Why become a member? ×

Which compact heads have 2 input sockets?

scrumpymike

I know I've seen something but just can't remember what. I'm using an electro-acoustic as well as my solid-bodied bass in one of my bands and it would be handy to have both plugged in (preferably with different control settings for each) and just switch between the two. I'm looking for something that won't be too rare/expensive on the used market.

An alternative would be to plug some sort of twin-socket adapter in to my existing amp and get the sound differentiation with FX pedals - has anybody done this?

How about 4 channels?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nady-Audio-4-Channel-Active-Powered-Mini-Mixer-VERY-GOOD-CONDITION-/222551442140?hash=item33d11982dc:g:1~IAAOSw8HBZIHBn

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKYTRONIC-4-CHANNEL-MINI-MICROPHONE-MIXER-SUPPLIED-WITH-6-3MM-JACK-TO-JACK-LEAD-/302351668701?hash=item46659055dd:g:59oAAOSwiYFXD6Ty

I've got both - they do want you need them to....and you don't need to change your amp (which I'm assume you're happy with).

Yes, you can use a two way switch - I've got an ABY switch (which I rarely use lol)
Bear in mind, getting the EQ an levels right for 2 instruments on one channel can be tricky!

I have a really tiny head with 2 separately controlled inputs. It's a Euphonic Audio (EA) 550W Micro head
In truth, it's fine as-is for DB, but can be a bit "flat" and hi-fi like for my ears, when plugging a bass guitar in
So I usually end up using a DI / Preamp pedal to beef up the lows and low-mids

[quote name='Steve Browning' timestamp='1500471154' post='3338051']
I use a Lehle switcher which is a great bit of kit. I could route 3 basses through it and switch outputs between the amp and a tuner.

It also has trim pots so I can match the outputs.
[/quote]

Which switcher have you got? Had a quick look online and the ones I saw don't appear to have pot controls. Their Little Dual that switches between 2 amps (or both together into different cab) looks interesting though and could be my best bet so that I have different amp/cab combinations to suit my different basses! Also, I don't really need extra knobs to twiddle and this doesn't appear to have any!

Just re-read the bit in my earlier post re Lehle Little Dual and it doesn't make sense to me any more. If it doesn't make sense to you either, please treat as a 'senior moment' on my part and ignore it (they're getting more frequent these days :blink: ).

If you fancy pushing the boat out! There's a glockenklang blue sky on here! Or the blue soul if you can find one. They both have two inputs and the ability to match the levels and switch :) oh and I think the Epifani 502 does too.

Apologies I've just read the expensive bit-lol

an EBS microbass 2 is good too :)

Edited by lee650

[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1500469693' post='3338037']...An alternative would be to plug some sort of twin-socket adapter in to my existing amp and get the sound differentiation with FX pedals - has anybody done this?
[/quote]
There are lots of twin input preamps out there. What can make difference is if your basses are active/passive. Then you have to choose the right preamp. The EBS MicroBass II has two inputs, one 10 Mohm, and two sets of different EQ, that you can put on each input or combine. The RMI Basswitch has two inputs, one "straight thru" and one with switchable 10 Mohm input and full EQ. Everything depends on the basses you use.

I use my Basswitch with my active Dingwalls in the B-input and let the amp take care of that signal, while I use the A-input (10 Mohm) with EQ to taylor my upright bass tone. For me, that works fine, since I set the amp's EQ almost flat, and occasionally twiddle a bit on the knobs on my e-basses.

Edited by bassmayhem