Why become a member? ×

Paul Stevens Guitars - Lutherie/repairs/setups in East Sussex

philw

This may look like just another excuse to post a picture of my Surf Jag, but actually I wanted to give a shout-out to Paul Stevens.

[url="http://paulstevensguitars.wixsite.com/paulstevensguitars"]http://paulstevensgu...lstevensguitars[/url]

Paul did a bit of work on the Surf Jag recently ('cause when I put it together I rushed and really didn't finish the job properly) and it's gone from a bass I was really chuffed with to one that's now completely fabulous.

Paul shielded the control cavity and re-made my dodgy soldering, re-set the neck with a thin hardwood wedge to adjust its angle, reset the pickups on the right kind of foam and did a really classy setup.

He's a lovely guy too and I can't recommend him highly enough if you're after this kind of thing in East Sussex.

Here's the Surf Jag picture:
[attachment=249383:Green Bass hi-res.jpg]

Edited by philw

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1500841847' post='3340575']
Hey Phil

I know it's the not the most unusual name in the world but is this the Paul Stevens who was CEO at Trace Elliot and now Blackstar?
[/quote]

Seems not:

[color=#605E5E][font=din-next-w01-light, din-next-w02-light, din-next-w10-light, sans-serif][size=4]Paul learned guitar-making at Guildhall University, London back in the 90's. He now has his own workshop on Pevensey Rd, Eastbourne where he spends most of his time making bespoke electric and acoustic guitars. Pauls custom guitars are made from top quality materials, premium hardware and the best electronic components. Most are based on classic designs but he does have plans for some more original rock machines.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#605E5E][font=din-next-w01-light, din-next-w02-light, din-next-w10-light, sans-serif][size=4]For the last 15 years He has worked as a guitar repairer, in the Gibson Artist Relations Office London, Hanks Denmark Street, Wembley Guitar Centre, Bonners Music Shop and his own clients include Stereophonics, Idlewild and Tokyo Dragons. He has also worked as a guitar tech for the likes of Daniel Bedingfield, One Hundred Hours, and the West End show We Will Rock You. He now does repairs from his workshop in Eastbourne.[/size][/font][/color]

Useful info Phil - that's a pretty heavyweight cv! Shame he's not a bit nearer to me; my local luthier was a 20-minute drive up the road but tragically passed away last year. Suppose I could always persuade Mrs Scrumpy that we need a holiday in Brighton :) . What are his charges like for fettling/set-up work?