Why become a member? ×

Changed my strings and...........

Lozz196

So changed my regular Roto Steels for a set of Elixir Nanoweb Steels, which I got as part of my subscription to Bass Guitar Mag. Love Rotos, but they give me about 4 maybe 5 gigs then have to change them, so was hoping I`d get longer life from the Elixirs, and have to maybe re-eq a bit.

Nah - couldn`t get on with them. If I were doing anything but what I`m currently doing music-wise they`d be fine, but the aggression and punch had left the building - and for those who say this comes from your hands, well checking out my playing style would see that there`s enough aggression there already. It was just the strings, Rotos seem to have an upper-mid punch that I can`t get anywhere else (Elixirs, D`Addario, DRs, Fenders, Dean Markleys so far).

Luckily I always have supply of Rotos to hand, so the swap back will take place this eve, was just hoping to get a bit longer life from a set of strings for our tour coming up. Looks like Fast-Fret to the Rotos after each gig then. Bah!

I am the same with Elixirs - every now and again i have another go at them because i usually change strings after about 4 gigs (when the zing begins to fade) and i keep thinking i can save some money in the long run.

And every time i take them off after a few days because they sound like 5 gig old strings from new........

The only strings that really seemed to last noticeably longer were Daddario NYXL's. I was surprised to find that i really liked them and actually got about 8 gigs out of a set. They sounded like 2 gig old strings and pretty much stayed like that.

And i second the Super Bright recommendations - they're my 'go to' string now

Yep, gonna stick with my beloved Rotos. I suppose one saving grace on the fact that they die quickly is that they are pretty much the cheapest strings around, so one set a month isn`t killing me financially.

And having just bought yet another Precision today I`m gonna try a set of Roto flats out as well. Not for gigging, just at home use when I want something mellower than clanky-punk.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1501006539' post='3341751']
Yep, gonna stick with my beloved Rotos. I suppose one saving grace on the fact that they die quickly is that they are pretty much the cheapest strings around, so one set a month isn`t killing me financially.

And having just bought yet another Precision today I`m gonna try a set of Roto flats out as well. Not for gigging, just at home use when I want something mellower than clanky-punk.
[/quote]
Congrats on the new bass Lozz.
Those roto flats are tough bit's of wire, if you like extream tension you are set :)