it away... WTF?

Edited by itsmedunc