Why become a member? ×

My amp needs to forgive me.

scalpy

After literally years of procrastinating, i braved it out and took the lid of my little mark tube to clean the volume knob. To my horror I found the internals covered in dust. Not dust bunnies, dust hares. I had waved a hoover in the general direction of the fan and heatsinks once or twice and thought job done but this was ridiculous. Forgot to get pics unfortunately. Anyway, I can't be the only one to commit heinous acts of neglect or mistreatment to their amp- what do you lot need to 'fess up to?

All amps with cooling fans need a regular clean. The fans suck dust inside and it coats the components, as you've found. Can act like an insulating blanket and cause overheating when you drive the amp hard. The best way I've found is to brush it off with a soft paintbrush, whilst folding the hoover tube near but without actually touching to suck it away.

In the 90's I had a residency in a working men's club in Hull, 3 nights a week in a good band.
Used my Ampeg SVT rig with 810 cab which was placed at the back of the stage, and gave a great
sound. After about 3 years, I joined a pro function band, and so went to the club to take the rig down.
On moving the amp from the cab, I saw that the rear panel (which was perforated metal to protect the
valves) was almost entirely blocked/covered in a yellowy orange substance. This was pre smoking
ban days of course, so the amp's fan had sucked in nicotine heavy air for 3 years, and still never missed a beat.
Dread to think that my lungs had been doing the same too....

You have to hoover out the inside of your amp? Really? I've never done that.

I can see through the ventilation slots in my amp of a few years, TH500, and it's clean. All my gear lives in cases when they are not being gigged. Seems to be enough protection.

Just a word of caution if you aren't an electronics expert. First unplug the mains, obvious but people forget. Be aware that some amps store a charge which can last for hours after the amp is disconnected so you can still get a potentially lethal shock some time after the amp is switched off.

Finally realise that the amp is often fairly delicate once the case is opened, they aren't designed to have people poking around inside so be very gentle, I use an air brush but a soft brush used gently and sensibly is a resonable thing but be careful or you'll do more damage than the dust will.

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1500877308' post='3340681']
In the 90's I had a residency in a working men's club in Hull, 3 nights a week in a good band.
Used my Ampeg SVT rig with 810 cab which was placed at the back of the stage, and gave a great
sound. After about 3 years, I joined a pro function band, and so went to the club to take the rig down.
On moving the amp from the cab, I saw that the rear panel (which was perforated metal to protect the
valves) was almost entirely blocked/covered in a yellowy orange substance. This was pre smoking
ban days of course, so the amp's fan had sucked in nicotine heavy air for 3 years, and still never missed a beat.
Dread to think that my lungs had been doing the same too....
[/quote]

Indeed. You only have to think of Roy Castle to have that illustrated pretty clearly.

I played in WMCs for a number of years pre-smoking ban. I played sax and the sax still smells of stale smoke. The sax (obviously) is brass, so I presume it hasn't absorbed the smoke... maybe it's stuck on like a micro-layer of goo. Funnily enough, the plush lined case is not so bad, probably because it was always kept closed.

I recently bought a used Ashdown ABM amp. Every time I switch it on and the fans kick in, the room gets a waft of Glade plug in air freshener. Must have been stored in someones lounge. Thing is I hate the smell of such things, it gives me migraines. Had the amp apart a few times to clean but cant get rid of the smell!

Had the same problem with used basses too. Aftershave all over the neck!!

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1500877710' post='3340684']

I can see through the ventilation slots in my amp of a few years, TH500, and it's clean. All my gear lives in cases when they are not being gigged. Seems to be enough protection.
[/quote]

It was a surprise to me too! My stuff is all stored in cases but I think what's done it is doing a lot of orchestral pit work. All the crap gets shunted around with people dancing and we often get fogged out by smoke and dry ice. All those particles must have piled up over the years.

Thank you for the safety warning too. That was one of my main concerns in the first place. I was super careful using the vacuum- only thing is now my wife wants me to that careful with the skirting boards!

Edited by scalpy

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1500877710' post='3340684']
[/quote]
I can vouch for that having just cleaned the inside of the Thunderfunk I bought of Chris recently :huh:

Just to qualify, it really wasn't that bad but I always check the inside of any amp I buy just so I know exactly what I have

Edited by Captain Rumble