Why become a member? ×

Punters Don't Know The Difference

blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1500937982' post='3341249']
Then you are a part of the far and few in between.

And nothing is fact merely because I say something or you say something.

[b]I get the sense that some think because they play for free they're slightly better than those of us that play for and depend on the money.[/b]

Blue
[/quote]

Again, you are making assumptions. I did not say that, I said I would have loved to be able to make a living out of music, but could not. Being paid or not never enters my head. If it costs me to play a gig through expenses, etc, I will still give it 100%. If I was getting £1000 for the gig I would still not be able to give it any more effort or commitment. No one is taking a pop at anyone, certainly not for being lucky enough to make a living from music. Lighten up.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1500857971' post='3340666']

How many times have we heard;

"I have a job, so I'm not in it for the money"

Blue
[/quote]

The number of times that is the person's circumstance and 100% accurate to their situation I imagine.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1500937982' post='3341249']...
I get the sense that some think because they play for free they're slightly better than those of us that play for and depend on the money...
[/quote]

... and I get a sense of ...

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1500937982' post='3341249']
I get the sense that some think because they play for free they're slightly better than those of us that play for and depend on the money.
[/quote]
that's utter bollocks
if anything, it's the ones getting paid who seem to think they are superior and are true warriors protecting the value of music

the truth is, whether you get paid or not, we are all bass players and no one is better than anyone else

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1500991844' post='3341545']
that's utter bollocks
the truth is, whether you get paid or not, we are all bass players and no one is better than anyone else
[/quote]

Apart from James Jamerson was better at playing Motown Basslines than that bloke in the Sex Pistols.**
:D

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1500975368' post='3341370']

I would have thought that the top pros are leading the way in bass style and expanding its boundaries and are all paid and i tend to rate them as the leaders in bass. Of course there are great pro bassists who are not technically fast or show-offs but can produce a great bass run even tho its simple. It just fits the song.
Again i don't like to rate people on whether they are paid or not. Some un-paid bassists i know are just incredibly talented but they have other commitments nowadays and don't play in bands as such.

Dave
[/quote]

I should have clarified my statement.

I did not mean better in terms of ability or skill.

I meant that some that boast about not being in it for money come off as thinking they're slightly better idealogically.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1500999059' post='3341659']

I meant that some that[b] boast[/b] about not being in it for money come off as [b]thinking they're slightly better idealogically.[/b]

Blue
[/quote]

I think you should stop digging now mate, while we can still see your head. :)

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1500975899' post='3341375']

I have a lot of respect for guys that do it professionally like you. In my opinion i feel you have to be more committed to playing, not better at playing but you need to put more into the full package to get the gigs.
Personally i don't need to put that much effort in but i can still enjoy the odd gig when i get asked to play them by friends etc
That might all change soon as i've been asked to join a function band and they are all in it for the money. :lol:

Dave
[/quote]

Look at the gig schedule. If you can't commit, I suggest turning it down. There's other bass players that want and need the money.

Your right Dave, are perspectives are polar opposites. Playing bass in a rock band is the only thing I've ever been interested in.

And, yes I have to put a lot into it and not for the reasons you might think.

I'm not a great bass player. Even after 50 years it's something I still struggle with. Playing bass is something that never came easy to me like some. I have to practice all the time to stay on top of things.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1500999059' post='3341659']

I meant that some that boast about not being in it for money come off as thinking they're slightly better idealogically.

Blue
[/quote]

To be honest it's more a case of being in a better place financially from what I can see, most people no matter how much they love playing don't want to be in a position where they need a four hour gig most nights just to keep afloat in their mid 60's.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1500999859' post='3341671']
Look at the gig schedule. If you can't commit, I suggest turning it down. There's other bass players that want and need the money.

Your right Dave, are perspectives are polar opposites. Playing bass in a rock band is the only thing I've ever been interested in.

And, yes I have to put a lot into it and not for the reasons you might think.

I'm not a great bass player. Even after 50 years it's something I still struggle with. Playing bass is something that never came easy to me like some. I have to practice all the time to stay on top of things.

Blue
[/quote]

i'm having a meet with the function band hopefully this week. Most are already in my Blues Rock covers band but as you say if its too much of a commitment for me i'll back out rather than waste time. Made that mistake last year when i retired with a 70's covers band. I thought plenty of gigging would take up the time lost from workng. What i actually found was it became more of a job to me and too much commitment for me. I took a step back till they got someone else. I had been their 18th bass player in 10yrs :) Guys were all great and i'm still mates with them and go to their gigs but you are right there are other guys out there that want that level of commitment and obviously the money.

I'm not a great bass player either Blue. I'm probably better than average but i'm no Jaco, Victor Wooten or Mark King but i can do a little of most things or enough to get me by. I have always practiced tho even when i had given up bands for approx 15yrs i still practiced at home. Typicaly when i was younger i practiced every day for approx 2-3hrs. I still practice every day even now altho some days its just for an hour or maybe 2hrs max in any one day.

