Why become a member? ×

Would like to start using Trace Elliot gear

pburrows

Hi guys

I play in a rock cover band with 2 guitars and a very noisy drummer. I would like to get into Trace gear. What would be a good solid set up for playing in pubs / small clubs? What head / cab / combo should I be looking for? What does everyone think about the older 80's Trace kit? I have a budget of around £800

Great stuff, just hang on until something "tidy" comes up for sale. If it looks knackered then it probably hasn't had an easy life. My favourites are the Mk IV GP11 but a lot have been trashed over the years. An AH150 with modern lighter cabs is a great all rounder.

I'm assuming you're talking about the "classic" TE gear rather than the lightweight Elf which many of us are awaiting the arrival of (mid August predicted currently).

You could do a lot worse than get yourself a GP7 combo - great bit of kit - gives you most tones with a huge kick. You can always add cabs to boost the power but TBH the 300w combos can manage most indoor venues - outdoors, you'll probably have access to a PA anyway.

The only down side is the weight - combo comes in at about 35KG+. As I keep saying "[i]amps didn't get better, they just got lighter[/i]" - nobody sells a TE because it doesn't perform - they sell because they (think they) want to go lightweight. Many former owners coming back to the classic TE gear after finding they can't get what they want from Class D heads.

You can get the same effect by getting yourself a GP7/ AH head (lots of output ranges available) and a TE cab of your choice - essentially chopping the combos in half thus halving the weight - most popular are the 2x12 and 1x15 (bit heavy though) - if you look around you may find a 2x10 + 2x5 cab but these are difficult to get hold of (I have 2). I also have a 1x10 which I didn't know about till finding one for sale. Probably the most desirable is the "Brightbox" - a 5x5" cab - which will give you all the highs/mids you'll need to compliment a 1x15.

There are 2x15 cabs available but I'd only recommend these if you have roadies or you're married to an Osteopath.

I'm not overly familiar with the valve gear - I have a twin valve which gives the classic Trace sound but can also be overdriven by turning up the gain. Also available in 4/6/8 valve versions. Very highly respected bits of kits - you generally have to kill the owners and buy the amps off the bereaved relatives. You will very occasionally see these as combos - 2Elliot recently had one for sale here which we nearly exchanged - he saw the light and decided to keep hold of it.

Prices vary from under £100 if you're happy to do a lot of searching, up to £250-300 for a clean late model. There's one for sale in the Gear For Sale thread for less than £200 - I can't understand why it hasn't sold yet.

I prefer the UK built ones over the USA Peavey models. Info is readily available from Paul Stevens, former CEO who often frequents this forum. Great guy, loads of help and a mine of information.

If you're in the Herts area you're welcome to come and try stuff in various combinations - I've got most of the above.
There are 2x15 cabs available but I'd only recommend these if you have roadies or you're married to an Osteopath.

I've got a couple of Trace heads (no they're not for sale)they're rated at 200 and 250 watts and they're both as loud as my 500 watt Rumble V3, I use them with Fender V2 cabs, I've had a combo but they are heavy, a head with lightweight cab is a nice compromise IMO

[quote name='BassBod' timestamp='1500557113' post='3338689']
Great stuff, just hang on until something "tidy" comes up for sale. If it looks knackered then it probably hasn't had an easy life. My favourites are the Mk IV GP11 but a lot have been trashed over the years. An AH150 with modern lighter cabs is a great all rounder.
[/quote]

I used to use my AH200 with a Vanderkley MNT112 - did everything that you could want. 10KG or so - so light they try to float off on their own - Hen Barn has one for sale here.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/305491-fs-trace-elliot-715-1x15-bass-combo-l195/"]http://basschat.co.u...ass-combo-l195/[/url]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/308721-trace-elliot-bass-amp-ah130s-series-6-l100/"]http://basschat.co.u...-series-6-l100/[/url]

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trace-Elliot-Valve-Series-Bass-Combo-/272754140204?hash=item3f8169e42c:g:GrkAAOSwx3NZYOeN

Edited by TheGreek

Very happy with the AH200 GP7SM head I acquired fairly recently from Deedee on here. Paired with a single Ashdown MAG210T Deep (8ohm, so not producing full output), my CIJ Jazz was superbly snarly at rehearsal last night. :)

The sound is the best I've ever had from any amp. I just couldn't handle the weight living in a second floor flat. Mick bought my combo and extension cab, it was an insanely loud rig but you're getting more than just volume, you get a depth of tone and a presence through the mix that's hard to get from other amps that I've used and it fits any musical situation within reason. I often think an old trace head with lightweight cabs might be my solution one day.
I say buy one, unless weight will trouble you. You wouldn't lose money on it if you chose to sell on and you'd get to experience it properly.

Cheers Lefty, but buy which one? I'm getting bamboozled by all the different options!

[quote name='uk_lefty' timestamp='1500562600' post='3338726']
The sound is the best I've ever had from any amp. I just couldn't handle the weight living in a second floor flat. Mick bought my combo and extension cab, it was an insanely loud rig but you're getting more than just volume, you get a depth of tone and a presence through the mix that's hard to get from other amps that I've used and it fits any musical situation within reason. I often think an old trace head with lightweight cabs might be my solution one day.
I say buy one, unless weight will trouble you. You wouldn't lose money on it if you chose to sell on and you'd get to experience it properly.
[/quote]

[quote name='pburrows' timestamp='1500564997' post='3338749']
Cheers Lefty, but buy which one? I'm getting bamboozled by all the different options!
[/quote]I've got 2 GP12's heads one an SMX and the a series 6, the SMX has more bells and whistles but they sound pretty similar, I got them for under £200 each and they're both in excellent condition, I've also had a 7215 SMC GP7 combo, which I sold because of the weight, they all sound pretty much the same tbh just look out for a good condition one, shouldn't have to pay more than £200 I'd say, have a look on ebay, they're usually collection only so you have to wait for one nearby but they are cheaper that way

Over the years I have played some TE amps as backline and have always had an amazing sound on stage.

