Why become a member? ×

Ibanez SR basses

Woodinblack

Woodinblack said:

A thread has someone that created it, it doesn't have an owner, it goes where it goes.
Had I not being buying the 4005, I would have got the SR5, so either way I would have come back with a bass that day. And I did buy strings...

Zen and the art of BC threads.

When you say a 4005, I take that you mean a Rickenbacker? From your footer you seem to have seven (yes seven!) Ibbys. You like them, right? So I have to take you seriously on all matters having become a recent Ibby convert / devotee as you're obviously the chief mouse of this cult.

But no 4005 anywhere to be seen?...So what was the score on that one or did I miss the coming and going of this on the "why I should avoid a Rickenbacker thread"?

Edited by Al Krow

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1502988635' post='3354906']
Zen and the art of BC threads.
When you say a 4005, I take that you mean a Rickenbacker?
[/quote]

No, I mean a SR5005, I wrote the number down wrong!

From your footer you seem to have seven (yes seven!) Ibbys.
[/quote]

7 Ibby basses, yes, I sold the SR505 and the BTB. I also have a SAS36FM guitar.

You like them, right? So I have to take you seriously on all matters having become a recent Ibby convert / devotee as you're obviously the chief mouse of this cult.
[/quote]

There is an Ibanez SR4005, it was the previous prestige 5 string model before the 5005. A very orangy mahogany I think. I don't have one though (and it would be unlikely I did).
I will probably trim the collection down at some point - the fanfret one isn't getting played much live (not because of the fan frets, just not that keen on the sound), so I will probably ship that out. The ATK is there for me to modify.

I wouldn't avoid a rickenbacker specifically, I have played one many times, but never owned one. I had a rockinbetter, which is how I got to chat with the lovely Mr Hall, but it wouldn't put me off one, just I have never been impressed enough to spend the money on one, and frankly i really don't play 4 string basses much any more. I wouldn't get rid of my SR1000 though, it was the first ibanez I got and it plays so well.

My ebay SR700 arrived today - 2 days ahead of schedule and it is absolutely immaculate. Set up really nicely - really low action and no buzz. Nice leather strap in the case with gold straplocks and the 'proper' hard case is unmarked and still had the plastic coating on the SDGR label.
The Bartolini's are a different sound to the Nordy's - I don't like them as much - not as defined a sound and a little warmer but they are crying out for a set of flatwounds. I wish Optima made gold flatwounds I love their rounds. Probably go for Deep Talkin' or a set of Chromes.Might just be the best value bass I've bought !
Is there a short scale SR - I'd love to set one up piccolo ?

edstraker123 said:

The Bartolini's are a different sound to the Nordy's - I don't like them as much - not as defined a sound and a little warmer but they are crying out for a set of flatwounds.

Interesting and seems to confirm the consensus on this thread, which is that the Nords on SR Premium are pretty universally liked, the bespoke Barts on the SR Prestige also, and these both represent a step up from the "standard" Barts on the SR Standard range.

Edited by Al Krow

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1503056745' post='3355352']
Interesting and seems to confirm the consensus on this thread, which is that the Nords on SR Premium are pretty universally liked, the bespoke Barts on the SR Prestige also, and these both represent a step up from the "standard" Barts on the SR Standard range.
[/quote]

LOL..... I think that just about sums it up! The licensed MK1 Barts on the standard series suck! The USA custom Barts on the Prestige are the only Barts worth owning! ;) The Nordy Big Singles on the Premiums definitely get a thumbs up! On the standards (and below the Premium) the SR650/750 are the odd ones out, by not using the licensed Barts. They use CNDs (Carey Nordstrand Designed). They also get a thumbs-up! Interesting thread, how that come about, with Carey posting over on TB, [url="https://www.talkbass.com/threads/new-nordstrand-cnd-p-j-pickups-found-on-ibanez-sr650-sr750.1127775/"]New Nordstrand CND P & J Pickups?? Found on Ibanez SR650 & SR750[/url]

EDIT: The latest gen Ibby Powerspan, with the exposed pole pieces, that they use on the models lower than SR500, is not only a huge step-up on the previous gen Powerspan, I'd rather have that than the licensed Bart anyway.

