Why become a member? ×

Which Fuzz help?

walshy

So I'm struggling to find a fuzz that I like. Play mainly in a RHCP tribute band so I have tried to live with Boss OBD-3, Malekko Bassmaster and Darkglass B3K but none of these float my boat! Any recommendations or pointing in right direction appreciated. Not after a metal sounds, just some nice grit!

Play a Modulus bass through a GK 2001Rb with Barefaced Big Twin, also have a dark glass 900 but still not right on either fuzz setting, hence it is for sale!

Any help/sound demo appreciated.

Ta

Paul

Yeah, I associate grit with overdrive too. Also the fact you reference fuzz settings on the Darkglass amp probably means you are looking for overdrive. Overdrive/Distortion/Fuzz are pretty much just different degrees of the same thing, but overdrive sounding more like a cranked amp, and fuzz being waaay beyond that. Maybe post some sound clips of the kind of tone you're going for?

If it is more traditional Ampeg style tube drive you seek, check out the Tech21 VT Bass (or VT500 amp) on Youtube perhaps?

Edited by dannybuoy

The cog sounds pretty good.. I know 'fuzz' is pretty much a bit of a generic term but I mean a bit of dirt/grit of an overdrive, not thrash overdrive/distortion. Maybe a sound clip would work.

Edited by walshy

What sort of sound. RHCP Around The World intro tone? There are some RHCP rig rundowns on Premier Guitar's you tube channel. If you're specifically after Flea's tone for your band that would be my first port of call. Good luck.

Yeah I know what he uses, and have tried them with different configurations but its not right or I dont like it. He favours the Bassmaster and i have had two, just to make sure it wasn't right and it wasnt!

Edited by walshy

Rhcp is a tricky fuzz he uses the odb but your playing obviously doesn't work with it, I'd say try and find something that when pushed goes into fuzz but mainly stays in distortion territory.

Cog is a good place to start, also Lateral sound there spore is super versatile or the Chowny Fuzzster is really cool but more towards fuzz.

• 3 weeks later...

I've just rented some pedals from fxpedal rentals and it was a great way to decide which out of a couple of filters I was after and I know they have a load of Fuzz pedals too. Turns out filters aren't for me but it was great to have them in my hands, in the practice room playing them into my own rig. I'm amazed how little I sounded like the demo's on you tube!!

Edited by krispn