Why become a member? ×

Punters Don't Know The Difference

blue

I've always been amazed when a band I think will go down well sinks and one I think will fail goes really well purely based on the audience when setting up, I remember a group of youngish girls loving a blues band I was in once, I thought we'd be bottled off stage!

Another not great band I'm in did a party, we're not a party band but the drummer organised it so his work mates could see us, that was a tough gig!

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='progben' timestamp='1501245211' post='3343554']
I think some people will notice and some people won't (both small and large mistakes). Some people in the crowd have a good ear and others don't.

That said, the [b]'we are/I am good enough' [/b]mentality is very dangerous to have - and that's not just relative to technical performance.

A musician (hobbyist or professional) should always be looking for ways to improve [i]something[/i].

For eg, I play bass in a band and practice often, but I'm also invested in thinking of better setlists, ways to enhance the stage performance, marketing ideas, shirt designs, how to best approach fans after the show, and finding good people to surround the band with.

I agree with Blue (as I understand him) that despite what people do or don't notice, it'll only help you if your standards are much higher than they 'need' to be.
[/quote]

Amen to that..as in this :D

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1501272176' post='3343800']

No, its just the wrong audience for the wrong band. Could be the promoters fault. Its getting the right band in the right place, nothing to do with being un professional or poorly prepared. If you are a well rehearsed Prog Rock band or a great modern Jazz outfit it would be difficult to wing it for a funky dance crowd. Or vice versa. Just cos the room empties does not always mean the band is not good at what they do.
[/quote]

Of course it's the band being unprepared. They haven't done their research. There's so much more to being in a band and playing music. You can't blindly follow the promoter. Ask the questions. Look at the bands the venue usually has in. Ask the venue if you think you'll go down well.

A lot of musicians are lazy (as Blue says), they just want to play the music and not get involved in the marketing side.

Someone said, either upthread or on another thread, "there's loads of musicians better than Ed Sheerhan, he's just lucky he's got a decent marketing team" or words to that effect. It's not luck, he's working with his team, listening to them and talking to them to decide what works.

Anyone who thinks that they can just play good music and be successful isn't living in the real (modern) world.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1501275577' post='3343823']

Of course it's the band being unprepared. They haven't done their research. There's so much more to being in a band and playing music. You can't blindly follow the promoter. Ask the questions. Look at the bands the venue usually has in. Ask the venue if you think you'll go down well.

A lot of musicians are lazy (as Blue says), they just want to play the music and not get involved in the marketing side.

Someone said, either upthread or on another thread, "there's loads of musicians better than Ed Sheerhan, he's just lucky he's got a decent marketing team" or words to that effect. It's not luck, he's working with his team, listening to them and talking to them to decide what works.

Anyone who thinks that they can just play good music and be successful isn't living in the real (modern) world.
[/quote]

70s hard rock and blues is what we primarily play along with original material. But we also do some fun novelty stuff. For example, " Them Changes" Buddy Miles and "These Boots Are Made For Walking" Nancy Sinatra, To Sir With Love " Lu Lu.

Our sweet spot is the over 60 crowd and they come out to see us and they're loyal.

Every once and a while there's a mix up usually a corporate party request and the crowd are folks in their 20s. It's always a disaster. They have absolutely no interest.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1501272666' post='3343804']

Another not great band I'm in did a party, we're not a party band but the drummer organised it so his work mates could see us, that was a tough gig![/quote]

Did he want to impress his work mates with the fact he was in a band?

Blue

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1501275577' post='3343823']

[/quote]

Function gigs don't really give you much opportunity to vet the gigs, if the person booking decides they like you and want to book you then that's it, you can't know what the demographic will be can you? Of course if your playing stuff you know will not go down well at weddings don't put yourself out there.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1501276653' post='3343837']

Did he want to impress his work mates with the fact he was in a band?

Blue
[/quote]

Yes, the gig was near where he worked, it went better than it could have but I think he realised that we are not a party band after, he's no longer our drummer either :D

Annoyingly I'm in another band that would have been perfect!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1501276942' post='3343840']

Yes, the gig was near where he worked, it went better than it could have but I think he realised that we are not a party band after, he's no longer our drummer either :D

Annoyingly I'm in another band that would have been perfect!
[/quote]

Same sort of thing has happened with us with weddings.

They'll be a couple getting married who are fans of the band and they want us to play.

We're always like, "are you sure, we're not a wedding band", " no don't worry it'll be fine"

It never is.

Blue

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1501276791' post='3343839']

Function gigs don't really give you much opportunity to vet the gigs, if the person booking decides they like you and want to book you then that's it, you can't know what the demographic will be can you? Of course if your playing stuff you know will not go down well at weddings don't put yourself out there.
[/quote]

Very true

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1501293870' post='3343890']
Same sort of thing has happened with us with weddings.

They'll be a couple getting married who are fans of the band and they want us to play.

We're always like, "are you sure, we're not a wedding band", " no don't worry it'll be fine"

It never is.

Blue
[/quote]

Yep we've had that too, same band but the audience were all musos and enjoyed it, we got well looked after by the bride and groom too :) Normally it would have been a disaster as you say, we've done parties for fans and they always bomb with that band.

I was in a Chicago Blues band and the brides father booked us after seeing us on a gig. I told the rest of the band we shouldn't be playing a wedding but they insisted we do it. The wedding party gathered in the car park smoking or the bar. We played to an empty room for the whole night!

