Why become a member? ×

Ampeg BA500 Combo £250
£250

For sale my trusty Ampeg BA500 bass combo. 350 watts @ 4 ohms, 500 watts with an extension cab (not included). 2 x 10" drivers plus an adjustable tweeter.

I've been gigging regularly with this amp for many years and it has never let me down. It's been an absolute workhorse. It's rare that you find so many good aspects in a combo - sounds amazing, holds its own against the valve amps whilst being much more reliable. It's versatile with the extra range afforded by the tweeter, and loud enough for most applications.

I personally like an aggressive bass sound, and this amp is perfect for that sort of thing just because you can access very high frequency percussive aspects of your playing (if that's what you like). If you drive the amp it produces a gravelly rocky tone that is very reminiscent of an SVT. It also has a defeatable limiter. It has full EQ controls and an optional graphic equaliser so if rock's not your thing you can experiment to your hearts content and turn the tweeter off completely for a more vintage sound.

The main downside, and reason for sale, is that it is on the heavy side compared to the new cabinets that are coming out. It's quite bulky too (although more compact than a 4x10 or 8x10 cabinet)! I've since switched to a lighter Markbass 2x10 and head.

The amp itself is functional. DISCLAIMER: it probably needs a service. It has been lugged about for a long time in and out of vans, venues, etc. The only issue to my mind is that the balanced line out XLR output has been dodgy for pretty much as long as I can remember. We've got around this by using the standard jack line out and blending it with a DI signal. If you wanted to capture the sound properly you should probably just mic it up.

Additionally the master volume pot spline has snapped off but I should think it will be easy to replace. You can still control it by twisting the remnant of the spline.

When I bought the amp it had some removable casters which weren't really up to the job so I replaced them with heavier duty permanent ones which make it easier to move around. Some of these have been replaced more than once, hence the wonky appearance. They work fine, but again ideally need a bit of attention.

The amp is quite top-heavy and has quite a high centre of gravity (which may be why Ampeg ultimately discontinued it?). You can rock it back into "monitor mode" if that's what you're after. In c. 10 years it has never toppled over or anything like that. We've actually stacked other combos on top of it without any mishaps.

There are some cosmetic issues with the tolex. It's "road worn".

The amp is stored near Malton, North Yorkshire. Local collection would probably be most sensible but I can look into having it couriered somewhere at the buyer's expense. It weighs 43kgs if you want to get a quote.

If there's anything I've missed feel free to ask.

• 5 months later...