Why become a member? ×

GK MB 212 combo with V string

Guest subaudio

Guest subaudio

Hi, I'm looking into loud, lightweight combos and like the look of the MB 212, I'm not near any shops so was wondering how these combos handle the low B on an active V string?
Cheers.

I haven't played through this specific combo but have lifted the 210 version in a shop and it was pretty damn light. Can't comment on what it sounded like but any half decent 2x12 combo or cab should handle the low B at decent volume without complaint. I guess it boils down to whether you like the "GK sound"? If so then I imagine you can't go too far wrong here.

For the price you'll pay for a new one though you could bag yourself a deal on a good quality used amp stack here or on various Facebook marketplace groups. That may require patience.

Guest subaudio

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1500455821' post='3337834']
I haven't played through this specific combo but have lifted the 210 version in a shop and it was pretty damn light. Can't comment on what it sounded like but any half decent 2x12 combo or cab should handle the low B at decent volume without complaint. I guess it boils down to whether you like the "GK sound"? If so then I imagine you can't go too far wrong here.

For the price you'll pay for a new one though you could bag yourself a deal on a good quality used amp stack here or on various Facebook marketplace groups. That may require patience.
[/quote]

Nice one, thanks for that, yes, I am a GK fan, had a 700rb and 1001rb and the tiny double bass combo, the mb150.

Love the sound, especially the low mid control but haven't tried the new class d stuff.

On a slightly different note, why are the, although awesome, GK mb150 combos so expensive relative to the new stuff? :)

I also love Gen Benz but during my 4 year sabbatical as a drummer they went bust while I wasn't looking :)

I have patience as I've got to sell all my drum gear to fund new bass and combo :)

Edited by subaudio

Guest subaudio

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1500456453' post='3337844']
You might have read these already but in case you haven't:

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/gk-combo-shootout-mb210-vs-mb212.650362/

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/gallien-krueger-mb212-ii-report.968217/
[/quote]
Nice one, thanks, will check them out :)

[quote name='subaudio' timestamp='1500456813' post='3337848']

Nice one, thanks for that, yes, I am a GK fan, had a 700rb and 1001rb and the tiny double bass combo, the mb150.

Love the sound, especially the low mid control but haven't tried the new class d stuff.

On a slightly different note, why are the, although awesome, GK mb150 combos so expensive relative to the new stuff? :)

I also love Gen Benz but during my 4 year sabbatical as a drummer they went bust while I wasn't looking :)

I have patience as I've got to sell all my drum gear to fund new bass and combo :)
[/quote]

From what I hear, the GK class D stuff is well respected and seems to be solid. Re: Genz Benz, fear not. Their spirit continues in the form of Genzler amplification. Give them a search. Genz Benz stuff often pops up for sale here though so if you like the sound it'll be a cheaper option than the new stuff.

Guest subaudio

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1500508964' post='3338399']

From what I hear, the GK class D stuff is well respected and seems to be solid. Re: Genz Benz, fear not. Their spirit continues in the form of Genzler amplification. Give them a search. Genz Benz stuff often pops up for sale here though so if you like the sound it'll be a cheaper option than the new stuff.
[/quote]

Thanks Cameron, that's great news about Genzler, I'll check them out.

One thought that puts me off the GK 212 combo is that there is no speaker input so should the amp fail at a gig you cant use a back up amp, the whole thing stops working.

[quote name='subaudio' timestamp='1500456813' post='3337848']
[/quote]

Genz didn't go bust, they were bought by Fender who subsequently buried the brand. There is a suspicion that this was not before the GB technology was applied to the new Fender Rumble range, so that might be an avenue to persue. They are well reviewed and respectsd on here.

Guest subaudio

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1500548691' post='3338602']

Genz didn't go bust, they were bought by Fender who subsequently buried the brand. There is a suspicion that this was not before the GB technology was applied to the new Fender Rumble range, so that might be an avenue to persue. They are well reviewed and respectsd on here.
[/quote]

I heard that about Fender and the Rumble gear, I'll check them out but had a 15" BLX combo in the past and it put me off Fender, sure the Rumble is a very different beast though

If you're at all considering going down the separate head/cab route, there are a couple of Genz Benz heads for sale in the classifieds here at the moment for decent prices ;)

I have zero affiliation with either of the sellers BTW, despite one of them having an alarmingly similar name to me! :lol:

Guest subaudio

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1500634293' post='3339236']
If you're at all considering going down the separate head/cab route, there are a couple of Genz Benz heads for sale in the classifieds here at the moment for decent prices ;)

I have zero affiliation with either of the sellers BTW, despite one of them having an alarmingly similar name to me! :lol:
[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up Cameron but I'm in research mode till I can sell my drum gear and start buying bass gear :)

[quote name='subaudio' timestamp='1500401111' post='3337509']
Hi, I'm looking into loud, lightweight combos and like the look of the MB 212, I'm not near any shops so was wondering how these combos handle the low B on an active V string?
Cheers.
[/quote]
I don't play a 5 but I do use a GK 212 combo and love it - amazingly lightweight and tons of volume - you'd have to try it to be totally sure but I can't imagine it struggling.

Guest subaudio

[quote name='John_P' timestamp='1500680899' post='3339639']

I don't play a 5 but I do use a GK 212 combo and love it - amazingly lightweight and tons of volume - you'd have to try it to be totally sure but I can't imagine it struggling.
[/quote]

Thanks mate, I'm sure it would be fine looking at the specs, it looks a formidable beast :)

Edited by subaudio