Why become a member? ×

Soundcloud's demise is apparently imminent.

ambient

Quite sad really, I'm reading a lot on Facebook that they're about to close.

Just a warning to anyone, who like me has a subscription with them. Mine was due to renew this coming weekend, I've now cancelled it, and I'll use the money for a pro subscription to Bandcamp, which actually gives more anyway, videos and stuff.

Still sad though, I use Soundcloud a lot, I've currently got 710 tracks on there.

Guest Jecklin

I stopped using SoundCloud altogether when they got rid of sharing music into groups.

Not long after that they had an exponential increase of fake and bot accounts.

I also hated the newer phone browser based player and found the app' version not so great either.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1500055744' post='3335427']
That's what happens when your business plan relies on not having to pay performance royalties to your content creators.
[/quote]

Agreed. There's going to come a point where internet businesses realise that the people who keep them running need to be rewarded with more than just likes and followers, especially when those likes come from people that get bombarded by adverts every 10 minutes. These businesses operate on the same model as the "we can't pay you but you'll get great exposure" clan. It may work for a select few, but it's just exploitation for almost everyone else. The whole internet success thing needs a big re-think, it's all pretty sketchy at the moment.

[quote name='Jecklin' timestamp='1500061046' post='3335457']
I stopped using SoundCloud altogether when they got rid of sharing music into groups.

Not long after that they had an exponential increase of fake and bot accounts.

I also hated the newer phone browser based player and found the app' version not so great either.
[/quote]

The app was awful, my car could have designed a better one.

There was a reached agreement with PRS, but I am not sure if it was successful, or indeed honoured in any way.
I suppose it will all come out in the wash.
https://www.prsformusic.com/press/2015/prs-for-music-and-soundcloud-reach-a-multi-territory-licensing-agreement-ending-legal-proceedings

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1500066889' post='3335492']
There was a reached agreement with PRS, but I am not sure if it was successful, or indeed honoured in any way.
I suppose it will all come out in the wash.
[url="https://www.prsformusic.com/press/2015/prs-for-music-and-soundcloud-reach-a-multi-territory-licensing-agreement-ending-legal-proceedings"]https://www.prsformu...gal-proceedings[/url]
[/quote]

Which is what I implied in my original post. Soundcloud only just worked financially when they didn't have to pay royalties for their content. Now that they do the books no longer balance.

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1500061798' post='3335466']

Agreed. There's going to come a point where internet businesses realise that the people who keep them running need to be rewarded with more than just likes and followers, especially when those likes come from people that get bombarded by adverts every 10 minutes. These businesses operate on the same model as the "we can't pay you but you'll get great exposure" clan. It may work for a select few, but it's just exploitation for almost everyone else. The whole internet success thing needs a big re-think, it's all pretty sketchy at the moment.
[/quote]

The thing is, the most expensive part of media, is the content creation. So while the user is also the creator (prosumer), social media can grow very large, only requiring small amounts of financial input.

The likes of Facebook and Soundcloud are only going to suffer when they are forced to police the content the users produce more rigidly. However the same users are being used to police the content that other users are providing.

It's a very interesting and obviously a very new concept.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1500125718' post='3335781']
As curiosity, what is YouTube doing that others aren't?
[/quote]

It has an absolutely massive reach and huge advertising clout that Soundcloud could not even dream of. However, even Youtube has issues with disappointing returns on advertising investment. I feel as though the internet is absolutely saturated with sh*t adverts.

Music hosting biz SoundCloud, having just axed 40 per cent of its staff, is now trying to ward off rumors that it will go broke in less than two months.

The song-sharing service was rumored to be in crisis mode and had to shut its doors, with just 50 days of funding left before it ran out of cash. A spokesperson insisted Thursday, however, that this is not the case, and that following last week's layoffs, SoundCloud is going to be able to turn a profit soon.

"To clarify, SoundCloud is fully funded into the fourth quarter," the spokesperson told El Reg. "We continue to be confident the changes made last week put us on our path to profitability and ensure SoundCloud's long-term viability."

From; https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/07/13/soundcloud_insists_not_dying/

I'm in the "couldn't give a flying fish about SoundCloud" club.

I handed over £££ as a paid up subscriber over a couple of years', only to be ranked lower than Free accounts - by their DiscoRank algorithm.

Record labels and distributors have used SoundCloud as a free host, and flooded it with millions of 'hits' (nope ~ not those kind of hits) from their links on external sites.

A shame. As an independent (unsigned), I would have stumped up more than the 2 quid a month subscription IF they were able to offer some exposure parity with the huge labels.

N.B. 'C' (in the diagram below) is what is otherwise known as [s]parklife[/s] 'Hype' – via [u]external[/u] inbound links from social media platforms like: - Twitter, Face***k, Google + etc

Edited by SimonEdward

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1500241839' post='3336479']
There are a couple of things I really value on there, which are not available anywhere else AFAIK. Is there any way of downloading them, legally?
[/quote]

If you tell me which ones of mine those are, I'll send 'em to you. ;)

:lol:

[quote name='adamg67' timestamp='1500241627' post='3336472']
In the diagram, what's C? I don't care, but I still have to know.
[/quote]

My understanding is that 'C' is what is otherwise known as [s]parklife[/s] 'Hype' – via [u]external[/u] inbound links from social media platforms like: - Twitter, Face***k, Google + etc

Edited by SimonEdward