Why become a member? ×

Small Pre-Amp for Home Practice

AndrewR

I'm looking for a small pre-amp for home practice. I want to be as quiet as possible so I'm looking for a unit with headphone output, and an Aux input for connecting an IPod for playing along to.
Any suggestions? I've been looking at the Ampeg SCR-DI Bass Pre-Amp and Overdrive, as it seems to provide all that I need, and as I have an Ampeg BA-210, the controls are very familiar.
It might be a bit OTT for what I want though. The cost at around £190 is quite high but if it does the job, I'm not too worried about that.
Anyway, any suggestions for alternatives.
Feedback much appreciated.

I use a PJB BigHead. Battery powered and charges from USB, and is about the size of a fag packet. Sounds great, ultra clean with a 2-band EQ, zero noise even with the volume up really high, and can drive high impedance cans that some lesser headphone amps struggle with. It also serves as a USB audio interface for recording into a laptop, or playing back music over USB instead of the regular aux in for a better sound (the converters inside are much better than those in your average laptop or phone).

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1500049496' post='3335393']
Slight curveball but what about a zoom b3? You can use as an amp emulator and have the other effects as well.
[/quote]

No aux input on this btw, unlike the cheaper B1on, but you might be able to play back via USB? But the biggest downside for me with all the Zoom units is weak headphone output. However my cans are 80ohms which is above average, they will probably drive lower impedance ones just fine.

After much consideration, I have gone for the PJB Big Head. Looking at the feedback from numerous sites and reviews and the comments that you guys have made, it seems to be a really great piece of kit, and does just what I want. Look forward to trying it out.
Thanks again guys for all of your helpful and constructive comments - much appreciated 😊

Just received the PJB Bighead, and what a wonderful piece of well made, quality kit it is. Incredible sound quality, my Epiphone JC bass sounds fantastic! Simple to use and so portable. I can now practice anywhere with just my bass, the Bighead, a pair of headphones and an iPod.
Recommend this to anybody who wants a headphone amp for practice whet it's not convenient to use your bass amp.
Top pice of equipment - very pleased with it😊

I'd struggled with sound level/quality and noise issues from various other headphone amps until I got mine, can't fault it really! Battery lasts a long time and when it goes dead I just plug it into my laptop to charge up - it can still be used when charging and doesn't suffer any additional noise as a result. Top tip is to attach some rubber feet to stop it sliding about on a desk! Not sure if it comes with some in the box but mine didn't, you can get them from eBay or Amazon for peanuts.