Why become a member? ×

Would like to start using Trace Elliot gear

pburrows

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1500798988' post='3340183']
I never use the preshape either, sounds good at home but in a band gig situation you need the mids, I've gone from cutting the mids (around the 600hz area) slightly to leaving them alone and having the the bottom three sliders (GP12) right down, anything below 100hz tends to cause boom, on my set up anyway
[/quote]

Just to clarify, you're quite right that the famed pre-shape 1 just gets lost in the mix. However, using a combination of the graphic and the pre-shapes can give you a very wide range of very usable tones that cut through any mix. Also, just using pre-shape 2 on its own (adjusting the EQ balance to suit the room) has got me straight out of many 'lost in the mix' situations over the years.

[quote name='Deedee' timestamp='1500801152' post='3340199']
Just to clarify, you're quite right that the famed pre-shape 1 just gets lost in the mix. However, using a combination of the graphic and the pre-shapes can give you a very wide range of very usable tones that cut through any mix. Also, just using pre-shape 2 on its own (adjusting the EQ balance to suit the room) has got me straight out of many 'lost in the mix' situations over the years.
[/quote]yes preshape 1 is a no no unless you want boom, preshape 2 is more usable, I came across this somewhere which I found useful
Pre-Shape 1:+6dB at 50Hz and 2kHz, -6dB at 400Hz.
Pre-Shape 2: +5dB at 100Hz, +3dB at 3kHz and -5dB at 650Hz.
I should also add I use a zoom B1on with just the Sansamp Bass drive sim engaged with just the Gain and Blend set to 75 and no added EQ for my 'normal' sound.

The original TE gear was great, but as TheGreek states, really very heavy to lug around. I first had an AH350 head with an 1810 cab - sounded bloody awesome but only gigged it a few times before selling it on. About 10 years later bought an old AH500 head and teamed it up with a couple of Peavey cabs - I think Hamster on here has that TE head now, but definitely a great piece of kit.

Have used some of the later TE gear in rehearsal rooms, but it doesn't even come close. Will be interested to see what the feedback is on the new ELF head.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1500976332' post='3341380']
A good key fact for a newbie to TE's .......... The key to getting a TE head that is liftable is to get a 2u sized one. The 3u ones are simply monstrously heavy.
[/quote]sorry, maybe I'm being really thick but what is this 2u and 3u you talk of?

The 'smaller' heads such as the AH250 SMX, AH200SM and numerous others are all 2 unit Rack size (height). The larger heads such as the AH350, 400, 600 and some of the earlier ones are 3 Unit rack size. They are also far deeper front to back.

Edited by Deedee

[quote name='Deedee' timestamp='1500979428' post='3341411']
The 'smaller' heads such as the AH250 SMX, AH200SM and numerous others are all 2 unit Rack size (height). The larger heads such as the AH350, 400, 600 and some of the earlier ones are 3 Unit rack size. They are also far deeper frint to back.
[/quote]thanks, you learn something everyday

I have a GP11 pre into a Behringer iNuke 2-channel power amp - there's a split output on the GP11 (crossover at 250Hz), which I must admit I've not tried in anger, but could allow splitting between e.g.1x15 & 2x10 with each channel. But for now I just bridge it into a Greenboy Dually 2x15, which sounds ace with a Limelight P bass.

I'd really like a Trace RA600 for the look, though!

15 years of TE here... I just can't see past them. An SVT2 would be nice admittedly but that's only getting heavier....

GP12SMX with an AH250 (actually rated at 300W inside) or my main go to, the V4, combined with TE 2x10 and a 15 has always been more than enough power. I played in a loud band with 3 guitarists and a drum and still had head room with both amps..

Interesting to note about the the preshape 1... preamp valve & graphic on full, preshape 1and the low/high mids bumped (I know this is kind of defeats the purpose), but never had an issue cutting through and the punch and growl is awesome with my G3..

Looking forward to getting an Elf for rehearsals though!

• 2 weeks later...

I used TE for a long time, 9-10 years roughly. For most of that I ran an AH300-7 into two TE 4x10s in a loud punk band and never had a problem with being heard if there was 1 or 2 guitars,mainly 1 though.

For the tail end of that I had the Peavey gen TE which was an AH600-12 into a TE 4x10 and 1x15. Never had a problem being heard there either! Norman Watt Roy actually borrowed this setup from me when he came to play in Aylesbury!

I also ran a TE V6 through both different cab setups, which when it worked properly, sounded really good.

So IMO I had no reliability issues with the main older TE apart from the V6 which would just die and pop valves randomly. The newer Peavey stuff, the cabs were fine but had a lot of issues with the AH600-12 Had to send it back and forth to TE to be fixed numerous times.

So I would say you can't really go wrong with Trace and if they weren't so heavy then I would have stayed with them!

They are also usually easy to find and cheap too for watt they are. (Da dum dum tish)

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1500558127' post='3338697']
As I keep saying "[i]amps didn't get better, they just got lighter[/i]" - nobody sells a TE because it doesn't perform
[/quote]

I did. The fact I later bought a second one, then sold it again, just shows I'm a slow learner.

ive just had the mosfets in my mk5 ah250 replaced by stoneham amplification.the power and tone has been fully restored to what it was like when i bought it new in the 80s.
my own opinion is that when t.e .emerged they raised the bar for bass amplification to a new level that is still valid today.the current prices represent excellent value for money as long as you can manage the weight..ive never had a problem competing with guitarists whatever they were using.

[quote name='Louisss8sss' timestamp='1503593878' post='3359536']
what would you guys say was the best sounding and most affordable gig worthy combo amp to have.
[/quote]
That's always going to be subjective but as for value for money, I defy anyone to beat TE kit. My rig cost less than the price of a cheap head and still competes with anything I have heard. With my thunderbird going through it, it is truly a beast.

Just to say that if you are buying one of the older TEs, then unless you know the service history, I think you are going to find the performance a bit variable. Its also going to be very hard to tell by looking at the external condition. I have a 715 combo which is absolutely mint externally, but which sounds nothing like how I remember them - flat, dull, lifeless, crackly and pretty uninspiring all round. I'm sure a decent service and reservoir caps change would transform it, so budget for a service as well.

[quote name='jensenmann' timestamp='1500743477' post='3339939']
I never cared much for TE amps until the series 6 SMX heads appeared. They were a game changer for me. I still play the SMX600 head I bought in 2000, though I´d never use it for recording. But for giging they are the weapon.
[/quote]

[quote name='jensenmann' timestamp='1500743477' post='3339939']
I never cared much for TE amps until the series 6 SMX heads appeared. They were a game changer for me. I still play the SMX600 head I bought in 2000, though I´d never use it for recording. But for giging they are the weapon.
[/quote]funnily enough when we were recording our latest album the engineer said "you're not going to use the Fender Rumble for recording are you?" "no says I I've got T E SMX GP12 now" and his little eyes lit up, got a really good bass sound on the album, so ones mans meat and all that

Hi all, I'm the new kid and happy to be here. Trace Elliot ahhh. I've been using it now for 17 years and have nothing but praise for it. My rig is an AH600smx with 4x10 and 2x10 cabs bi-amped and it's as good now as when it was new really so delve in and enjoy. Played last night and together with my p bass got a lovely growl I think would be lacking with enything else tbh. Drawbacks, weight...
Yes it's been said many times on this forum but hey, no pain,no gain so buy with confidence and get a roadie to help.
The newer Trace I've tried and not really liked so go for the pre Gibson stuff when Trace Elliot ruled the bass world and for me still does.