Why become a member? ×

Buying guitars on the internet

Nicko

Not much scope for 'showrooming' in my corner of the planet, and I can do a set-up as well as most shops, at least. No problem with buying unseen on t'web, either new or s/h; I trust my own judgement and accept the consequences. I've yet to be disappointed.
I did, once (no, come to think of it; twice..!) buy from a shop; both were 'impulse' buys, in that the guitars in question were screaming at me 'Buy me..! Buy me..!' and I didn't want to leave 'em like that. My drums, too, came from a shop, but I didn't get to try 'em until I got home, so... To each his/her own, of course.

While it's always best to try before you buy, that's not always possible. I have bought two basses on the Internet with no problems at all. The least of my problems would be the set up, as I usually do my own. Besides, lots of people have their own personal set up preferences. If you can't do a set up, it could be done by an expert for a reasonable fee.

If I can't get what I want locally, I would buy on line again.

However...as Dad3353 says...to each his/her own. ;)

Nothing wrong buying online. I set it up to my likings.
However, I recently purchased a guitar from one of the big boys shops and after 5 mins of setting it up I put it back in box and called then back asking for a replacement but eventually went for a refund. I'm not going to name them as they dealt with the matter professionally.
This won't stop me from buyibg online.

[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1500733716' post='3339869']
Nothing wrong buying online. I set it up to my likings.
However, I recently purchased a guitar from one of the big boys shops and after 5 mins of setting it up I put it back in box and called then back asking for a replacement but eventually went for a refund. I'm not going to name them as they dealt with the matter professionally.
This won't stop me from buyibg online.
[/quote]

May we know what the reason was for returning the guitar?

For new basses I thinks it's fine although I would still much rather try every example of a bass in a shop's stock as inevitably you will bond with one more than the others. Also there are worse ways to spend an afternoon.

For vintage it is more risky. Look on eBay and sometimes on dealers' websites and there is often a large dose of wishful thinking when it comes to originality. I have bought vintage online but wouldn't again.

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1500725554' post='3339812']
I'e always avoided doing it because I've always been worried that the guitar will not be set up as well as one in a shop. Am I being stoopid?

I'm quite happy to showroom to find the right guitar.
[/quote]

In my 36 years of playing, I have to say even a badly setup bass from a private seller will be better than any from a shop.

NB except my old fave shop where the guy in charge of the bass section was an actice bass player who did fantastic setups. Every other shop? rubbish setups straight from the factory.

I have bought every instrument I own on-line or, in the olden days, by mail order. Never had a problem until I bought my Ovation Custom Legend from Thomann but they sorted out a replacement without any difficulty. My experience suggests that the risks associated with buying on line are about who you buy from.

I've bought and sold 28 basses on eBay or here and 1 from a shop. I've never been scammed, and only once regretted the purchase because the bass itself wasn't what what I expected. Twice I've needed to return for a refund and had no issue. Bass owners tend to be knowledgable and technically capable. I have rarely met a shop guy who knew more than me, and some who didn't even know their own stock. So in my view your approach is not one I'd adopt.

I bought my Steiny Spirit new from what used to be Digital Village. They price matched it to the one on the Thomann site at the time. They went bust shortly after. Now, I believe they trade as DV247. Although I researched online I made the purchase by telephone. I don't subscribe to Internet banking nowadays.

The bass came set up with a low action that needed very little adjustment after bedding in.

I thought all bassists tweaked their instruments. If you have any sort of mechanical sympathy you shouldn't go far wrong with minor adjustments on receipt of an instrument. As already mentioned above guidance is abundant on the 'net.

If you want a super-duper set-up, I'd suggest you play the instrument as it is (if it is playable at all) for a bit first. If you do this before you hand the instrument over for an expert set-up it will give the strings, machine heads and saddles a work out that will remove production high spots and lessen the chance of you having to do another set-up before it is due.

Edited by SpondonBassed

being a lefty buying from a shop isn't really an option, "we can get you one on special order sir", plus I can't really tell if a guitar/bass suits my needs until I've lived with it for a whille, I never buy new either, that way if I don't get on with it I can move it on without losing a lot of money

I've bought my last two basses sight unseen online.

The first was a Squier Jazz from Andertons, the first one they sent me was set up okay, but the back pickup broke within a week, I was able to exchange it no problems and the next one they sent me was technically faultless, although I did set it up to my preferences.