Edited by clivem
  • Like 1

[quote name='edstraker123' timestamp='1502994357' post='3354959']
My ebay SR700 arrived today - 2 days ahead of schedule and it is absolutely immaculate. Set up really nicely - really low action and no buzz. Nice leather strap in the case with gold straplocks and the 'proper' hard case is unmarked and still had the plastic coating on the SDGR label.
The Bartolini's are a different sound to the Nordy's - I don't like them as much - not as defined a sound and a little warmer but they are crying out for a set of flatwounds. I wish Optima made gold flatwounds I love their rounds. Probably go for Deep Talkin' or a set of Chromes.Might just be the best value bass I've bought !
[b]Is there a short scale SR - I'd love to set one up piccolo ?[/b]
[/quote]

http://www.dawsons.co.uk/ibanez-2016-gsrm20b-short-scale-bass-guitar-walnut-flat

At that price I'm not sure it would be up to much but I've not tried one.

At last some Ibanez love, thanks for starting the thread Woodinblack

The first bass that I felt made me feel that I was hitting the spot was an awesome SR3005e. I bought it and eventually sold it on here but always remember it as being a fantastic bass. From memory I sold it because that I kept fiddling with the adjustible mids in an OCD type way and was moving towards a slightly wider string spacing.

Just recently I got an ATK 805 which I am besotted with and have recently added one of these. The eveness of the gorgous tones both across and up and down the fret board mean't that I had eyes for no other :gas: : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2osFbwuOyEE

I'm still on honeymoon!

I'm intrigued as to why MK1 Barts have such a bad reputation - this isn't the first place I've seen people say that they're not much good. In my SR700 they seem OK - I admit I've not spent much time with the bass yet, but initial impressions through a GK MB500 into two Mark Bass 12s were good.
Does anybody know anybody who has swapped out the Barts for Nordy big singles? I'm tempted to do so if [a] I manage to sell my Yamaha and [b] the general concensus is that it's worth the effort - I'm never likely to have SR Premium type money and I'm not a huge fan of the current bunch of finishes.
And yeah, like Pinball, really enjoying a decent Ibby thread. My first one was an SR300 in pewter that I foolishly moved on (it didn't sound good through an Orange 50W combo...). Would love to try an SR300e at some point.

Edited by anzoid

Hi anzoid.

I have a SR750 and they are indeed licensed Nordstrand pickups but it is a cracking piece of kit. The eq is really good on these especially with the active passive option.

The only thing I would say about it is that due to the natural wood finish, the body is very easily dinged. Or mojoed if you like!

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1503171756' post='3356258']
Hi anzoid.

I have a SR750 and they are indeed licensed Nordstrand pickups but it is a cracking piece of kit. The eq is really good on these especially with the active passive option.

The only thing I would say about it is that due to the natural wood finish, the body is very easily dinged. Or mojoed if you like!
[/quote]
Thanks jezzaboy - think I need to save up for one these...
I'm pretty careful with my stuff so hopefully I won't create an early relic if I do buy one :D

[quote name='anzoid' timestamp='1503171005' post='3356247']
I'm intrigued as to why MK1 Barts have such a bad reputation - this isn't the first place I've seen people say that they're not much good. In my SR700 they seem OK - I admit I've not spent much time with the bass yet, but initial impressions through a GK MB500 into two Mark Bass 12s were good.
Does anybody know anybody who has swapped out the Barts for Nordy big singles? I'm tempted to do so if [a] I manage to sell my Yamaha and [b] the general concensus is that it's worth the effort
[/quote]
I agree the barts are good. Thats why other makes like Cort use them and you get a lot for your money. I think that they are a victim of their own success as people want to move on to try and improve their sound. The custom barts and eq in the Prestige basses are fantastic. Trends may have moved on but that doesn't detract from barts IMHO.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1503180148' post='3356322']
I got my ATK305 in a trade, and I don't like the colour (so the idea was always to strip it down and repaint it), but the sound and playability is great.
I love the look of the BTBs, but sadly they are way too big for me, get lost between the strings.
[/quote]
I haven't tried many Ibby basses outside the SR series but you seem to get what you get what you pay for. The SR Prestiges instruments have been hitting the right spot for years but the Premiums are now of a similar quality.
I tried an ATK 200 way back and wasn't that impressed. That particular one seemed heavy, clumbersome and underpowered compared to the SR's. The ATK 8005 I have now is a different beast. It is lighter, with a fatter more rounded, more payable neck profile and pronounced growl....the band really love it.

The same story with a BTB as a few years back. Way back I tried a 400 and found it a bit OK but unrefined and uninspiring...I would never have looked at another but I really like a local Bristol band called the Funkinsteins. Baz the bass player, plays a higher end BTB to good effect, As a result I tried an 1805 and then simply had to have it. The higher end Ibbys are a step up and have developed into superb instruments.

All good news for buyers I think.