I like hitting the amps front end hard with a P-Bass mainly to get a rockier tone and with the TE's it is like heaven.

I am also toying with the idea of going for a TE amp for stage use so let us know how it goes!

My advice is to use a proper (i.e.old range) TE head and then other (i.e. lighter) cab, or cabs.

Any Trace AH200 or AH250 head (whatever the letters afterwards) should have ample power with a decent cab. Remember that their full wattage is into a 4 ohm load. So if you are to use an 8 ohm cab (like me) you will get less volume and will need some decent speaker surface area - I use a good 8 ohm 4x10 - to get good volume.
I used to gig an AH250 head for quite a while through a 2x12, although it was 4 ohms. Both rigs have happily coped with 2 x guitar , pretty loud drummer rock bands.

If you can get your hands on an AH250SMX that would be my ultimate recommendation. IMO, the SMX range are pretty much the pinnacle of bass amp design.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1500667225' post='3339560']
My advice is to use a proper (i.e.old range) TE head and then other (i.e. lighter) cab, or cabs.

Any Trace AH200 or AH250 head (whatever the letters afterwards) should have ample power with a decent cab. Remember that their full wattage is into a 4 ohm load. So if you are to use an 8 ohm cab (like me) you will get less volume and will need some decent speaker surface area - I use a good 8 ohm 4x10 - to get good volume.
I used to gig an AH250 head for quite a while through a 2x12, although it was 4 ohms. Both rigs have happily coped with 2 x guitar , pretty loud drummer rock bands.

If you can get your hands on an AH250SMX that would be my ultimate recommendation. IMO, the SMX range are pretty much the pinnacle of bass amp design.
[/quote]

+ 1 to this.

When I got back into playing a few years back I was given the same advice. An old school Trace head through a lightweight cab is the perfect combination and an AH200 or my fave the 250SMX are ideal. The larger old heads (e.g. Uv lamp models) are great too but they are considerably heavier than the 2u heads.

I personally would go for a model that has both pre-shape 1 and 2. Good luck!

Edited by Deedee

[quote name='pburrows' timestamp='1500564997' post='3338749']
[/quote]

Whatever you can find on here for sale or on gumtree I guess. I'm not up on the model names I'm afraid I just know I like them!

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1500711540' post='3339694']
Drop Thornybank on here a PM - He used to buy and sell lots of TE gear, and is great to deal with.
[/quote]

Seconded! Thornybank responded virtually immediately (one could almost say scarily quickly!) when I posted an "Item Wanted" ad for an SM7EQ pedal.

I used to have three Trace Elliot heads, now I only have the one, though it is the V6. The SMX head I had was really nice, the GP7 SM300 1x15 combo was used for over ten years without any problems. I ended up selling them just because the V6 was getting all of the use for bigger set ups and my Mesa Walkabout was, and still is, my main 'go to' head.

Don't get me wrong, I still like Trace Elliot, I just got fed up of the 'pre shape' function as pretty forming the basis of my sound for so bloody long, it was just time for a change.

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1500744180' post='3339944']
I used to have three Trace Elliot heads, now I only have the one, though it is the V6. The SMX head I had was really nice, the GP7 SM300 1x15 combo was used for over ten years without any problems. I ended up selling them just because the V6 was getting all of the use for bigger set ups and my Mesa Walkabout was, and still is, my main 'go to' head.

Don't get me wrong, I still like Trace Elliot, I just got fed up of the 'pre shape' function as pretty forming the basis of my sound for so bloody long, it was just time for a change.
[/quote]

I don't know why people use them. I'm defo a pre-shape - OFF man

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1500797850' post='3340177']
I don't know why people use them. I'm defo a pre-shape - OFF man
[/quote]I never use the preshape either, sounds good at home but in a band gig situation you need the mids, I've gone from cutting the mids (around the 600hz area) slightly to leaving them alone and having the the bottom three sliders (GP12) right down, anything below 100hz tends to cause boom, on my set up anyway

Edited by PaulWarning

I've been a long time user of trace gear - from a boxer 30 practice to the big daddy (at the time), the 600SMX and my current V4.. I'd say £800 would get you a long way towards a monster rig!

For me, pick of the bunch of the 'traditiional' rigs would be the 400SMX head as it's superbly powerful / loud combined with the 12 band EQ and dual band compressor. They also have the very cool UV light which still look awesome.

As suggested, the cabs are showing their age a bit by now so personally, I'd buy a head and run it with newer speakers. There's nothing wrong wiith the old cabs but they're very heavy and bulky allthough they do have a certain sound to them which you may or may not like. One of the best weight / bulk / output rigs I had was the 300SMX with 2103H (2x10) and 1153 (compact 1x15) which really was an awesome little stack. I have considered re-creating it as took a small footprint.

Most of the combos are pretty good although the older two-tens may not play quite as loudly without complaint as newer versions or other companies models. The single fifteens are solid - the 715 I had worked very well indeed despite an apparent low (150w) power rating. I also had a V-Type 4808 (300w 4x8) which was a lovely sounding thing but my fave combo was probably a Twin Valve which was an all valve 100w 1x15.

As with anything just go try one and see how you go - it might be for you or you might think they're horrible.