Why become a member? ×

So what is the best Aria SB pickup replacement...

TrevorR

So yesterday my lovely SB700 just didn't work... of course I need to give it a good going over with a multimeter. But I guess it looks like I'm going to be in the market for a replacement MBII pickup. So from a bit of googling and research it seems that there are three choices... Kent Armstrong, the guys from Finland and Reed James NEO Aria-replacements (though it sounds like the latter may have quite a lead time!).

I just wondered if anyone has tried any of the above and what you thought of them? They all seem to go for about the same price. Currently I'm veering towards Kent Armstrong with Rautia in second position. However, I've no reason for that other than KA are in England so may be a wee bit easier. Grateful for any thoughts. Which might be "best", more authentic, beefier sounding... whatever. It will all help the decision...

Edited by TrevorR

I've got one of Aaron Armstrong's pickups in my SB Elite.
As far as I remember, when I was looking, Rautia is a direct copy of the originals.
Aaron can make you a direct copy, or a beefier version.

I just went for a direct copy and it's a great sounding pickup.

There wasn't really any significant difference in cost. Both were around £110 last year.

Rautia Guitars do the most accurate reproduction. Got one in my SB-1000

Edit: Kent don't do a reproduction. They fit either a standard soapbar or humbucker (can't remember which now) into a MB1 style cover

Edit 2: If you need a replacement "black box" pre-amp then Prostheta makes excellent reproductions - either with original 80s chips or modern equivalents that are a bit less power hungry. He doesn't visit BC often but I can give him a shout if you need one (and will probably give you a discount on his ebay price for BC members)

Edited by Norris

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1500682297' post='3339643']
Is there a reason the pickup can't be re wound? Should be possible as long as they aren't epoxy potted.
[/quote]

It's pretty much a sealed unit... a lot of the SB pickups were...

Would be interested to see some photos. The pups on my Aria Super Bass looked sealed but it was just a metal plate glued in place which was removed with a little care. Underneath were two jazz coils and i was able to extract them to effect a repair.