Why become a member? ×

Bergantino HT112's speaker change.

geoff90guitar

I've got two Berg HT112 cabs and Im driving them with a Trace SMX300. It's a fabulous sound but these cabs are hungry and at times I feel I could use even more power but I don't want to destroy the speakers by distortion.
Best Trace only went up to about 400W, but these cabs really need a good feed with about 900W up them.
Unfortunately with the power requirement, I've had to go class D amps and I'm just keeping interest.
I'm thinking of replacing the Berg speakers with a common Eminence 250W so that my SMX300 would be happier.
Is this an expensive experiment? I'm sure the cab size would be fine with the new speakers.

Ok pro, thanks for that, it's given me confidence to continue with my Trace and Bergs. It's just that this new stuff goes up and up in power.
Personally I've never ruined a speaker over the 53 years I've been gigging. I'd like to think I can go another 10years, maybe then I'll use matchbox gear.

If you aren't already, pull the 30hz EQ slider down on the graphic and level the 40hz slider too, but boost your bass frequencies around 100Hz+ instead - also add some more midrange too. You'll be able to appear louder without wasting energy on flapping speakers around :) Better still, grab something the the Thumpinator by SFX Then turn that volume up :)