Edited by Pinball

[quote name='anzoid' timestamp='1503171005' post='3356247']
And yeah, like Pinball, really enjoying a decent Ibby thread. My first one was an SR300 in pewter that I foolishly moved on (it didn't sound good through an Orange 50W combo...). Would love to try an SR300e at some point.
[/quote]

Yeah, definitely try the "E" with the exposed pole piece pickups. A big step up from the old pups they put on the 300 series. Those 300E series and 370Es (with the maple body) are such good bang for the buck! With the powertap setting it's so easy to get a ballsy tone with "bite" and it seems that when I switch back from a higher series bass to the SR370E or SR375E I'm not having to settle for less...... I think I paid £150 for the 370e and £170 for the 375e, both second-hand, but mint. Outrageous value for money! That's the only problem with them, you buy em new, your going to take a haircut selling them used, but great from a buying perspective. ;)

clivem said:

That's the only problem with them, you buy em new, your going to take a haircut selling them used, but great from a buying perspective.

My guess is that as word gets out just how good the the new Ibbys are, in particular the SR Premium range with its Nord pups, it's going to become more difficult to find these newer models at "bargain basement" second hand Ibby prices and they will retain their value better. Good old fashioned supply and demand! I hung around for several months to get hold of a newish second hand SR Premium in good condition with the fabled second hand discount, but the one or two that had gone on the market in the previous 6 months had all been pretty quickly snapped up. In the end I bit the bullet and got a new one (at a good price from Wunjos) and I'm delighted with it!

Edited by Al Krow

Now feeling torn - took the SR700 for its first outing today and was, to be honest, a little disappointed with it at gig volume... though this could be just because I didn't get the tone dialled in right on the first attempt and I'm not used to active basses as haven't played one for a while. The neck was also felt a bit sticky... or that was just me... Will try it again next week and see if I can get more time to fiddle with the sound. I use a wireless setup and from a distance it sounded reasonably good (mids were a bit forward) but standing next to my rig it just seemed a bit wooly. However, weight and general feel was lovely and digging in everything felt solid and well put together.

Still GASing for the SR750 - the licensed Nordys are calling out to me... :D Though a couple of places they're marked as "Discontinued"?!? Is that for real?

Unless I can pick up a 300e secondhand I don't think I'll be getting one anytime soon - but not seen many come up secondhand... as mentioned, don't need want to get a haircut when I'm not 100% sure it's something I'd hold onto long(ish)-term.

[quote name='burno70' timestamp='1503129819' post='3355857']
[url="http://www.dawsons.co.uk/ibanez-2016-gsrm20b-short-scale-bass-guitar-walnut-flat"]http://www.dawsons.c...tar-walnut-flat[/url]

At that price I'm not sure it would be up to much but I've not tried one.
[/quote]

Already had one and sold it ! I put flats on it and it was a bit weird.

I've been looking at the src6 crossover

https://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_src6_wnf.htm

but it looks like the same ugly walnut finish as the cheap one in your link.

The SR1400 MLG is down to £899 in Andertons although they aren't expecting delivery until October.

[quote name='edstraker123' timestamp='1503238414' post='3356603']
Already had one and sold it ! I put flats on it and it was a bit weird.

I've been looking at the src6 crossover

[url="https://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_src6_wnf.htm"]https://www.thomann....ez_src6_wnf.htm[/url]

but it looks like the same ugly walnut finish as the cheap one in your link.

The SR1400 MLG is down to £899 in Andertons although they aren't expecting delivery until October.
[/quote]

I think the SRC6 is a baritone guitar rather than a proper bass.

That's an incredible price for a 1400!

You left out the Bongo from your list! :P

[quote name='burno70' timestamp='1503259310' post='3356801']
I think the SRC6 is a baritone guitar rather than a proper bass.

That's an incredible price for a 1400!

You left out the Bongo from your list! :P
[/quote]

How could I forget - it was the only one that ever had red and black strings (at the same time ) ! Saw a new one going for £1850 before - remember I got it from ebay brand new for £800 - if only the body had been a bit smaller .

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1503260287' post='3356812']
£499 BIN for a SR with big singles? sounds like a score!

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ibanez-SR4XXV-Premium-Limited-Edition-4-string-Active-Bass-Quick-Release-Strap-/172828364600?hash=item283d5f8f38:g:PisAAOSw9ENZmVNV"]http://www.ebay.co.u...isAAOSw9ENZmVNV[/url]
[/quote]

Go on you know it makes sense !

I have an SR6, its pretty good but it is more deep guitar than bass.

I took the SR5005 out for a gig yesterday, and the 1605 out for a gig today, and revelled in the way that both of them sounded, probably more noticable today as yesterday we were on the back of a truck and it was a bit harder to hear.