I've seen a few bands fail to understand that audiences do not go to weddings. They are guests and that requires a totally different mind set.

the band I play in (punk covers mostly) did a wedding, my own daughters, she only asked because she knew we wouldn't charge her and much to everyone's surprise it went really well, mind you, we didn't go on till later and it was a free bar all day, I think that's the secret, everybody has got to be well oiled before the band starts, we've done 2 others, one was ok and the other one not so good, it's not something I'd like to do on a regular basis, the trouble with weddings is you've got such a wide age group there, it's impossible to keep everyone happy

A few years ago we played a big county fair and our stage was only a few feet away from a hip hop stage. Loud and they attracted thousands of kids.

We didn't have a chance.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1501324092' post='3344014']
the band I play in (punk covers mostly) did a wedding, my own daughters, she only asked because she knew we wouldn't charge her and much to everyone's surprise it went really well, mind you, we didn't go on till later and it was a free bar all day, I think that's the secret, everybody has got to be well oiled before the band starts, we've done 2 others, one was ok and the other one not so good, it's not something I'd like to do on a regular basis, the trouble with weddings is you've got such a wide age group there, it's impossible to keep everyone happy
[/quote]

I've seen footage of Verbal Warning and I know it to be the truth.

Ha. Seriously though, I liked the way your band engaged with the audience in the clips that I've seen. You couldn't do that at a wedding. That's a cracking little band you have there. Not too precious about suffering for their art by being note perfect every time yet delivering a passionate performance always. That's what the "punters" remember afterwards even if they do notice the odd departure from score during the event.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1501334005' post='3344086']
I've seen footage of Verbal Warning and I know it to be the truth.

Ha. Seriously though, I liked the way your band engaged with the audience in the clips that I've seen. You couldn't do that at a wedding. That's a cracking little band you have there. Not too precious about suffering for their art by being note perfect every time yet delivering a passionate performance always. That's what the "punters" remember afterwards even if they do notice the odd departure from score during the event.
[/quote]well thank you sir, I think you summed us up well, make up with enthusiasm what we lack in natural ability :lol:

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1501276354' post='3343833']
70s hard rock and blues is what we primarily play along with original material. But we also do some fun novelty stuff. For example, " Them Changes" Buddy Miles and "These Boots Are Made For Walking" Nancy Sinatra, To Sir With Love " Lu Lu.

Our sweet spot is the over 60 crowd and they come out to see us and they're loyal.

Every once and a while there's a mix up usually a corporate party request and the crowd are folks in their 20s. It's always a disaster. They have absolutely no interest.

Blue
[/quote]

/\ This. You can not always know what audience will turn up, no matter how pro you are.

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1501353191' post='3344247']

/\ This. You can not always know what audience will turn up, no matter how pro you are.
[/quote]

That's beside the point. I agree it happens once in a while but there are things you can do to avoid it happening.

If it's happening regularly then it's not the audience.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1501357344' post='3344270']
That's beside the point. I agree it happens once in a while but there are things you can do to avoid it happening.

[/quote]

Check out the posts above, it happens to even the best of us and the most experienced and well rehearsed bands. No one is saying it happens on a regular basis. The point being it is not always a indication of sloppy or ill prepared musicians if the audience walks.

Edited by mikel

There are at least three examples where the band has done the gig against their better judgement and the result has been as expected.

I know at least three band leaders who ask some very detailed questions before agreeing to do weddings.

Where is the bar? If there is a large room with a bar adjoing the dance room, then it's a no no.
What age group are they playing to?
If it's a summer wedding at a hotel with a large seating area outside, can the band set up in a marquee? I've played at a couple of weddings where the band have been playing to a hot sweaty empty room with the doors closed due to noise limitations, while everyone else is outside.

These are all things that can be avoided and are part of the musicians armoury and control.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1501357344' post='3344270']

[/quote]

There's a lot of miss match gig stuff that can happen. You can go into a packed bar and say it's a new venue for the band and turns out it's just not a music crowd.

Blue

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1501359888' post='3344286']
There are at least three examples where the band has done the gig against their better judgement and the result has been as expected.

I know at least three band leaders who ask some very detailed questions before agreeing to do weddings.

Where is the bar? If there is a large room with a bar adjoing the dance room, then it's a no no.
What age group are they playing to?
If it's a summer wedding at a hotel with a large seating area outside, can the band set up in a marquee? I've played at a couple of weddings where the band have been playing to a hot sweaty empty room with the doors closed due to noise limitations, while everyone else is outside.

These are all things that can be avoided and are part of the musicians armoury and control.
[/quote]

All good points. The real killer is putting the band in a room with no bar.

Blue

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1501358363' post='3344277']

Check out the posts above, it happens to even the best of us and the most experienced and well rehearsed bands. No one is saying it happens on a regular basis. The point being it is not always a indication of sloppy or ill prepared musicians if the audience walks.
[/quote]

Agreed,

We occasionally end up booked somewhere we shouldn't. Again there are crowds that are not into bands.

Blue

My first gig back as frontman recently was in a pub with a huge garden and no A/C on one of the hottest days of the year.

Played to about four people in the pub, but looking out of the window the garden was packed. Struggled through and much to my surprise we had compliments galore from people coming in to order drinks. Weird but in a strange way not so bad.

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1501405025' post='3344430']
My first gig back as frontman recently was in a pub with a huge garden and no A/C on one of the hottest days of the year.

Played to about four people in the pub, but looking out of the window the garden was packed. Struggled through and much to my surprise we had compliments galore from people coming in to order drinks. Weird but in a strange way not so bad.
[/quote]we've had that, a pub with an L shaped room, thought there was hardly anybody listening to us, after the last song a massive shout for an encore and all these people appeared from round the corner, some punters enjoy listening to what you're playing but still want to chat with there mates, fact of life