Why become a member? ×

G'day

Tomsk

Hi All,

Long standing Hobby Drummer here looking to expand his very ordinary bass playing. I have been known to plonk about on bass in a pedestrian, workaday fashion under protest and can just about find my way around the fret-board, but have nothing in the way of technique, feel or nuance with either hand.

I am short and fat with small hands so think my best bet would be something with a fast-ish neck and not too heavy.

I know of a 5 string Ibanez sr (305 I think) for sale for beer money which looks like it would fit the bill, a few dings but otherwise sound, looking around they seem to be a respected bit of kit at their price-point. I am concerned about the low B though and don't want to overcomplicate matters.

What do you think?

Tom

Edited by Tomsk

Hi there

Like you I can just about find my way round a fretboard but stuff like technique, feel or nuance are way out of my ability.

You can't go wrong with Ibanez really so I would get it.

I started on 4 strings but now only play 5 stringers and I actually find them easier to play. If your technique isn't perfect then you can get away with playing nearly everything around the 5th fret, so having to go up and down the fretboard whilst still trying to keep time can be a thing of the past if you are a root note, 5th, octave player (like me). But then, as you get better you have those extra notes to play with. I'd go for it :)

Welcome Tom.

Where are you from? Your greeting suggests Australia.

There will be someone along soon to say what they think of their own SR305 no doubt. I am interested to hear what the low B is like too as I am building an Ibanez "tribute" kit from Pit Bull Guitars based on a passive pup set.

The kit has not yet arrived but when I get a look at the neck I am considering modifying it to make a 35 inch scale fretless five out of the 34 inch kit. Not sure how well this would go until I see what I've got to work with. There are those who will say you need an extra long scale for a decent low B sound. I am not sure. If that's the only factor to consider, why do uBasses sound so good?

I'd like to see if a 35 inch low B is an improvement on my current 34. This will be my first attempt at building a guitar. If you are interested, there is a whole sub forum called build diaries here;
http://basschat.co.uk/forum/15-build-diaries/

You will find some awesome projects by BC members if you have a browse.

Anyway, see you on the forum.
Enjoy

Good morning, Tom , and ...

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:167528]

Plenty to read and amuse you here, and lots to learn and share.

Our youngest (coincidentally also names Tom..!) had expressed an interest in playing bass, a few years ago, but wanted, from the outset, a five-string active bass (I already had 4-stringers, but he wanted his own, so...). We bought him a Cort fiver; shortly afterwards I received as a present from our eldest a fretless 6-string, which Tom immediately adopted, and has played nothing since. He learned fast, and quickly become the 'official' bassist in our pop/rock covers band (I play drums, our eldest guitar, plus two buddies...), playing stuff from Muse, RATM, Deus and much more. The scale length, neck width and lack of frets has not made the slightest difference to his progress; he just went with it and ran, although he's more on the 'slightly-built' side. It can be done, so don't be afraid, just jump in and enjoy the swim.
Just my tuppence-worth; hope this helps. B)

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1500544755' post='3338561']
Good morning, Tom , and ...

Plenty to read and amuse you here, and lots to learn and share.

Our youngest (coincidentally also names Tom..!) had expressed an interest in playing bass, a few years ago, but wanted, from the outset, a five-string active bass (I already had 4-stringers, but he wanted his own, so...). We bought him a Cort fiver; shortly afterwards I received as a present from our eldest a fretless 6-string, which Tom immediately adopted, and has played nothing since. He learned fast, and quickly become the 'official' bassist in our pop/rock covers band (I play drums, our eldest guitar, plus two buddies...), playing stuff from Muse, RATM, Deus and much more. The scale length, neck width and lack of frets has not made the slightest difference to his progress; he just went with it and ran, although he's more on the 'slightly-built' side. It can be done, so don't be afraid, just jump in and enjoy the swim.
Just my tuppence-worth; hope this helps. B)
[/quote]

Your Tom has both the benefits of youth and a knowledgeable and interested father.

I am old, knackered and self-taught, cursed with cheaty fingerings that get me through but cannot be unlearned. :)

Edited by Tomsk

[quote name='Tomsk' timestamp='1500567836' post='3338783']...
I am old, knackered and self-taught, cursed with cheaty fingerings that get me through but cannot be unlearned. :)
[/quote]

Yeah, but you're a Drummer, so nothing is impossible..! Stop selling yourself short and get stuck in; it's not rocket surgery. :D :P

[quote name='Tomsk' timestamp='1500567836' post='3338783']
...cheaty fingerings that get me through but cannot be unlearned. :)
[/quote]

Yes... you want to watch those fingerings. They'll get you in deep trouble when you least expect...

[attachment=249526:SidJames.png]

[quote name='Tomsk' timestamp='1500567372' post='3338778']
Thank you alll for both your warm welcome and advice.

Looks like I'm buying the Ibanez tomorrow :)
[/quote]

You might like to do the traditional BassChat thing and declare the arrival of your new instrument with a NBD post in the General forum.

If you choose, you can also make a one line statement in the status field of your profile so that it appears at the top right of the front page. The status field is the bit that says "What's on your mind" when you drop the menu down from your user name at the top right of nearly every BC page.

The day a BC member gets a new bass is called NBD (New Bass Day). Similarly with other gear like a double bass you'd call it a NDBD or an electric upright bass would make it a NEUBD...

Best served with photos or links to photos of the model you've chosen.

Looking forward to hearing about it.

Edited by SpondonBassed