Why become a member? ×

Shimmery Reverbs

radiophonic

I'm considering a reverb pedal to add in series with my flashback delay. I currently use delay for volume pedal swells and I think that adding a shimmer will take things to another level, particularly when harmonising with the vocal line. I've previously owned a Boss RV6 but I didn't like the sound of any of the non-shimmer sounds. Very clinical and especially with guitar (when A/B's with the spring on my Fender Deluxe) not at all realistic. The upside of course was that it could take an expression pedal, so one of these + a volume / expression could be quite a powerful combination. I'm quite a fan of the TC flashback - particularly the tape delay setting - and the new Hall of Fame 2 does have a shimmer setting. It also seems to have a sort of low rent expression option (MASH). This would offer a slightly different functionality - standard vol pedal swells plus possibly boosting the shimmer at the same time, via some tap dancing. What might my other options be at a similar price point? For example, is it possible to hack a shimmer effect using a standard reverb and some sort of octaver?

I guess a reverb with an fx loop would let you place an octave in between but depends if the loop effects the dry signal or effected.
From memory I think meris and walrus do a reverb with an octave up shimmer. Also the eventides may do this.
The new endangered audio research delay has an effects loop but this will be a while off being available.

I've owned quite a few reverbs and delays which have shimmer, the Strymon BlueSky has a great shimmer but requires a fair bit of taming. At a more realistic price point there is the Neunaber Seraphim shimmer which was probably the best tracking shimmer I've had, which also has plenty of options via the editing software. Currently I have a EHX Canyon delay which has a shimmer mode, which to me is really quite good and blends perfectly with my Strymon Flint reverb for massive ambient washes.

Edited by Josh

The new TC Hall of Fame 2 has a shimmer setting using some of the octave up algorithms from the Sub n Up. Check out this demo from around 6:10 onwards - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YdoVPpkm1k8

Shows the MASH switch controlling the shimmer intensity in real time.

Edited by CameronJ

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1500450282' post='3337773']
I haven't checked out the Canyon or HOF2 yet, but prefer the tone of the Neunaber stuff over Strymon and others I've heard!
[/quote]

Here's a great video of the Canyons shimmer:

[youtube]Http://youtu.be/d-HqCpGigR8[/youtube]

The Canyon also has secondary functions in which you edit the amount of the shimmer as well as the low and high octaves. The Canyon is probably one of my favourite pedals I've ever had, I find all of the presets musical one way or another and can sit and play with for ages.

I haven't tried one, but I think the mash function could be a really inspiring feature. Just flipped my regular HOF in favour of a Keeley super mod workstation (it's there for function gigs) but it was a close call. It really is a great sounding pedal.

Thanks for the suggestions - the Canyon looks very handy. Also, it would give me a second delay rather than just adding reverb shimmer to an existing delay. Having 2 loopers and 2 delays in separate pedals could get interesting (looping delayed signals for example). Tempting.

[quote name='GazWills' timestamp='1500404907' post='3337544']
Mr. Black Eterna would be a good shout. Used to have one, lovely shimmer on it, and lush reverb without it. huge decay...
[/quote]

This is what I use, it can be a little over the top on extreme settings though.