I think i was like you when i was younger but then i found that my job was more interesting and i wouldn't give up a good full time job (with great salary :lol: ) to take a chance on playing in bands. I knew a few guys that did tho and only one of them did well for himself. Doogie White who sang with Rainbow altho he didn't have a great paying full time job at the time :lol:. He's done pretty well for himself over the years tho.

I don't have a prob with people not agreeing with me on some things Blue. Its just life and wouldn't fall out over it. :lol:

Dave

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1501000964' post='3341693']

To be honest it's more a case of being in a better place financially from what I can see, most people no matter how much they love playing don't want to be in a position where they need a four hour gig most nights just to keep afloat in their mid 60's.[/quote]

First of all I'm not "most people"

To be honest,I'm fine with it. Actually enjoying life like never before.

To be honest, I'll take the fun of playing in a rock band for 4 hours over working 8 hours a day and making some other bloke rich.

Cheers

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1501007281' post='3341759']

i'm having a meet with the function band hopefully this week. Most are already in my Blues Rock covers band but as you say if its too much of a commitment for me i'll back out rather than waste time. Made that mistake last year when i retired with a 70's covers band. I thought plenty of gigging would take up the time lost from workng. What i actually found was it became more of a job to me and too much commitment for me. I took a step back till they got someone else. I had been their 18th bass player in 10yrs :) Guys were all great and i'm still mates with them and go to their gigs but you are right there are other guys out there that want that level of commitment and obviously the money.

I'm not a great bass player either Blue. I'm probably better than average but i'm no Jaco, Victor Wooten or Mark King but i can do a little of most things or enough to get me by. I have always practiced tho even when i had given up bands for approx 15yrs i still practiced at home. Typicaly when i was younger i practiced every day for approx 2-3hrs. I still practice every day even now altho some days its just for an hour or maybe 2hrs max in any one day.

I think i was like you when i was younger but then i found that my job was more interesting and i wouldn't give up a good full time job (with great salary :lol: ) to take a chance on playing in bands. I knew a few guys that did tho and only one of them did well for himself. Doogie White who sang with Rainbow altho he didn't have a great paying full time job at the time :lol:. He's done pretty well for himself over the years tho.

I don't have a prob with people not agreeing with me on some things Blue. Its just life and wouldn't fall out over it. :lol:

Dave
[/quote]

For the 35 years I was in the work force ,I also had what I would consider a nice salary. I hated every day of it and was a huge pain in the arse. How I lasted 35 years is beyond me

Small world, one of my high school band mates and friend played drums with Brand X and Rainbow. He's now on tour with Billy Joel.

BTW, if we all agreed with each other all the time it would be a pretty boring forum.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1501008983' post='3341779']

First of all I'm not "most people"

To be honest,I'm fine with it. Actually enjoying life like never before.

To be honest, I'll take the fun of playing in a rock band for 4 hours over working 8 hours a day and making some other bloke rich.

Cheers

Blue
[/quote]

The point is that they're not working for anyone, they have their houses paid for, cash in the bank and decent pension, they can and do enjoy playing just like you but the ONLY difference is the don't HAVE to.

Fascinating thread even though it appears to have drifted a bit...
I did all this when I was a wet behind the years oik with too much talent and no sense whatsoever, out 7 nights a week year in year out ....but could I do it now...not for a million quid, (hats off to the OP), but when I do have a go I still get nervous and cringe terribly if I drop a clanger which sadly can be more often than not. But I still practise like mad and learn new ways of playing every day....I love it cause I still beleive the audience deserve the best that I can do....
Think Ive gone of piste a bit but u get the drift.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1501010088' post='3341791']

The point is that they're not working for anyone, they have their houses paid for, cash in the bank and decent pension, they can and do enjoy playing just like you but the ONLY difference is the don't HAVE to.
[/quote]

My point only applies to those working in careers for other people.

I'm comfortable and more than happy with my plight in life.

BTW, my home was paid for years ago, and one of the reasons I can do this.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1501010088' post='3341791']
[/quote]

Got it in one.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1501010432' post='3341797']

Blue
[/quote]

"If I don't gig I don't eat" your words Blue.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1501009639' post='3341788']
For the 35 years I was in the work force ,I also had what I would consider a nice salary. I hated every day of it and was a huge pain in the arse. How I lasted 35 years is beyond me

Small world, one of my high school band mates and friend played drums with Brand X and Rainbow. He's now on tour with Billy Joel.

BTW, if we all agreed with each other all the time it would be a pretty boring forum.

Blue
[/quote]

Who was the drummer in Brand X and Rainbow ?

Dave

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1501010432' post='3341797']

Blue
[/quote]

Can i ask how you managed to go from "normal full time job" and being amatuer to being professional.
I'm assuming you were gigging weekends kind of thing even when you were workng in normal job.

I'm interested in how you made the transition and what were the main reasons and highlights or downsides to it at the time.
I've only ever known guys in their teens to early 20's managing to go pro/

Dave

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1501015089' post='3341861']

"If I don't gig I don't eat" your words Blue.
[/quote]

A true statement, and it's something I won't have to worry about anytime soon.

However,I won't be eating much lobster in August

Blue

Edited by blue