Why become a member? ×

Buying guitars on the internet

Nicko

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1500788060' post='3340130']
I have bought every instrument I own on-line or, in the olden days, by mail order. Never had a problem until I bought my Ovation Custom Legend from Thomann but they sorted out a replacement without any difficulty. My experience suggests that the risks associated with buying on line are about who you buy from.
[/quote]

I had no problem with a Squier bass I bought from a big retailer, but when I bought a Hofner bass from a reputable--at least very well-known--(American) dealer online, I had problems. The site declared that he did his own set-up, but it turned out that he had someone else do it. The action was so high the bass was nearly unplayable. I knew a bass of that kind required a somewhat higher action, but this was a lot too high. I had a luthier reduce it, then reduced it myself a bit more. I wouldn't again buy a hollow-body bass online; too many variables to consider.

Edited by Wylie

:) Threads like this reinforce my opinion that we should all learn how to do a basic set up.

It's easy enough to do if one follows the guidelines, everything is reversable, there's loads of YT vids and a fantastic knowledge base here on BC. Most of us have (most) of the basic tools in the kitchen drawer while Allen keys, radius gauges and truss rod adjusters are cheap enough on the web.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1502041579' post='3348920']
:) Threads like this reinforce my opinion that we should all learn how to do a basic set up.

It's easy enough to do if one follows the guidelines, everything is reversable, there's loads of YT vids and a fantastic knowledge base here on BC. Most of us have (most) of the basic tools in the kitchen drawer while Allen keys, radius gauges and truss rod adjusters are cheap enough on the web.
[/quote]

Agreed. Adjusting my rod worries me slightly (gfaw gfaw) as does taking a file to my nuts.

I purchased a bass from France without any issues on here

Also purchased a bass from another euro country , 1 min Skype with the owner told me he was a genuine guy with knowledge of all things bass

As long as there's feedback or some sort of connection im comfortable up to a certain amount

All my current basses are 2nd hand at least

Edited by lojo