Why become a member? ×

First amp and cab choice

clunkie66

I'm looking around for my first amp and cab, and would appreciate some assistance.

I've been playing for a year and would class myself as an improving beginner. I'm in the slightly strange position of having been asked to play in a 50s + 60s rock 'n' roll band at the end of the summer as their bass player is moving away. Set list is covers and some originals - Chuck Berry, Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash, Mavericks etc etc.

So I'm looking for a set-up that would pretty much cover most venues that I'm likely to play, plus a bit of future proofing. Am thinking either:
• Ampeg PF-500 or
• TC Electronic BH500

Paired with a 210 or 212 cab, with another added if necessary. Does that sound like a sensible place to start? I have a budget of £600 give or take.

Any opinions or suggestions welcomed.

Cheers!

You don't mention the all-important (well, for gigging, anyway) PA situation, but I'd say in very general terms a 50s/60s rock n roll band in pubs and smaller venues should be doable even without PA support with any one of lots and lots of heads like you've mentioned and a 212. For bigger venues you'd want to be looking at going into the PA as well (my rule of thumb is if there's more than just the kick going into the PA, then I'll go in, too), but then you're not buying that :)

If you are prepared to buy on the used market, your budget will go a lot further.... have a look here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/forum/20-amps-and-cabs-for-sale/"]http://basschat.co.u...-cabs-for-sale/[/url]

For example: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/308810-tc-electronic-rig-for-sale-rh450-and-k210/

Edited by Conan

You will get more for your money buying used but obviously be careful what you buy as I've been conned a few times buying used gear that's turned out to be faulty. At least with new you get at least a 12 month warranty and very often longer.

Hartke gear is relatively cheap and has good reputation. If you arent bothered about small class D amps the Hartke LH500 is a very good head and going for £250 new. Paired with an 8ohm 210 or 212 cab will be plenty loud enough for most gigs and you can add another 8ohm cab to get the most out of the amp if needed. Very simple to use too.

Edited by bonzodog

£600 should get you a 2nd hand Markbass AC 121 Lite. 500W gives ample head room, just 36lbs means it's easy to transport. Nice EQ & DI out options. One of the best gigging combos on the market today (and seems to be VERY well regarded by my fellow BC'ers who have one). And for good measure it works very well in the 50s and 60s rock n roll band I play in :) If you manage to get your hands on one, you won't regret it.

You really have to try some stuff and not buy on recommendation. What suits us may not suit you. You can always visit a well stocked shop or two, get an idea of what you like and then look for it used if the budget is tight.

Edited by Dan Dare

Whenever I`ve ended up with gear that I`ve kept for a good while it`s usually through either using it as provided rigs for a while - Ashdown - or through hearing plenty of other bassists use it - Markbass - and liking it in a band setting.

[quote name='clunkie66' timestamp='1500301673' post='3336768']
Thanks - one of my (many) questions is it a good bet to buy used, in terms of durability?
[/quote]

If you buy from Basschat, and from members with lots of good positive feedback, you should be fine :)

Having played mostly a mixture of rock 'n' roll and country for the last 15yrs, I think you are definitely along the right lines. Personally I favour Ampeg but those TC Electronic heads get great reviews too. Some would say a 1x15 cab would be more period correct but I like the punchiness of a few 10" speakers too. You can play any style with any gear but from what you suggest, you'd have a decent rig.

• 2 weeks later...

You cant go wrong with any of the great suggestions mentioned in this post... I would most certainly recommend trying a few out. I have had a few over the years (teamed with both P & J's) and have settled on an Ampeg PF500 :)