Why become a member? ×

Flattened frets

BrunoBass

I read a thing recently where Joe Hubbard said he had a Squier Jazz that had the frets flattened so the instrument played like a fretless but still had enough metal in the board for slapping. I'm intrigued - has anybody tried this?

Yes, but not intentionally, and possibly not to the extent Joe Hubbard is talking about! I expect he means flattened VERY close to the fingerboard, which might work just fine if the frets are well seated... The bass I had with flat frets had SHOCKINGLY bad intonation as the witness point (think that's the right term) was effectively on the edge of the fret instead of the center...

Not quite the same thing but i have an old precision with really low frets from years of use, and it feels way better to play than my other 2 precisions. Don't quite know why, perhaps the low frets get you a bit closer to the board which makes it all a bit more responsive. Not at a stage where i'm having intonation issues but they're pretty low compared to the other basses I have.

I remember reading in a bass tuition book, probably coming on for 25 years ago about a fretless with brass fret markers.

Can't for the life of me remember the make/model.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1500565605' post='3338756']
Not quite the same thing but i have an old precision with really low frets from years of use, and it feels way better to play than my other 2 precisions. Don't quite know why, perhaps the low frets get you a bit closer to the board which makes it all a bit more responsive. Not at a stage where i'm having intonation issues but they're pretty low compared to the other basses I have.
[/quote]

My '73 P has alarmingly worn frets but it plays beautifully. I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

[quote name='Jakester' timestamp='1500538174' post='3338489']
Not quite the same thing, but I'm sure I've seen a fretless with a single fret right up at the dusty end to give that 'clank' when slapping.
[/quote]

Yes, I seem to recall Warwick offered that as an option on fretless models in the '80s?

[quote name='Jakester' timestamp='1500538174' post='3338489']
Not quite the same thing, but I'm sure I've seen a fretless with a single fret right up at the dusty end to give that 'clank' when slapping.
[/quote]

I've heard of these too. Rather than a fret I thought it was just a metal plate set in at the end of the fingerboard.