Why become a member? ×

Budget 6 string with standard spacing?

Dazed

I'm (again) considering picking up 6 string bass.
I don't know why I have no real reason or logic and yet it keeps nagging at me that it will complete my life! Pah!

So in an ideal world it would be headless with a minimalist body - I'd like it to be fairly lightweight, 34" scale, twin pickup, probably active, definitely 18-19mm bridge spacing.
I've tried and can't adjust to anything less than 18.

As its a trial into these big beasts, what's out there in the sub £1000 category ( ideally a lot less than that ) I'm realistic so scale and spacing are the main criteria here. Also good with second hand.

Recommend away BC hive mind :lol:

The Yamaha TRB JP1 (Patitucci's signature model) comes to mind - though probably a push to find one sub £1k. The JP1 has 34" if memory serves me right - they increased it to 35" for the updated JP2.

(obviously, not headless or minimalist body, but if it sounds/plays anything like the TRB5's I've tried, it should be a great instrument :)

Happy hunting!

Edited by kumimajava

I recentely had the same itch. There are a few real nice 6 strings on gumtree and these here woods.

I just bought an ibanez gsr206b-wnf. Its a real budget instrument, think they go for around 300quid new (i paid half that second hand). Plays nice, sounds good. Not my prettiest bass, but i didn't need it for a band, just to see if i got on with six strings (hint- i really really do!) So im glad i went for a cheap one, though i cant help think now that i wish i had spent more (classic hey?).

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1500456021' post='3337838']
There's a used one currently at Bass direct that looks nice.
[/quote]

If memory serves me right, most of the Ibanez 6-strings tend to be either 35-inch scale, or around 17mm string pacing (or both) :( Maybe they've changed the specs more recently - in which case, a great option for sure :)

My first 6 string was bought here: a Yamaha TRB6II. It cost me £500 or so and has been my gateway into playing 6. I'm currently playing a TRB6PII which would be slightly over your budget secondhand, but a very similar bass to the original 6.

The TRB6II is 19mm spacing but 35" scale. However, for me the scale makes a difference to the B string definition, and worth the tiny amount of extra stretch required!

I think it's worth hunting for one! Otherwise Ibanez do seem to offer some compelling looking basses at great prices...

Edited by TJ Spicer

I switch between 34 ins 4 string and a 35in 5 string fretless and quite honestly don't notice the difference. I am pretty certain that all the Yamahas quoted will not be lightweight. You could try the Spectors, they tend to be lightweight and the Korean made Legend will probably be within your budget. The quality on my Korean is as good as my Euro, possibly even better!

Edited by Grahambythesea

[quote name='King Tut' timestamp='1500530739' post='3338423']
I used to have a Hohner B Bass 6 which was pretty incredible for the money. If you see one used it'd deffo be worth a punt.
[/quote]

Totally endorse this! I've had two. Lovely wood, great playing basses, small, light-ish and you needn't pay over £250 for one. Why I sold mine I have no idea!

Thanks for all the input. The most important aspect is the spacing for me, I've had a couple of 35" before and although I wouldn't choose that length it is usable.
I've been checking out various specs online but not all list the spacing. No rush so I'll keep looking.

[quote name='Dazed' timestamp='1500749576' post='3339996']
Thanks for all the input. The most important aspect is the spacing for me, I've had a couple of 35" before and although I wouldn't choose that length it is usable.
I've been checking out various specs online but not all list the spacing. No rush so I'll keep looking.
[/quote]

If the 35" scale is acceptable, then you can also include the original Yamaha TRB-6 and TRB-6p to your list (the series II perhaps also)- those should be 19mm at the bridge. The newer one (TRB-1006) went down all the way to 17mm :(

I got bullied into playing a 6 string Shine bass at a rather packed jam night recently. Which was terrifying as I'd never played one before.

It was pretty decent tbf, neck wasn't insanely wide, spacing seemed normal ish, heavy though.

Shine are at the budget end no ?

I couldn't fault it at all other than having too many strings ;-)

• 1 month later...