Then , back in January, I got a Mexican Precision Special from Guitar Guitar. I was really impressed with the set up on that one, the intonation was spot on and the action, which I'd describe as medium low, was perfect for me.

My next buy will almost certainly be a Sire V7 fretless and I have absolutely no qualms about ordering one online.

Edited by Cato

The last time I bought a bass I had tried in the shop first I had sold it again within 6 months. I don't think I've ever moved on a bass quite so quickly.

Also there is no such thing as a good set up. Only a set up that suits you. Everyone is different and will want slightly different things from a set up.

Edited by BigRedX

Try before you buy is always the best option, especially if you're spending a lot of money. However, saying that, I have bought some great guitars online.

All 3 of my basses were online purchases, as were both electrics. Only 1 acoustic (solid wood) was a shop bought guitar.

Local shops should always be supported, but if you're after something different or a little bit special, then why not. Remember to get plenty of pictures, some detail off the vendor, and if anything doesn't feel "right", then walk away, something else will turn up soon.

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1501108024' post='3342636']
Try before you buy is always the best option, especially if you're spending a lot of money. However, saying that, I have bought some great guitars online.

All 3 of my basses were online purchases, as were both electrics. Only 1 acoustic (solid wood) was a shop bought guitar.

Local shops should always be supported, but if you're after something different or a little bit special, then why not. Remember to get plenty of pictures, some detail off the vendor, and if anything doesn't feel "right", then walk away, something else will turn up soon.
[/quote]

I'm on the outskirts of London, and "local" guitar shops are few and far between in my area, but there's loads of choice in town. The item I'm looking at isn't stocked at many places and where it is stocked its expensive compared to ordering on line - only by 30 or 40 quid. Plenty of places I've been will set up the guitar to your liking at no extra when you buy.

Bit of both for me. Both my Fenders bought new from GAK and both ok. Little bit of tweaking when i got them but i do that with all basses.
Also Jaydee from Bass Direct and same there little bit of tweakng and hey ho.

Other basses i tried before buying and still had to tweak a little.

If its a recognised manufacturer then should be reasonably ok. Do some research on the bass in question before buying to see how the quality control is.

Dave

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1501158127' post='3342915']
I'm on the outskirts of London, and "local" guitar shops are few and far between in my area, but there's loads of choice in town. The item I'm looking at isn't stocked at many places and where it is stocked its expensive compared to ordering on line - only by 30 or 40 quid. Plenty of places I've been will set up the guitar to your liking at no extra when you buy.
[/quote]

I think a trip into town is in order then. If the bass you're after is only £30-40 more than online, then it's worth the trip as you're not saving that much, and you can actually get your hands on the bass and play it, the shop should do you a setup & fresh strings as part of the deal, rather than buying new strings & setting it up yourself.

In comparison, there are 2 music shops about 13 miles away, there's another 1 about 50 miles away, and a few more over 100 miles away. Most of these shops only have a handful of basses in stock, and even then, it's a limited choice. Buying online is basically my only choice. When I lived in Yorkshire, there was a great shop that was only a few miles away from the house & they stocked quite a lot of really good basses, they were always worth a visit because of the service you'd get.

Well, the stores local to me are always full of people pulling the guitars off the wall, so I wouldn't in anyway pay the full asking price on those guitars, unless it was a very fine specimen.

It's hit and miss. Luckily I've become a little less picky over the past few years and started to just enjoy it for what it is, but...I still wouldn't accept too many QC issues from an online retailer.

Recent Les Paul Tribute from Richtone is superb....I'm surprised! Beautiful finish and feel. Sounds absolutely fantastic. Made in the USA. under £600?!?!? There are still bargains out there, but not many.

I say shop online if you can. You have more rights should it not be up to standard.

Generally you can do much better online price wise - the Ibanez SR1400 due to arrive this week was £200 cheaper online than in my local Dawsons and I'm sure I can set it up much better than they can( I did ask if they would price match and they couldn't). If you buy online you are hopefully getting a new out of the box guitar ,not something played by 100's of punters which leads to the inevitable minor blemishes. Just be sure to give it a really good once over to sure there are no paint blemishes or neck pocket cracks which can kill any resale value when you want to sell it when you're gassing for something else down the line.

Edited by edstraker123